PDA

View Full Version : Time machine for windows?

phantomjoemalone
01-29-2008, 05:15 PM
After listening to Patrick talk about Timemachine is there something that is close to it on Windows? I there's Norton, and other backup programs, and I'm not using Vista yet, or maybe ever, so I'm looking for something that will run under XP. Thanks

Shawn

darknessgp
01-29-2008, 07:47 PM
System restore is similar

Wow... I never expected such a stupid answer from you, though I guess I should from now on?

On topic: As far as I know, there is nothing like Time Machine on Windows. There is backup software, and some allow for picking up specific files. There are none that present the files in what appears to be an easy to use 3D interface (I don't have a Mac, and don't have money to waste to try out the OS) Though, it wouldn't surprise me if there is some company working on something like Time Machine.

ArmpitOfDeath
01-29-2008, 09:34 PM
As a 'bare metal' backup system, Acronis True Image Home is pretty awesome. It goes way beyond the capabilities of Time Machine.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

If you're thinking about appliances, Windows Home Server has incremental backup, and is a better, more resilient solution than Time Machine + Time Capsule - but then, Drobo + Acronis TIH would be a good solution too.

That is, if you aren't completely dumbfounded by eye candy over function as Appletards tend to be.

See, like many things on Apples the purpose of Time Capsule is to get people who don't understand something to do something reasonably well - those wouldn't ever think of backup, to do it automatically. If you're actually wondering about backup, you're already one step ahead of them and are ready for something other than a toy.

ArmpitOfDeath
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah. But he hasn't got Vista.

vahnx
01-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Backing up manually to an external hard drive is what I do. I recommend it to everyone. Don't bother with any software utility.

ArmpitOfDeath
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
That's a good backup of a backup for sure, but with tools like Acronis (Win) and Superduper (Mac) - to an external HDD of course - you can be back up in minutes from a fried HDD, as opposed to hours for a manually copied backup. Also tools like Acronis have more benefits beyond a simple backup.

Keep periodic copies of crucial documents by all means, but an automatic backup is IMO a must.

berrex
01-30-2008, 01:12 AM
See, like many things on Apples the purpose of Time Capsule is to get people who don't understand something to do something reasonably well - those wouldn't ever think of backup, to do it automatically. If you're actually wondering about backup, you're already one step ahead of them and are ready for something other than a toy.
First off, it's Time Machine. Also, it's valuable to advanced users too. It automatically makes incremental backups of your computer, so it's easy to restore something that you deleted by mistake. You can also restore your entire system off of a TM backup in the event that something goes terribly wrong. I'd say that it's a bit more than a toy, though I do think it could use some more advanced functionality. From what I hear, though, 10.5.2 is going to introduce some added features for TM. There's nothing wrong with easy.

xibalba
01-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Speaking of external hard drives what was that small case Patrick had on Tekzilla said it was Roger's or something but said he had one like it.

ArmpitOfDeath
01-30-2008, 11:23 AM
First off, it's Time Machine. Also, it's valuable to advanced users too.

Fine but I can't correct it now :rolleyes:

Also I don't dispute that - backups are useful - but bearing in mind what it actually does the crowing over TM doesn't make sense from 'advanced' users. I can only assume they are advanced Mac users, i.e. people who at least have a vague idea of what they're doing.

phantomjoemalone
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I know about system restore, I'm looking for something for my workers at my office, I'm just getting tired of them turning off the backups, and trying to find files. I'll take a look at Acronis, I was just was looking for something visual. Thanks for the reply's.

Shawn

ArmpitOfDeath
01-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Do you have a Windows server? That might make more sense - 2003 Server R2 has file versioning and extensive backup features. And in a smaller distributed environment you might like to consider Windows Home Server too.

rsmithuk
09-04-2008, 08:25 AM
No GUI but you could get a similar effect from following http://www.richs.me.uk/content/view/84/51/

tokenuser
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I know this thread was necroposted, but on a Windows platform, I use software that came with my WD Passport drive that is based on memeo (http://www.memeo.com/). It does snapshot backups of changed files, and lets you recover old versions of files.

Works well for me.

jfmeggitt
02-27-2009, 05:01 PM
There is a utility available today called Radix Remote

You can download a 15 day free trial at

www.flashlight-digital.com/radix

It can completely reload your system to an earlier version in under a minute, or you can just grab deleted files easily without reloading the entire system

The above link gets you the Premium version with unlimited restore points, and NO annual licensing fees

John Meggitt
Digital 66

esophagus
04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Okay, this has been singularly necroposted enough.