Get better calling service on your iPhone and turn your iPod Touch into a phone! Give your device two calling lines and a bunch of advanced calling feautres!
Apple isn't very keen on allowing 3rd party apps mimic or do essentially the same thing that is already natively done by the iPhone. Making phone calls seems like the most obvious native function of the iPhone, even though we all know it is definitely a better computer than it is a phone (*cough* thanks AT&T). An app called Line2 does exactly that with your iPhone - it makes calls using a clone interface of the iPhone's calling features. It makes calls so well that it can even place and receive them with your iPod touch thanks to VOIP.
Review by: David Prager
With hundreds of apps to choose from for your iPhone, Android or whatever smartphone you may have, how do know what's worth the download? AppJudgment is your daily source for phone app reviews and previews.
Want the most recent episode of this show always up to date on your website? Use this self-updating embed code!
Version 2.3 | Developed by Developer: Toktumi, Inc | 3.7MB | $0.99 (30 day trial, then $15/month)
- Free wifi calls using VOIP
- A dedicated second line accessible by your iPhone
- Turns your iPod Touch into a true sending and receiving phone if you have wifi
- Voicemails get sent to you as email
- Lots of additional google voice type features including multiple forwarding options
- No text messages
- Must be running to accept calls via VOIP and to display caller ID associations from Line2's address book - when iPhone OS4 with multi-tasking comes out, this will NOT be a problem
- It doesn't seem to show missed calls well or consistently
- You don't always know if a call is coming in on Line2 or your iPhone's number
Line2 charges $1 for the app because they are using real phone numbers to dish out for free trials and don't want a zillion users with no intention of possibly signing up to pay $15 a month for the service. Line2 is made for folks who spend a lot of time on the phone for both personal and business reasons with a diverse number of people. It's also made for people who feel pretty selective about who they'd like to give their number or who they'd like to allow to call them at given times. Line2 is designed to really help you customize that phone experience. If any part of that description is you, then this is definitely a download.