PDA

View Full Version : Another PS3 vs Xbox rant.

bulletpoof
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Ok I guess this rivalry has gone on too long and Xbox seems to be edging ahead a little more than the PS3. But with the TRS guys having both the consoles I guess this topic will be rather redundant. But lets open this topic up to guys who wanna own just one platform.

I have some questions brewing in my mind and maybe lets discuss this to see if there are any logic to these questions.

We all know that Microsoft (MS) is all about profit and making money. See how much they would go to promote Halo 3, we know they are really serious about this. So I have a funny feeling that they have the next version of the Xbox ready.
Why? well first of all, the various hardware issues they have with the current Xbox360 is hurting them really bad.
Secondly, PS3 seems to have higher superiority in terms of processor speed and graphical power, although the current crop of games are nothing to shout about now.
And thirdly, they don't seem to highlight anything on the future title is the previous E3.

I believe there will be more titles coming out from sony's camp that will highlight more and more flaws in the xbox360 to further push the MS camp into high alert. Although this will really be more noticeble sometime mid of next year.

So tell me guys, do you think this is gonna happen?
Also will PS3 start to rise from the dumps?.

kevinsand
10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I Have been Playstation since the beginning when Nintendo dumped the idea and stuck with there cartridges, Hell I Didn't even buy and original Xbox till after the 360 came out.

I would be lying if I said that Halo 3 didn't influence my 360 purchase but till PS3 shows some sign of some good games Like Gears, & Bioshock, that are worth my hard earned $ to buy a $599.99 PS3 (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/PlayStation-3/sem/rpsm/catOid/-16622/N/20012841+20016481+20016622/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do?WT.mc_n=475593&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=PAID%20SEARCH&cm_cat=ADVERTISING.COM&cm_pla=CATEGORY%20-%20GAMES%20&%20TOYS-%3ECLASS%20-%20GAMES&cm_ite=194131%20PURCHASE%20KEYWORD-PS3&cm_keycode=475593) I'm going to stick with my 360

Most of the other "good" Games for the PS3 are out on the 360 anyway.

http://card.mygamercard.net/cylinder/steel/Kevinsand.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/Kevinsand)

masherscf
10-09-2007, 12:45 PM
We all know that Microsoft (MS) is all about profit and making money.

*Newsflash*

They're all about profit and making money. Sony is the worst offender. Indeed, Sony was practicing monster business tactics when Microsoft was just two geeks and Bill Gates.

Sony released the PS3 eighteen months too soon. It'll have it's day.

satori
10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
What do we know about the systems

pros for the 360:
More and better games
Base unit is cheaper than PS3
Online store has more to offer including download TV.
Everything you need out of the box to start playing

Negatives for the 360
Red Ring of Death
poor customer support during hardware outages
More expensive than the PS3 when similar hardware is purchased for both (HD-DVD player etc)

pros for the PS3
Included Blu-Ray player
Wireless G Networking included
Ability to remotely watch movies and play selected games on you PSP via a wireless internet connection to your PS3
In Europe the ability to use the PS3 as a DVR
Mouse and Keyboard support
Ability to partition the hard drive and run Linux (sony approved, no mod required)
Free online Sony network for gaming etc.
Flash Card readers
Superior hardware
1080p support
HDMI out on all current models

Negatives
Considerably more expensive than 360
no headset out of the box (if you didn't get the Warhawk edition)
Limited game library
Limited online store
Online store not as good as 360
Because of low market impact fewer games expected to be exclusive
More difficult game production kit causing release date issues
No included vibration feedback gamepad

Now having read this the 360 has more posibitives than negatives and seems the obvious choice. Still, I'm a PC Gamer and for my needs a PS3 is more inline with what I want and what I need. I'm sure that the 360 will continue to dominate the market, but I could see a few years down the road as the 360s hardware starts to tire that the PS3 may see a bit of a bump in sales, but the differences aren't that great and I'm sure that by the time this happens MS will have something else to release.

masherscf
10-09-2007, 01:18 PM
More expensive than the PS3 when similar hardware is purchased for both (HD-DVD player etc)

I think that, of the generally overpriced XBOX 360 peripherals, the HD-DVD drive is the least offensive. However, when you start to add the larger HDD, the price gets pretty outrageous.

darknessgp
10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I'll basically weigh in on the PS3 and XBox 360...

XBox 360 - Sad. It's the console where it is at. Lot of decent/good games, but really shitty hardware. I have friends that won't play at times for fear of the red ring.

PS3 - Sad. This is truly the most powerful console out right now. It's reliable, and stable. Too bad there is not even one good game out there.

Honestly, I'd say PS3 wins. They can fix the lack of games, harder to fix crappy hardware.

-mk-
10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
XBox 360 - Sad. It's the console where it is at. Lot of decent/good games, but really shitty hardware. I have friends that won't play at times for fear of the red ring.

The 360 has a 3-year warranty on hardware, which pretty much negates any possible hardware problems for me. You used to have to pay hundreds of dollars from your retailer for the same coverage. The odd red ring of death does not equate to "real shitty" hardware across the board - it's actually a pretty amazing piece of hardware (considering what it does for the price it does it at). I've had mine a year and a half without an issue.

PS3 will continue to remain a "potentially great system" until they stop ignoring competition and drop the price. Even if they put out games worth a damn, you're still staring at $600 for a game system. Oh, and dropping backwards compatibility of your over 8,500 PS2 titles around the world IS NOT the right way to cut the price, IMO.

Honestly, I don't think it's even fair to compare the PS3 to the 360/Wii at this point. It's clearly not a dedicated game system. Hell, the fact that so many PC folks (who don't even OWN a video game console) weigh in on defending it proves that it's the odd thing out.

F the Blu-Ray, F the linux, F the "folding at home," etc. I want a GAME system. Once the PS3 becomes a dedicated gaming system with killer apps a la PS2, I'm all over it. I'm not holding my breath though, considering the crappy way the PSP finally revealed itself as ANOTHER media device in game system's clothing. I LOVE gaming on the PS2...the crap Sony's pulled in the last few years with its gaming decisions has been sad to say the least. Looking forward to Devil May Cry action on the 360.

kakoritz
10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
pros for the 360:
More and better games
Base unit is cheaper than PS3

dood, you proved why the 360 will continue to blow the ps3 out of the water in your first two lines, yet u still sided with the ps3??
MORE, BETTER, CHEAPER.... (sounds like a Kayne West song =p) Those 3 words are MUSIC to any consumers ears.

I want a GAME system.
Mk nailed it! if i want a console that operates like a PC, ill buy a PC. Sony wants the PS3 to be the new PC Desktop. Mouse/keyboard/formatting HD/etc? I ALREADY HAVE A PC! *I WANT A GAMING SYSTEM!!* Microsoft/nintendo are dedicating everyhing to give gamers just that. Sony is way off track IMO. who cares if i can link up my psp to my ps3? you dont see nintendo trying to sync up the DS and WII... two great selling products doing just fine on their own. DS > PSPx10000

filch
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
If the TRS guys opinion make any difference, when asked on the last episode if they were to chose right now between the two, they all said 360.

There's nothing in this thread that hasn't been discussed already numerous times in other threads. Nothing has really changed much of that yet.

bobafettjm
10-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I think arguing which system is better is silly. They both have things people want, they both have things people don't like.

I own the Wii and 360, and would honestly own a PS3 as well if it were not for the price.

darthender
10-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I guess the only thing that matters is if you want to play the next Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid real bad. Cause PS3s got nothing else going for it.

mrpopular
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
i was up in the air. but the second i heard GTA4 would be on xbox 360 at the same time. there was no reason for me to really get a PS3. Plus 360 has some of the greatest games Halo3 & Gears are Awesome.

niceguyjsk
10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
The 360 has a 3-year warranty on hardware, which pretty much negates any possible hardware problems for me. You used to have to pay hundreds of dollars from your retailer for the same coverage. The odd red ring of death does not equate to "real shitty" hardware across the board - it's actually a pretty amazing piece of hardware (considering what it does for the price it does it at).

I just wanted to shed some light on this common misconception. Microsoft DID extend the warranty on the 360 for 3 years, costing them a very large sum of money.. however, after the regular 1 year standard manufacturer's warranty expires, the ONLY thing the extended warranty will cover is the RRoD issue.

When you put hardware out on the market that has (what's suspected to be) about a 30+% failure rate with over 11 million consoles out there that can potentially die prematurely.. I'd say equating that to "shitty hardware" isn't too undeserving.

But don't get me wrong, I own both the 360 and a PS3 and each of them have their faults and strengths. Even though the 360 is extremely loud and I have to keep my fingers crossed every time I go to boot it up, it definitely has the best games and community, for right now. And with Mass Effect being my next big anticipated title, I don't see that changing any time in the immediate future. As for the PS3, Warhawk is pretty fun and the Blu-ray movies are awesome for what they are. I just hope Sony can step it up and meet the potential of it's hardware before it's too late and Microsoft is releasing the 1080 or whatever is coming next.

Sorry for the long post :p

fashiondr
10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I own a PS3, which though I love it, I get frustrated by Sony continually shooting themselves in the foot. At first I was glad when they got knocked down a peg this time around as I thought it would mean an improved focus on producing great exclusive titles and better online content to win back their customers. Instead they have been seriously dragging their feet with new releases, offering lame packages and gimped hardware, and continually lying to their customers over such issues as lack of rumble, backwards compatability etc. It seems that their normally briliiant marketing department went on permanent hiatus on release day.

Having said all of that, I would still choose my PS3 over a 360. Don't get me wrong, I would love to own a 360, I'm a gamer after all and enjoy great games wherever I can get them (I'm not 12 years old or suffering from small man syndrome therefore feeling the need to simply rag on 'console X' to justify my purchase of 'console Y') but the hardware issues do worry me. Extending the warranty to 3 years doesn't comfort me, knowing that after those 3 years (when the hardware is 3 years older and therefore even more likely to fail) I will have to pay to have it fixed each time or buy a new console. Everyone I know who owns a 360 has had it fail on them at least once which is an overwhelming failure rate, worse than any other product I've heard of. I know there are those out there who have had their 360's since launch without any issues, but I'm not willing to risk it until Microsoft fix the source of the problem rather than applying band-aid solutions.

As an earlier poster said, it is easier to fix a lack of games than it is to fix hardware issues. I think by this time next year the Playstation will be back on top...

satori
10-09-2007, 09:08 PM
dood, you proved why the 360 will continue to blow the ps3 out of the water in your first two lines, yet u still sided with the ps3??

Yes, because I own a PC it covers nearly all the game types I actually like. I have my PS3 because I really, really enjoy Motor Storm.

...and yes, having an argument is pointless. I was simply stating the pros and cons... It seems this has come down to a battle of opinions now rather than a discussion of points. I'll be bowing out of this convo because it's really not going to get anywhere for me if my opinion is going to be called into question.

johnnysix
10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
There are a number of issues with the PS3 that worry me. To start with, Sony allowed Madden 2008 to run at double the fps on what they claim is a technically inferior system. Madden is a huge seller and the old Sony would have made sure they were the system of choice for the new crop of sports games.
Secondly, we have the constant delays for Unreal Tournament 3, which Midway have blamed on having so much trouble getting the Unreal engine working on the PS3 hardware. You can certainly say that if a developer buys an engine for use on a platform it should work out of the box for it, but again, the Unreal engine just too important to have the public aware of these issues. There are so many titles coming out that utilize the Unreal engine that Sony should be throwing money at this issue until it's fixed.

Meanwhile 360 owners will be busy playing Bioshock, Halo 3, Stranglehold (which is yet to hit for PS3 because of Unreal engine issues) Project Gotham Racing 4 and Orange Box.

mormonrage
10-09-2007, 11:34 PM
There are a number of issues with the PS3 that worry me. To start with, Sony allowed Madden 2008 to run at double the fps on what they claim is a technically inferior system. Madden is a huge seller and the old Sony would have made sure they were the system of choice for the new crop of sports games.
Hard to blame Sony for faults in a game that EA Tiburon created.

Secondly, we have the constant delays for Unreal Tournament 3, which Midway have blamed on having so much trouble getting the Unreal engine working on the PS3 hardware. You can certainly say that if a developer buys an engine for use on a platform it should work out of the box for it, but again, the Unreal engine just too important to have the public aware of these issues. There are so many titles coming out that utilize the Unreal engine that Sony should be throwing money at this issue until it's fixed.
Silicon Knights say "Hi, wanna play some Too Human?"

johnnysix
10-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Hard to blame Sony for faults in a game that EA Tiburon created.

Silicon Knights say "Hi, wanna play some Too Human?"

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame Sony for these issues. But these are both issues that would be a concern for them. Saying it's not Sony's fault doesn't change the fact that developers like EA and Midway are struggling to get a handle on the hardware. The lack of games on the shelf for the system would be a concern for Sony right now.
My PS3 is sitting around my brother's house gathering dust right now and I haven't switched on the Wii for months. Meanwhile my 360 has been working overtime. There's no denying that the what the PS3 needs right now, more than any price drop, is games.

mormonrage
10-10-2007, 12:30 AM
But these are both issues that would be a concern for them. Saying it's not Sony's fault doesn't change the fact that developers like EA and Midway are struggling to get a handle on the hardware.

Well, I think those issues are temporary. EA, for example, have Burnout Paradise coming early next year--and the PS3 is the lead platform (supposedly it looks and plays better than the360 version). If they get a little more of that happening, they should be fine.

But, yeah, I do play my 360 more than my PS3. Such is the silent shame of an achievement whore. ;)

johnnysix
10-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Well, I think those issues are temporary. EA, for example, have Burnout Paradise coming early next year--and the PS3 is the lead platform (supposedly it looks and plays better than the360 version). If they get a little more of that happening, they should be fine. ;)

I agree completely. I think Burnout Paradise will definately be very interesting. The PS3 certainly needs more titles like it. Perhaps it's a bit of a catch 22 situation, as the PS3 really needs to increase it's install base to get more exlusives or lead platform titles, yet the install base is unlikely to increase without the games. There's a lot resting on GT5, MGS and UT3.
Sony does still have these traditional titles up it's sleeve. It's also got a ridiculous market share in Japan.

bulletpoof
10-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Wow, so much comments about both systems. I've been pondering, if you bought the original Xbox, did you felt you have been cheated. Are you still playing the system ? Are there any games coming out for the original Xbox ?.

We all know that there are still some developers developing for the PS2 console. But I've haven't heard any titles coming out for the Original Xbox system. (I might be wrong here but the last time I checked, there was nothing good.)

So in lieu of this issue, what if MS pull of the same stunt next year, coming out with Xbox 720, (or whatever they call it). At least with a PS3 we know it will last at least another 5 to 6 years before we see a new successor. (If they survive that is)

I'm not saying 360 is a bad system, but why would you want to support a company that doesn't care for their supporters ?. All they want is your $$$$.
And when they have enough for the x360 they will leach you more for their next console. Of course its gonna have better graphical support and better processor specs, thats how they can get you to buy their system!.

As for great Xbox 360 games, why can't you wait a year or two for the PC version. Halo 2 did, and I'm looking forward for gears later next month.:D

johnnysix
10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I bought my original Xbox late in the life of the system and it's the best money I've ever spent on a console. It's the best media center around.

Seriously though. The original Xbox has never had the same sort of momentum and install base. Everyone I know that owned a PS2, now owns a 360. Here in Oz, I can spend AU$1000 on a PS3 or as little as AU$349 on a 360. Now you can argue that the core 360 lacks a lot of the features of the PS3, but a LOT of people aren't interested in BluRay just yet because they don't have the HD capable TV's or the money to fork out on re-buying movies. Don't forget the 360 has already had a really good run with games. As far as waiting a year or two for the games to come out on PC? I could by a 360 Elite twice over for the price of a PC that's required to play these games.

fashiondr
10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Here in Oz, I can spend AU$1000 on a PS3 or as little as AU$349 on a 360.

I'm hearing you there Johnny! Another area where Sony is screwing up is its horrible prices in PAL territories. I recently moved from Melbourne to Seattle and held off buying my PS3 until then, there was no way I was forking over $1000 for a console. Especially for one which I could get for 500 USD (which of course equates to a little over 550 AUD) with full backwards compatability (which was never offered back home).

Still, that doesn't stop people over here from whinging about the price, if they only realised how lucky they were...

patio
10-10-2007, 02:13 PM
The thing about PS3 is that it's a great system. And it has a few really good exclusive games, but probably not enough for most people that have a 360 to make the jump over. So, unless you're like me who never got into XBox and waited for the PS3 to come out, it probably does make more sense to buy a 360.

But at the same time I am very happy with my PS3 so far. There's definitely enough to keep me busy, and there's some games on the horizon that I'm looking forward to. I am sad that I can't play Bioshock or Mass Effect, but them's the breaks.