PDA

View Full Version : SCI FI Renews Stargate Atlantis

wideawakewesley
10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
I will never return to this show after the dross that was the 1st season, but I know many of you enjoy it, so happy days for you.

:)

SCI FI Channel has given a fifth-season renewal to "Stargate Atlantis," ordering 20 additional episodes.

"'Atlantis' truly came out from under the shadow of its sister series this year and proved that it's a hit in its own right," said SCI FI's Mark Stern, executive vice president of original programming. The show's predecessor, "Stargate SG-1," ran for 10 seasons on SCI FI before completing its run last year.

Stern said SCI FI is in "a good place" when it comes to scripted original series, anticipating lots of buzz for the final 22-episode season of "Battlestar Galactica," now in production.

darthender
10-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Of course it "came out from under the shadow of its sister series" this year. It's sister series ended.

Basically, if your a sci-fi fan, there's no BSG right now, so there's nothing else TO watch.

I still say **** em for not renewing Dresden Files.

defaultprophet
10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Of course it "came out from under the shadow of its sister series" this year. It's sister series ended.

Basically, if your a sci-fi fan, there's no BSG right now, so there's nothing else TO watch.

I still say **** em for not renewing Dresden Files.

I was never a fan of Dresden Files, but Jesus Christ, even that is better than Flash Gordon. They should just give the TRS guys 10k a week to do a Scifi channel show. Boom, I just saved SciFi millions of dollars and probably boosted ratings.

masherscf
10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
I will never return to this show after the dross that was the 1st season, but I know many of you enjoy it, so happy days for you.

:)

Geez, you're pretty unforgiving. I gotta ask, not even dangling Jewel Stait in your face can change that inplaccible stance?

wideawakewesley
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Geez, you're pretty unforgiving. I gotta ask, not even dangling Jewel Stait in your face can change that inplaccible stance?

Nah, that's not unforgiving, most shows get three episodes to impress me, but I figured I'd give Atlantis a whole season as everyone had told me how good SG1 was. Sorry not even Jewel Stait (who's coming to my hometown this weekend - http://www.collectormania.com), can change my mind.

Wes

iccanui
10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree with you wes, that first season wasnt the best. Enjoyable, but after watching SG-1 for so long it felt like a cheap knock off, the even made fun of themselves in the SG universe with that show where they were replaced by younger hipper cast. I think it was the 200th episode right? But its really matured. I would suggest getting back into it. Its no SG-1, but now amanda tapping is on it full time, jewel looks to be staying for a while and you really dont know whats going to happen cause people die that you dont expect and the show has just matured is all. " Leaving the shadow of SG-1" really doesnt have to do with the show ending, it has to do with atlantis elevating to stand on its own legs.

Not to forget too that SG universe or whatever the next show is named is not too far off and you will be missing out on a lot if you dont know what went on. Try season 2 and i would say even 3 before giving up.

masherscf
10-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Nah, that's not unforgiving, most shows get three episodes to impress me, but I figured I'd give Atlantis a whole season as everyone had told me how good SG1 was. Sorry not even Jewel Stait (who's coming to my hometown this weekend - http://www.collectormania.com), can change my mind.

Wes

The last few seasons of SG1 were getting kind of tired. There was a time between when "Babylon 5" folded it's sets and "Firefly" had it's brief but brilliant flight where SG1 was not only the best original Sci-fi on TV, it was often the only new Sci-fi besides the Star Trek spin-offs.

"Stargate: Atlantis" does not benifit from it's pedigree. As much as I love the "Stargate" premise, it's getting kind of tired. Here we are, seven years later and we're back to fighting relicators. I enjoy the program, but the writers need something to knock them out of their funk.

tnvwboy
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Here we are, seven years later and we're back to fighting relicators. I enjoy the program, but the writers need something to knock them out of their funk.

I got it! Blend the StarGate Universe with the Contact (Carl Sagan) Universe. Have the Contact aliens visit and tell Earth how their inherited gate system is 'quaint', etc etc. New better 'Ancients' who actually participate in the goings on of the galaxies.

mittop
10-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Well, as this show is WAY better than Flash Gordon, I say good news. Wes, I agree, it isn't the best, but it is better than nothing.

Oh, and let me also agree with other posters here by saying that Sci-Fi Channel Execs should all burn in hell for canceling good shows with good ratings that were expensive for bad shows with crap ratings that are cheap. I hate them, oh how I hate them with their wee beady eyes!

satori
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM

Wes

No, it's still unforgiving. SG: Atlantis kept getting better and better, but yes it started out fairly weak.

darthender
10-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I miss Babylon 5....

wideawakewesley
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Me too, but did you watch the recent DVD movie? urgh...

darthender
10-25-2007, 09:40 AM
No, which is wierd because its on my DVD rack.

satori
03-22-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm just watching the last episode of season 2

***spoiler

Jewel Saite's character and McKay??? seriously??? I mean come on!

ryudo
03-22-2008, 09:37 AM
No, it's still unforgiving. SG: Atlantis kept getting better and better, but yes it started out fairly weak.

Agreed.

The show didn't get me at first but the last 2 seasons it has gotten pretty darn good and keeps getting better and Jewel...damn she is just a major bonus to what is now a good show.

blackstorm
03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice to see it was renewed. I loved the Stargate movie and I loves SG:1 for the first 7 years or so. After they lost Richard Dean Anderson, the show kind of went down hill. They did have some great episodes, but it seemed like a rehash of the last few years.

When Atlantis was emerging for their first season, I refused to watch it as it seemed like a horrible idea for a spin-off. I didn't start watching till about midway through season 3. I seen a few re-run episodes while the new episodes of Season 3 were playing, which got me hooked. Then Sci-Fi had an Atlantis Marathon from beginning to end and so I had TiVo catch them all. I have to say, I like Atlantis more then I liked the last few seasons of SG:1.

I don't know how they can make another spin-off. They seem to have multiple starting stories for the replicators. And both the Ori and the Wraith are from the Pegasus Galaxy, but Atlantis never had to deal with the Ori and the Wraith never used the Ori's Super Gates to get to Earth. =/ Maybe I missed the part where that is all explained. =/

Anywho, long story short, you should give it a try. It is a really good show. Just pick up all the seasons on Netflix. I hear they have like 40 shipping centers so you get your DVDs like, the next day. =P

r3v
03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I didn't watch the first season of Atlantis when it came out. That was pre-Tivo for me, so I only followed a few shows. I started watching mid-second season and thought "this isn't as bad as everyone says." (Everyone being my only two Stargate-watching buddies.)

I still didn't like the team as much as SG1, but that's because nobody can compete with O'neil. (Plus I have a big ol' crush on Samantha Carter.)

However, the Atlantis team grew on me. I think the writing got better and the actors figured out who the characters are. They'll always be SG1's younger sibling though. When they added Ronin (a character I like) it was like... ah, you've found your Teal'c. How cute. heh.

Comparing the last couple seasons of SG1 and Atlantis narrowed the gap for me though. SG1 lost O'Neil and Ben Browder's character was a fairly weak replacement. Sheppard, who was also cast from the O'Neil mold, was much cooler. SG1 maintained it's lead, however, with the addition of Valla to the team. She was able to bring back the (right) sense of humor that left with the departure of O'Neil. (Plus, in all honesty, Claudia Black is hot and that never hurts.)

Uhm... where was I?

Oh yes, yay for a new season of Atlantis. :) I think it's a lot better than when it started. I was quite happy with the addition of Carter and Keller, but worry about the administrative changes that are happening...

satori
03-22-2008, 06:42 PM
agreed, they need a hot secretary.

iccanui
03-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Make sure you support stargate. MGM is on the fence about the future of making more movies as well as stargate universe. These are really good people that have given us 10+ years of good stories and straight up enlightening perspectives of our own past in real life. fictional or not, they make you think in good ways. Give some love back.

http://tinyurl.com/2y57hf - Amazon link.

http://www.justsomedude.org/pub/images/stargate.jpg

bakhox
03-23-2008, 02:00 AM
I have to agree with most everyone that it it was getting a little old but it seems to have improved lately and really matured. I can't wait for the next season.

And both the Ori and the Wraith are from the Pegasus Galaxy, but Atlantis never had to deal with the Ori and the Wraith never used the Ori's Super Gates to get to Earth. =/ Maybe I missed the part where that is all explained. =/

The Ori were from another unnamed galaxy. The Ancients went from the Ori galaxy to here, to Pegasus and then back to here.

darknessgp
03-23-2008, 05:01 AM
...The Ori were from another unnamed galaxy. The Ancients went from the Ori galaxy to here, to Pegasus and then back to here.

Yes that is correct.

As far as the upcoming new series. It should be interesting to see what they do. I've heard that it's going to be more of a spin-off than Atlantis was, Atlantis having started from a story in SG-1. Though, I've heard that they are still waiting on MGM to green light "Universe" and a third Stargate movie.

iccanui
03-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes that is correct.

As far as the upcoming new series. It should be interesting to see what they do. I've heard that it's going to be more of a spin-off than Atlantis was, Atlantis having started from a story in SG-1. Though, I've heard that they are still waiting on MGM to green light "Universe" and a third Stargate movie.

Correct. Universe is going to be its own storyline that has almost nothing to do with sg1 and atlantis. Im sure there will be intersections, but over all its supposed to be full independent. You are also correct on MGM waiting for the green light on the third movie and universe. Obviously they wanna see a return on their current investment before putting more money in, business is business.

I cant urge you all enough, even through the ark of truth was a little weak, still buy it. I enjoyed it very much and even though a few things made me go " meh " over all i feel my 16 bucks were well spent. Not to mention for over a decade they have given me free entertainment and thoughtful and fun experiences through the stories. Buy this and buy continuum if for no other reason to show your support of the show. Besides, i think if it shows to be a money making venture, the plots will get better cause they can afford to pay writers that will see a future in what they are doing and the production value will go up. Though i have to say, the production value is really good already.

Show the love :)

satori
03-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I rented Ark of Truth, next best thing to buying

blackstorm
03-23-2008, 02:50 PM
The Ori were from another unnamed galaxy. The Ancients went from the Ori galaxy to here, to Pegasus and then back to here.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Like I said, I prolly missed it when that was said. Cool. Thanks man!

Hard for me to follow the story lines with Ben and Claudia's characters making me wanna poke my eyes out. I don't like Ben for no reason that I can think of. Maybe because I didn't like that he was replacing Richard Dean Anderson. =/ And Claudia's character is one of the most annoying characters on the show. She isn't funny by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe it is the writers for her part, maybe it is her ability to not be able to act. Plus, having a character that is a thieving space whore, in my eyes, starts to bring the show down a few notches. But, some people like that sort of thing, so more power to them.

I did get Ark of Truth on Tuesday when it was released. It was ok. Seemed more like a 2 part SG1 episode. I would have liked to see it shot more like a movie and not the way the show was shot. Plus, everything was wrapped up rather quickly. All this build up for the last 3 years and it is over in 10 minutes. =/

Don't get me wrong. From what I'm saying here, it seems like I hate the show. I love it. I gots me the 10 Season DVD Box Set and ordered the Stargate Mirror. I was going to embed the video of me opening the Stargate Mirror, but I guess the forums don't allow embeds. Anywho, check out the link. =)
http://www.viddyou.com/viddstream?videoid=27379

afflaf
03-23-2008, 03:10 PM
looking forward to season five, though I got surprised by some things that I just read on their wiki-page.

After being a regular character in season four Amanda Tapping (Colonel Samantha Carter) will become a guest star in several episodes of season five. Robert Picardo (Richard Woolsey) joins the cast as a permanent character as Woolsey assumes command of Atlantis. Actress Jewel Staite (Dr. Jennifer Keller) also is promoted from a recurring character to a permanent cast member. Both Michael Shanks (Dr. Daniel Jackson) and Paul McGillion (Dr. Carson Beckett) will appear as guest stars in this season, with McGillion appearing in five episodes.[4] A new character named Captain Alicia Vega (formerly named Alison Porter), played by actress Leela Savasta, will become a recurring member in the season, who will lead her own team from episode four onwards, while Dr. Alison Porter will first appear in the fourth episode.[5] Actress Torri Higginson has stated that she won't be reprising her role as Dr. Elizabeth Weir in the fifth season.[6]

all and all it's mostly good news imo, looking forward to the first episode.

satori
03-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Actress Torri Higginson has stated that she won't be reprising her role as Dr. Elizabeth Weir in the fifth season.[6]

Couldn't this mean that she's simply coming back as a replicator though?