Looking for an alternate to your iPhone's Safari web browser? Stephanie Chu shows you the newly released, FREE Opera Mini Web browser, which seems anything but mini!
In what seems to be a surprise approval by Apple, Opera Mini Web Browser hit the iTunes app store this week in an attempt to blow Safari out of the water. With a slew of useful features, Opera steps up your browsing experience with one-tap thumbnail bookmarks which they call "speed dial" and tabbed browsing for multitasking on several web pages. You can also save content for reading offline and privacy preferences are readily available.
The app isn't without flaws (strange rendering at times, some UI nitpicks), but it's worth checking out.
Review by: Stephanie Chu
With hundreds of apps to choose from for your iPhone, Android or whatever smartphone you may have, how do know what's worth the download? AppJudgment is your daily source for phone app reviews and previews.
Want the most recent episode of this show always up to date on your website? Use this self-updating embed code!
Version 5.0 | Developed by Opera Software ASA | 1 MB | Free
- Great "speed dial" home screen
- Easy to use/manage bookmarks
- Quick loading with image preferences
- Privacy settings
- URL autofill
- Offline content saving
- Cannot be used as your iPhone's default browser
- Sometimes renders pages strangely
- Title bar unnecessary; takes up screen real estate
- Zoom doesn't use standard iPhone behavior (one tap vs. pinch)