PDA

View Full Version : How to make a really good EMP protection thing?

chrismlay
10-26-2006, 07:26 AM
So yeah i did a little research and im trying to find some way to protect my eletricals from EMP, im not going to say what an EMP is cause id really prefer people with inteligent answers respond to this, not someone whos going to tell me, just keep it unplugged.. sorry to seem like a bitter dick :) but im tired right now errr sorry.. so yeah
i read some things on a faracage? seems a little odd, and read thell withstand some smaller type of emps, not sure how small, but im trying to figure out if there is anyone out there who is quite certain of a way to make some stuff of high dentsity emp protection?, im thinking really thick rubbers or something sense like there ground? am i right? any ideas, please. thank you

tokenuser
10-26-2006, 01:50 PM
You need to look up "Faraday Cage".
An EMP can be thought of as a static discharge - you need a way to disperse the static without it effecting the device itself.

I guess someone watched Jericho last night?? I am surprised Robert (the black guy) didn't build his downstairs bunker/office as a giant faraday cage. He could have protected more than just his ruggedised notebook.

FWIW - I don't think the Panasonic Toughbook he uses is EMP shielded.

chrismlay
10-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Wow youre good!!, I actually did.
I am just really amazed by all that equpitment and stuff it gets me all tingly inside LOL thats pretty funny. I have always loved that kind of stuff so Jericho got me trying to make shit now lol..
any idea how to make a really strong one or something, i dont want some half ass one that isnt going to do the job you know, and i would hate spending all the time and money and then boom it dont work :-D

tokenuser
10-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I have seen sheilding done with copper mesh.

Keep googling - the answer is out there, BUT the same stuff that blocks a cell phone reception is basically what you need to block an EMP - just better. I wondered if that "anti cellphone" paint (http://www.naturalnano.com/en/applications/rf-shielding-technology.html) that you can get would work. Much easier than building a full faraday cage.

chrismlay
10-27-2006, 04:01 AM
maybe both!

zardoz03
11-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Any electronic item that could be damaged by an EMP would be protected if in a shipping container or foil pack.
Wrapping any item completely in aluminum foil would give protection.
All of the above are enclosing the item in a faraday cage.
Cargo containers would be the ideal source for your replacement parts.

cmpyrohacker1337
03-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Well there is no cheep way to protect from an EMP. unless it is a very small one. like home built. Then like the last guy said aluminum foil would help a little but that really doesn't do much. There are basically 2 ways to protect from an EMP. 1 get all components that can Handel at least 5 times more that they are now. Witch isn't economical. 2 You could have a shell of hardened steel put around the items your trying to protect. This tho is about 200$ per square foot. There is one other way. but it is experimental. they use it in factories where they test x ray / MRI machines and stuff. It is a combination of copper and graphite sheets put together with a special bonding substance. this seems to work good against any types of waves, including electromagnetic. but i don't no if they sell that stuff to noncommercial people. or in small orders.

WELL IN CONCLUSION, there really is no cheep way to shield against a NEMP or HEMP. but a small home made one with a working radius of about 1 square block could be stopped with crumpily sheets of aluminum foil. Don't neatly rap it. crumple them , uncrumple and them tape or hot glue them inside the box or whatever. use like 3 layers.

WELL i hope that helped a little. O by the way i no what I'm talking about cuz i got a small EMP in my room right now. its reusable and has a "blast zone" of about 20ft. Its not strong enough to do damage yet. only throw lines threw the tv and make florescent lights go out.

popltree2
04-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Well there is no cheep way to protect from an EMP. unless it is a very small one. like home built. Then like the last guy said aluminum foil would help a little but that really doesn't do much. There are basically 2 ways to protect from an EMP. 1 get all components that can Handel at least 5 times more that they are now. Witch isn't economical. 2 You could have a shell of hardened steel put around the items your trying to protect. This tho is about 200$ per square foot. There is one other way. but it is experimental. they use it in factories where they test x ray / MRI machines and stuff. It is a combination of copper and graphite sheets put together with a special bonding substance. this seems to work good against any types of waves, including electromagnetic. but i don't no if they sell that stuff to noncommercial people. or in small orders.

WELL IN CONCLUSION, there really is no cheep way to shield against a NEMP or HEMP. but a small home made one with a working radius of about 1 square block could be stopped with crumpily sheets of aluminum foil. Don't neatly rap it. crumple them , uncrumple and them tape or hot glue them inside the box or whatever. use like 3 layers.

WELL i hope that helped a little. O by the way i no what I'm talking about cuz i got a small EMP in my room right now. its reusable and has a "blast zone" of about 20ft. Its not strong enough to do damage yet. only throw lines threw the tv and make florescent lights go out.

Holy crap. I think that post just gave my English teacher an aneurysm. You should be lucky I don't have a red pen, buddy.

enelysion
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
First of all, grounding doesn't directly protect anything from EMP, and if you want to protect a whole area, not individual devices, forget about it. It takes a goverment budget.

For individual devices, try to follow these tips.

1.) Surge protection - In the event of a real EMP strike, powerlines are basically giant EM antinna, and basically anything pluged into an unprotected socket is at risk.

2.) Faraday Cages - Faraday cages are boxes that absorb EM radiation. They are really the only option for a civilian. Faraday cages can be made from certain types of copper mesh, conductive plastics or, as mentioned, layered dialectric/metal sheets.

3.) Avoid external wires - Any external metal wiring will leave you suceptable. Use optical wiring if its at all possible. Try to build as many components into the inclosure as possible. Unfortuantly, if your faraday cage is working, wireless devices should NOT work. (If they do work, it means you aren't actually protected.

In all reality though, even this is only situational. The only way to be truely secure is to block off a whole room or more. This is hugely expensive however, requiring special wire-vaults, lining for duct work and pipes and even special doors and windows.

My personal advise is to leave it be. The chances of all your equipment working is still iffy at best, and even if it did, who cares? Everything else in the area will be destroyred. If its a true EMP that could be an area as large as the USA. If your data is whats important, just back it up onto optical media.

It should also be noted that only a couple countries world wide have the capabilities for such a strike (USA and Russia, not sure of any others) Because you basically have to bring a nuclear missile into space to perform the attack.

thesavior
12-30-2007, 09:54 PM
learn to live without electronics...or just leave the power off, remember broken arrow?

michael-spencer
12-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Could we get a better problem description from the original poster? "Really Good" isn't sufficient for any kind of intelligent answer. The original poster's needs might be met by the above (in which case, please say thanks and let us move on) or might not be met even by three inch thick solid copper shielding surrounding all sides of the device.

So, more detail please. How much energy? Are we talking about an EMP caused by a several-hundred-volt spark being discharged a few inches away from the device? Or something more energetic than that?

crazyideaoo
08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
i have an idea but im goin to need your help since u know more about this than i do i want to make an emp big enough to whip out the world not for a terrorist perpose but if i did then the o-zone would be fixed if everyone in the world stoped useing cars for 24 hours our o-zone would fix it self i understand if you dont want to help me but please think about it because i want to live to see my kids graduate college... please help

kamitsuna
08-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Just curious...when was the last time you had problems with your electronics because of an Electro Magnetic Pulse?

Cause hell, i got an apartment chalk full of electronics and the EMP Monster has yet to break in and steal anything.

Maybe look up some theories on Paranoia?

Or maybe the EMP monster doesnt live in Omaha...I dunno. Seems like more hastle than its worth to me.

davmoo
08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
My tin foil lined football helmet gives me all the protection I need.

laser_guided_brick
09-10-2008, 04:54 AM
EMP protection???

Where the hell do you live?

If your expecting EMP's powerful enough to mess up your PC and alike, I'd be more worried about the fate of mankind and heading for the nearest bomb shelter rather than weather I can play my DVD's or not.

A couple of decent UPS's is all that most normal people need to protect there gear from induced EM fields and spikes transmitted through power and phone lines during meteorological events such as storms etc.

If you are experiencing EM fields powerful enough to knock out you electrical equipment even if its unplugged on a regular basis, I would look at moving house before you develope a brain tumor or something equally as nasty.

laser_guided_brick
09-10-2008, 05:29 AM
i have an idea but im goin to need your help since u know more about this than i do i want to make an emp big enough to whip out the world not for a terrorist perpose but if i did then the o-zone would be fixed if everyone in the world stoped useing cars for 24 hours our o-zone would fix it self i understand if you dont want to help me but please think about it because i want to live to see my kids graduate college... please help

Some how I don't think EMP's effect steam engines, burning coal, fire in general, diesel engines, farting cows and live stock, shall I go on?
Also your chances of living a full life would be greatly reduced as essentials like food and clean water would become a rare commodity that people would kill for.
Not to mention the fact that CO2 emissions have nothing to do with the ozone layer.

So probably not a good idea....