PDA

View Full Version : cheesy rev3 thread

rabidbadger
02-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok. I love an extra sharp cheddar. And also a smoked gouda. and warm brie on bread bits.

and that is for snacks. not for cooking, etc.

My friends get some expensive exotic cheeses. Can't remember their names, though. (the cheese names, not the friend names)

What cheeses should I try, both for snacks and cooking?

acidburn
02-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I like blue cheese on crackers, a good stilton blue. Irish Porter Cheddar has a nice flavor.
And I'd recommend a smoked mozzarella. I have that out as a pregame snack right now.

masherscf
02-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I like, Gruyeres and Parmaseano Regganio. But, I also like a good sharp cheddar.

tokenuser
02-03-2008, 09:56 PM
English Cheddar - none of the crappy "Aged over 90 DAYS" US stuff.
Danish Blue - a creamy blue cheese ... great on crackers.

Baked brie covered in fig jam or honey and sliced almonds. Yum.

But since it IS Superbowl Sunday, I guess all we can expect is Chez Wiz on stale Ritz.

kowgod
02-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Anything not pasteurized.

Yums!

jjallday
02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I once saw a Burger King ad featuring Homer Simpson that said "The only thing with more cheese is cheese!".

That about sums it up for me.

kronos6948
02-03-2008, 10:41 PM
There's some really pungent stuff out there.

But if you like Brie, you'll also like Camembert.

For anything that could be considered a young cheese (a.k.a. not allowed in the U.S.), I would say go to Canada if you can, or see if somehow you can get some sent to you. Otherwise you can't buy young cheeses in the U.S., for the same reason you can't get unpasteurized milk.

rabidbadger
02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
what the heck is "young" cheese?

rabidbadger
02-03-2008, 11:33 PM
and why am I having Monty Python flashbacks right now?

tokenuser
02-04-2008, 02:38 AM
There's some really pungent stuff out there.

But if you like Brie, you'll also like Camembert.

For anything that could be considered a young cheese (a.k.a. not allowed in the U.S.), I would say go to Canada if you can, or see if somehow you can get some sent to you. Otherwise you can't buy young cheeses in the U.S., for the same reason you can't get unpasteurized milk.Young cheeses are out there - but not in commercial quantities. We have two dairies locally that have them, but only sell at the local farmers market.

tokenuser
02-04-2008, 02:38 AM
and why am I having Monty Python flashbacks right now?Well, this IS a cheese thread isn't it?

Since this is a cheese thread, I'd like to throw in a little Dick Cheese (http://www.google.com/musica?aid=LphvPBddBqO&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result).

imlate
02-04-2008, 02:51 AM
http://www.enigmajade.com/portfolio/cheeseman.jpg

Cheeseman?

ariastar
02-04-2008, 02:58 AM
I love me some Jarlsberg swiss or a nice, smoky gouda. And NEVER underestimate the wonder of Easy Cheese on Triscuits!!

damnedeyez
02-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Oddly, I grew up in Wisconsin...but I never could really get into cheese.

geiselle
02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
My absolute favorite is mozzarella.

Goat cheese is pretty good.

kronos6948
02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Young cheeses are out there - but not in commercial quantities. We have two dairies locally that have them, but only sell at the local farmers market.

I have to find me a dairy farm then. I want FRESH milk. Ever since I had it in France, regular milk just doesn't compare. You know, the stuff you have to shake before using!

@rabidbadger....Young cheese is cheese that's been aged less than 60 days, IIRC.

Another one of my favorites is Asiago.

heyseuss
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Oddly, I grew up in Wisconsin...

Holy crap!!! Are you serious, that is odd. :o

heyseuss
02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I love me some Jarlsberg swiss or a nice, smoky gouda.

Favorites for me there. I easily eat a pound of swiss a week. Also mentioned Camembert and Asiago, big favs.

freeyourmind
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I like cheese. Cheese tastes good. Go cheese!!

ariastar
02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
You know, as long as it's cheese, and not bleu, because I"m deathy allergic, then it's all good.

BTW, American cheese is not real cheese, but still tastes pretty damned good. But it's got to be the stuff made with milk, not oil, Which is just nasty.

rabidbadger
02-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I love feta too. My best friend is greek and so much of her food has feta and similar in in it. Yum.

tokenuser
02-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I love feta too. My best friend is greek and so much of her food has feta and similar in in it. Yum.Feta is one cheese I really don't like - unless it is marinated (olive oil, juniper berries, chilli flakes, pepper corns).