PDA

View Full Version : Episode 32: "Haunty Duty"

trsjeff
10-31-2007, 05:44 PM
This week in Movies:

Alex, Dan and Jeff double up on their Afflecks to take in the surprising Gone, Baby, Gone.

Last week the guys remembered their favorite film frights from childhood. Which movies scare the bejeezes out of them today?

This week in Video Games:

Flagship Studios new MMO hybrid, Hellgate: London aims to be the next Diablo-level addiction. The guys hack and slash their way through a few levels to find out if it lives up.

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction finally delivers on the promise of playing a 3D animated cartoon... but is it fun?

This week in Comics:

Alex, Dan, and Jeff dip into DC's rich catalog to read the perfect tale for this time of year, Batman: Long Halloween.

Plus!

Dan's got a movie costume, Jeff has a TV costume, and Alex has a video game costume. They dress up and head out for some good old fashioned trick-or-treating.

brettville
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
LOVED the intro! I was really hoping for a "Totally Steve Show" graphic though.

Nice job on the costumes, kids.

Jeff, I just found myself nodding my head at your Batman mystery stories speech...that's kinda weird right? Why am I nodding at my laptop? Stop making me agree so vehemently.

royall
10-31-2007, 06:20 PM
That's it, I'm considering Avatar completely abandoned.

Edit: I didn't watch the episode yet, I just looked at the description, so if they mentioned Avatar towards the end, which they probably didn't, strike the above statement.

frankiethewaffle
10-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Good show. Good intro and all.

This was great actually. There was so much info. I am going out to get nearly every dvd you talked about.

Nice to see the Greatest American Hero costume. Most people my age, like you guys, have no idea what that show was. I try to describe it but always laugh when the idea of him being able to fly, but couldn't land. I thought that was hilarious.

Same with the show "Sledge Hammer". No one remembers it. Best scene ever. Time bomb in a clock store. How does he find it? He shoots the circuit box killing the power. The only ticking left was the bomb. Brilliant!

Great show though, I even want to go get all of the comics mentioned.

mrpopular
10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Another Epic episode. I loved the Halloween special.. I want pics of Little Dan as Data & Little Alex as Marty McFly.

Oh, and I had to pause the video because i was laughing so hard (I'm laughing just thinking about it) When Dan choose to be the wave from The Perfect Storm. lol.

MaxTheSilent
10-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Kick-ass opening. Steve finally gets his revenge, Myers-style!

Weird to hear BOOGYMAN 2 was actually good. The first one was effing wretched. With this and the pretty damn great WRONG TURN 2 maybe the DTV sequel market might be the place to right all the wrongs of mediocre predecessors.

Dan's right; A TALE OF TWO SISTERS is the greatest Asian horror film of all time.

And I have to vehemently disagree with Alex. As a film THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE is garbage. It's nothing more than some completely fabricated (though well-executed) scare scenes held together by the most turgid, uninteresting courtroom drama ever put on film.

It's like they read the court transcripts, decided "yeah, there's half a movie in that" then just completely made up the rest.

vincent12234
10-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Awesome, Just before I go to my Halloween party! Yay Downloading! :D

wizmaster
10-31-2007, 07:50 PM
I would pick Big Daddy. I fully functioning Big Daddy suit. Also, awesome episode.

neumann
10-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Am I crazy or did you guys do a new explosion graphic. Why?

Awesome intro, I agree... it's actually kind of nice to know how the house is laid out, I keep thinking you guys shoot in different apartments, I didn't realize how connected all the locations were.

Dan's costume ideas were brilliant. I expect kids to go around the neighbourhood with buckets of water to throw at people who open the door and claim to be the wave from the Perfect Storm. Thanks a lot.

Chris

gglynn00
10-31-2007, 10:53 PM
While watching the intro. all I could think is, "wow, that's a nice galley kitchen...wow, I like the red on the living room walls, is that Ralph Lauren paint?" Dang my wife and dang you HGTV!!! Anyway, I'm glad the movie got a pretty good go ahead...I like Ben Afleck and glad he's on a comeback.

*edit* I like the new fist explosion...It looks more complete...

chepito
10-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Did you guys get any strange looks while you were walking around during the trick or treating segment? I imagine it confused a few folks in the neighborhood :p

trsjeff
10-31-2007, 11:21 PM
That's it, I'm considering Avatar completely abandoned.

Don't say that! We still love it, and have big plans to cover Avatar!

-Jeff

pen-15
10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Metal Arms is the reason why I find the new Ratchet boring. Metal Arms handled combat far better and was more challenging. It sucks that insomniac stuck so close to the formula. Gamespot's score seemed to be what I would give it.

eminemdrdre00
10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Jeff, Harvey Dent and Two-Face are both confirmed for The Dark Knight. Footage of Two-Face was shown this past summer at Wizard World in Chicago, he is being played by Aaron Eckhart!

PS. How can you go 2 weeks without mentioning that Kevin Rose is on the cover of Captain America? How rad is that?!
http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0108/capcho6.jpg

wideawakewesley
10-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Oooh, new explosion, great intro and a new movies intro too (look closely), sweeet.

The Eye is a fantastic horror film, rent it now! Haunting Of Emily Rose, just watch the trailer, all the scary bits are in there.

I'm very concerned that there's been no news related discussion in the last two episodes now. Reviews are great, but I want opinions on news too.

Wes

p.s. Glad someone did the TRS pumpkin, I was so tempted to.

ant-niak-
11-01-2007, 12:29 AM
What about the movie "Event Horizon"? I remember that being extremely disturbing to me. Just one of those movies that, now that I'm older, can still frighten the criz-ap outta' me. Any others?

wideawakewesley
11-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Jeff, you asked for it and it's been done...real transforming costumes...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=akNJ6S2UqsE

royall
11-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks Jeff, I've been waiting awhile for Avatar to come back, what with the new season and the awesomeness of the second season. It's been a while since Avatar was even mentioned, so I was beginning to wonder if you guys forgot it. Season 3 is great so far; you'll definitely regret not checking it out sooner.

diane
11-01-2007, 01:09 AM
So after the opening was finished, Anakin turns to me and says "So why does he wear a mask to bake a cake?"

By the way, love the cookie jar.

patch
11-01-2007, 01:52 AM
So after the opening was finished, Anakin turns to me and says "So why does he wear a mask to bake a cake?"

Haha! Gotta love kids.

trsjeff
11-01-2007, 02:04 AM

By the way, love the cookie jar.

Gold. Pure gold.

:)

-Jeff

shibbyshoo
11-01-2007, 02:25 AM
Thanks Jeff for not making me feel so bad about picking up Hellgate London. I'll give it a try later tonight. But what should I do with my WoW account? haha

mltvcocktail
11-01-2007, 02:37 AM
Great episode as always. Just some thoughts about Ratchet. The reason the new one is so close to Ratchets 2 and 3 is that they tried to go dark and different with Ratchet: Deadlocked and it wasn't as well recieved, Clank not a playable or with Ratchet in the levels. It was still fun but it was basically a pure shooter. This new Ratchet is back to the platforming and light heartedness of the second and third games. Also mad props to Jeff for mentioning Metal Arms. Got it for 10 bucks at EB and it was worth that and more. Hilarious characters, swearing robots, great weapons, body part specific attacks and a great soundtrack. Definately worth checking out.

torgodevil
11-01-2007, 03:02 AM
I just came to register at the forums because you mentioned "The Tale of Two Sisters" in your latest show.

I've been in Korea for 7 years, and I saw that movie in the theater when it was released. It's my favorite Korean horror movie, and everyone that I know that stumbles upon it loves it. I've brought it back to the States with me a few times to show it to friends.

Glad to see someone else is spreading the word.

serenity
11-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Great episode. Loved the costumes, especially Jeff's!
I was cracking up when you first appeared onscreen with it.
Aven did a lovely job with the background, too.

Jeff - do you sing? I know you were just fooling around but it sounded like you could really belt it out if you wanted. :)

asquared
11-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Haha I lost it to Dan's response to the e-mail about the ultimate Halloween costume...what made it even better (and almost making me pee myself) was Jeff's reaction. *fist bump Jeff* I totally felt the hilarity in the answer, as well as the total radness of it.

wizmaster
11-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Jeff, you asked for it and it's been done...real transforming costumes...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=akNJ6S2UqsE

Some of them were pretty ****ing rad. Now I want to make one. Out of carbon fiber and aluminum. With electric motors and the ability to move around while in car mode (comfortably of course).

joymarie
11-01-2007, 04:18 AM
I love that Jeff's costume involved a Marilyn Monroe wig :p

bananaboat
11-01-2007, 06:00 AM
I'm interested to play Hellgate London after watching the show. The description of "You go into a hole, you get to the end of the hole and then you warp out" (paraphrasing) reminds me of Diablo II almost exactly. Diablo II was basically about going in Dungeons, fighting the monsters, fighting a boss and then warping out. To it's credit though, some of the dungeons in Diablo II were mazes, and actually getting to the dungeons themselves on the higher difficulties was nearly impossible (Going through Hell to get to Diablo is still pretty epic on higher difficulties). It sounds like Hellgate London isn't quite as much of a challenge, and it doesn't seem like the skills are cool enough to make me want to level them up.

Great show guys.

aaronsaund
11-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Dan, a good platformer you would probably love if you haven't played it already, is Psychonauts for the the Xbox 1 and PC. I think it's available on Steam.

dannyt
11-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Dan, a good platformer you would probably love if you haven't played it already, is Psychonauts for the the Xbox 1 and PC. I think it's available on Steam.

LOVED that game!!

bananaboat
11-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Psychonauts is one of those games where you beg people to buy it (so that there will be a sequel) and everyone tells you to get lost =P. So many great games never see a sequel, such as Okami, Ico, Shadow of the Collosus etc, and it's all because noone cared enough to buy them.

Then again, I begged for a Katamari sequel, I loved the eventual sequel less than I loved the first game, and now I've gotten a second sequel that is pretty terrible on the Xbox 360. Sometimes it's better that game developers leave you with your memories.

az0madman
11-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I bought Pyschonauts on the PC and haven't beat it yet. Awesome game but never found the time to beat it. T_T It's on the PC though, so I don't like the feel of it with a keyboard and mouse.

And Alex was born to sonic boom. Awesome costumes.

summx
11-01-2007, 07:16 AM
dan's costume was unbelievable. It's radness with it's completely horrible implementation made it hilarious and amazing at the same time.

spynes
11-01-2007, 08:42 AM
HELLGATE RUNDOWN:

DEMO IS BEYOND HORRID, when i say BEYOND i mean it :(

BETA IS REALLY GOOD

FULL GAME (should be, havent played it yet) BETTER THEN THE BETA

good episode guys, it sucks dan and alex get demo_wned

cocodapuf
11-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Another Epic episode. I loved the Halloween special.. I want pics of Little Dan as Data & Little Alex as Marty McFly.

I'll second that.

All in favor?

philbert
11-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Scariest game I ever played was Fatal Frame. I took it into my school's lecture theatre and played on a 15 foot screen once. I don't think I could play it any more after that.

The Greatest American Hero was an awesome show, I was glad to see it has come out on DVD now. There was actually a really scary episode of that show (scary to me at around age 10 anyway). Something about a haunted house and a non existent door in the wall or something that he went in and got attacked by some creature who tore through his suit like it was nothing. That show always reminded me of the movie Super Fuzz (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082924/) where the cop gets super powers but loses them whenever he sees the color red.

metamorphilia
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Super Fuzz

Oh my gosh, I was beginning to think I had made up my memories of that movie! I see a DVD has been released. . . Guess I'll have to track one down.

Okay, I give up. What is Dan's costume from? I know I've seen the movie but it's just not coming to me. . .

wideawakewesley
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I believe it's Total Recall, correct me if I'm wrong folks.

tnvwboy
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I believe it's Total Recall, correct me if I'm wrong folks.

Yup!

"Oooopen your Miinnnd..."

geekluv
11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Jeff - do you sing? I know you were just fooling around but it sounded like you could really belt it out if you wanted. :)

I was wondering the same thing. :D

I appreciate the review of Gone Baby Gone. Mystic River is an amazing film so I'm really looking forward to this one. I wanted to see it this weekend, unfortunately I was talked into seeing 30 Days of Night instead. There's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

vincent12234
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
OMG, I have to say I totally totally loved the opener, so perfect I loved it awesome! Just had to say that. xD

neverendingwhitelights
11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
I said it once I'll say it again. You don't have to use the Sixaxis, so far Lair is the only game to force that upon anyone. Just go into options and turn it back to the trusty analog sticks. It says it works on everything but the tornado gun, but that things a piece of crud anyway. ;)

Anyway, back to Guitar Hero for me. Neversoft sure upped the difficulty on it, didn't they? :mad:

nblue
11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Loved the opening scene.

I'm just in awe about Alex's $8000 computer. What are the specs on that badboy?

andyfm
11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm just in awe about Alex's $8000 computer. What are the specs on that badboy?

I'd hazzard a guess that it's a specced out HP Blackbird 002. just a guess though.

colonel-kurtz
11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey. You guys mentioned how awesome a power loader costume from Aliens would be, and I can't agree with you more.

There's an easter egg on the 2-disc Aliens dvd where Van Ling tells the coolest story ever about how he made a power loader costume in 1986 and ended up getting a job working on The Abyss. If you've got the dvd you should definitely look for it.

mic
11-01-2007, 08:59 PM
The episode audio after the main theme was pretty scary, too. Thankfully it was fixed. :p

jasonb
11-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Don't say that! We still love it, and have big plans to cover Avatar!

-Jeff

Glad to see you guys haven't forgotten about the raddest animated series in awhile. If you haven't seen the latest episodes please go check out the thread where i posted where you can find episodes that haven't even aired here in the US plus episode 8 will most likely play a major role later on in the series.

Loved the Halloween episode and found myself singing along with you guys during the outakes in the credits.

serenity
11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned but did you all change the explosion graphic?

It looks much softer and smoother but I miss the old one! :)

kahunablair
11-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Just finished watching the episode. Great job guys!
Love the costumes. Dan's Kuato was a brilliant idea. Everytime I saw Jeff, I laughed my butt off everytime his blonde wig flopped up and down. Fantastic costumes guys.

gisgis
11-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I went as two things
Papa Smurf no pics as of yet
and a new age green arrow
http://wittenberg.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1562575&id=677105384
hope you guys like

heyseuss
11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Instead of turning up that driveway to ask the homeowner, "trick or threat?", they should have gone in slomo, to the hot girl across the street.

tempesta
11-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Mystic River is the shit. I wouldn't mind seeing Gone, Baby, Gone. My only worry, is that the author can only write stories about missing/dead women in boston.

Also, I'm hoping to check out Long Halloween sometime.

Also, nice costumes fellas.

monterey-jack
11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
HELLGATE RUNDOWN:

DEMO IS BEYOND HORRID, when i say BEYOND i mean it :(

BETA IS REALLY GOOD

FULL GAME (should be, havent played it yet) BETTER THEN THE BETA

good episode guys, it sucks dan and alex get demo_wned

Awesome episode and costumes!

I bought Hellgate on the 31st, and I'm loving it so far. One of the great things about it is that you can play it without a subscription fee, and you still get access to most of the game's features (auction house, guild membership, storage space, etc.)

The main draw of the game, just like Jeff said, are the LOADS of loot you find.

They have a special Halloween event going on until Monday, with themed quest awards and the possibility of building your own dancing zombie robot!

Someone should start a TRS guild, I would definitely join up! :D

edit: My engineer is named Durango. Say HI if you see me, I'll be playin' all weekend!

mic
11-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Instead of turning up that driveway to ask the homeowner, "trick or threat?", they should have gone in slomo, to the hot girl across the street.I kept thinking... steady cam, they really need a steady cam. But that's the videographer talking. They could build one for about $50 worth of parts, I did, and it works great.

heyseuss
11-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I kept thinking... steady cam, they really need a steady cam. But that's the videographer talking. They could build one for about $50 worth of parts, I did, and it works great.

What I was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaOkv5ZilmA

bman
11-04-2007, 12:30 AM
What I was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaOkv5ZilmA

That was awesome, never saw that before.

And pretty good episode, except color.

royall
11-05-2007, 01:48 AM
You guys should do an "All your base are belong to us" themed opening skit.

mitreos
11-05-2007, 05:50 AM

Check out the opening for Ep 10 - You will be pleased!

carerejoe
11-05-2007, 07:09 AM
hey guys, me and my friend helped make each others costumes, me as donnie darko (skeleton painted on ourself), and my friend as speed racer, all sewed and etc ourselves.
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v149/127/125/120806912/n120806912_35898202_5229.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/57/69/120805401/n120805401_35895398_1981.jpg
last year we made a mask for the school's mascaraed ball (the "facehugger" from the alien series).. sorry cant find a photo on this computer, but this was exactly what it looked like except i was wearing a suit and tie
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/94/Alien_facehugger.jpg/250px-Alien_facehugger.jpg

heyseuss
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM

You should watch all the episodes.

royall
11-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Which episode was that?

Edit: Oh, yea, episode 10. I was only listening on the audio version back then, because I only had a nano 2nd gen.

heyseuss
11-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Jeff, I just found myself nodding my head at your Batman mystery stories speech...that's kinda weird right? Why am I nodding at my laptop?

Timezone disorientation resulting in acute parkinsons.

gm_wil
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
was gone for a week so good to be back...couldn't read Batman, long halloween...couldn't get past the art (made me cringe) and took away from the story and just didn't get into it...passed it to my bro and same thing happened to him...

hope everyone had a good halloween....

-

heyseuss
11-06-2007, 06:43 AM
I keep my Lucha Libre mask in the kitchen too, I mean, don't we all.

Dan, your mother should have taught you, not many cake recipies require a large knife.