PDA

View Full Version : Real People?

skyz
02-21-2008, 05:56 PM
if i were going to put on an act i would be an actress and get paid for doing so :)

i am real in life and on the net however to quote one of my own lyrics

all that i am is not for show

berrex
02-21-2008, 06:07 PM
What you see is pretty much what you get with me. I don't change my personality or beliefs or anything when I'm on a forum. It seems kind of silly to do so. And the reason I call myself Berrex here and not David is that there are an awful lot of Davids in the world. It would probably be taken. =P

I think the most common change people go through, and what actually affects me, when they're on the Internet is that they become more outgoing/outspoken. But that's because anonymity makes it a lot easier and more comfortable to open up. It doesn't change the personality, though.

mikec
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Berrex's post pretty much nailed it.

heyseuss
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I fake it online, because I don't want you people to know I'm a cute, teen virgin girl who gets over-turned on by geeky types.

ariastar
02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Sometimes I am a little more forward online, but, for the most part, WYSIWYG when it comes to me. I have an odd tendency to meet in real life people I met online. So if I am a total bitch or something online, then it doesn't matter how nice I am in person. I am far more open than you'll usually see, and more accessible. Now whether this is good or bad, I don't know. I'm Aria, and the Star was added simply because "Aria" is too short to be used as a handle for most things. Unfortunately someone else also uses ariastar, so sometimes I'm aria-star, or star-aria on MySpace.

Once upon a time I was so concerned about privacy and such that I did make up a persona to use, and it required too much energy to maintain.

Now that I'm dating a fellow forum member, who I can vouch is the same in person as he is here, it would just be WAY too odd to claim one personality here and another in real life.

masherscf
02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Shucks, I've been caught. I'm also a sexy 19-year old hot chick masquerading as a 40-year old college professor.

scoobydiesel
02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I talk a little more online at times, feel more safe or something? but other wise I is me no matter what.

heyseuss
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Shucks, I've been caught. I'm also a sexy 19-year old hot chick masquerading as a 40-year old college professor.

We should make-out, and sell it on a ppv-cast.

xibalba
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I am an A.I. that is self aware and slowly taking over the world through the internet. There will be no stopping me the human race will bow before their computer god....errr ignore that I am just a human boy doing what human boys do like watch television, play video games and listen to music.

ariastar
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
We should make-out, and sell it on a ppv-cast.

Sounds kinky. Can I hold the camera?

ryudo
02-21-2008, 08:12 PM
I AM ERROR

ariastar
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I AM ERROR

I AM LEGI-

Wait...never mind.

berrex
02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
So its pretty much the same with most of us, we are all more outgoing, outspoken and approachable online. But with our privacy on the internet being alot more perpetrated everyday, will we remain this way? Yes the internet allows us to go beyond free speech and all, but with too many personal information being leaked and exposed can we actually continue to be ourselves anymore, or assume our aliases completely?

Well, I don't worry too much about my privacy online. I'm very careful about what I allow to get out there, and about what stays at home. I keep my computer very secure, and I always know exactly where my sensitive information is. Granted, this doesn't guarantee my safety, but it does make it a thousand times less likely for my identity to be compromised. To give you an idea of how secure I keep my information, all of my most sensitive records are encrypted with 256-bit AES encryption, protected by a 21-character password, containing variations of numbers, letters, capitals & lower case, and special characters. This password is stored nowhere except in my brain. That might sound a tad extreme, but hey, it works for me. And I know when an email or website is legitimate or not. It's all about caution, and ability to pick up on scams and phishing attempts. Oh, and the ability to keep your wallet in your pocket. =)

So with that said, I don't worry too much about my identity. If I give out my real name, David Neeley, and acted according to my personality, nobody will be able to do anything with it. But if I gave out my SSN as well and posted my credit card numbers and bank account information, then that's a different story. And sadly, that's exactly what a lot of people do when they receive a phishing email, follow the link to some suspicious website, and enter in a bunch of info in hopes of getting xyz that was promised in the email. Or what people do on sites like MySpace (especially with phone numbers and home addresses).

heyseuss
02-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Yes the internet allows us to go beyond free speech and all, but with too many personal information being leaked and exposed can we actually continue to be ourselves anymore, or assume our aliases completely?

I believe ppl assume aliases of their personality in real life too, depending on the situation. The way I acted when in a meeting with the owner of Sony, was verry different than the way I acted 3 hrs later, smoking pot on the beach with some hot little girl.

heyseuss
02-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Sounds kinky. Can I hold the camera?

I don't know, CAN you? Probbly not with all that hot teen girl action going on.

masherscf
02-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey how about AriaStar join in it, threesome! I'm sure I could hold the camera.....:)

Please, I'm not a tramp!

heyseuss
02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey how about AriaStar join in it, threesome! I'm sure I could hold the camera.....:)

Can't. Ariastar is actually a fat, balding, short, impotent jewish guy who's been sucking on the same unlit cigar for 5 days and has a penchant for hanging out in the coldfood section of small town grocery stores populated by bored housewives... until 3pm, then he makes his way to the local school parking lot. He also has to be mildly electrocuted to 'feel' and has skin that smells like liverwurst. He'd be great for handling the money though.

rabidbadger
02-21-2008, 11:28 PM
dude. you have so got to write a vonnegut/boyle/(tim)Robbins type book.

heyseuss
02-21-2008, 11:29 PM
dude. you have so got to write a vonnegut/boyle/(tim)Robbins type book.

Are I dude ?

tokenuser
02-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Shucks, I've been caught. I'm also a sexy 19-year old hot chick masquerading as a 40-year old college professor.I am really an angry black woman. You know the type. You see us on Montel fighting over the paternity of our kids with our meth head cracker boyfriends. But I found I was getting no respect online, so I decided to become "generic white guy".

OBAMA/WINFREY '08!!!

rabidbadger
02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
none of you know this. I got a secret. I like chicks and boobies. and stuff.

heyseuss
02-21-2008, 11:42 PM
none of you know this. I got a secret. I like chicks and boobies. and stuff.

I believe you about the chicks and boobies - but I don't believe you about the stuff.

damnedeyez
02-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I am...an unknown quantity.

So, nyah.

tokenuser
02-21-2008, 11:50 PM
For Badger ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/More_chicks.jpg/394px-More_chicks.jpg

http://archiearchive.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/boobies.jpg

heyseuss
02-22-2008, 12:11 AM

Looks just like my girlfriend. The one on the right is slightly larger, and pointing the other way.

heyseuss
02-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I am...an unknown quantity.

So, nyah.

You mean 'quality', don't you ?

skyz
02-22-2008, 12:21 AM

blue feet - that's a sure fire fashion trend :D

damnedeyez
02-22-2008, 12:29 AM
You mean 'quality', don't you ?

nope...it says unknown quantity over on the right...

I know my quality, it's very very...lacking.

ariastar
02-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Can't. Ariastar is actually a fat, balding, short, impotent jewish guy who's been sucking on the same unlit cigar for 5 days and has a penchant for hanging out in the coldfood section of small town grocery stores populated by bored housewives... until 3pm, then he makes his way to the local school parking lot. He also has to be mildly electrocuted to 'feel' and has skin that smells like liverwurst. He'd be great for handling the money though.

Ah, dammit, the truth has been revealed!