PDA

View Full Version : I need help quitting smoking

bani-banan
03-29-2008, 07:11 AM
So, I've come to the conclusion that smoking is bad, mmkey,

After have been smoking for roughly 4 years (currently 18), I feel that it ain't as cool as it used to be. Quite frankly, it isn't cool at all.

I've tried quitting before, but fail miserably. It only lasted 7 hours.
I almost went bananas.

I've read a couple of articles addressing this matter, but somehow they haven't motivated me enough.

I just love the taste, I love getting the endorphine rush in the morning. If you can call it an endorphine rush.

I'm often stressed at work, and the cigarette calms me down. Stressed at home, and even that sooths the "mental pain".

Have any of you quit smoking?

I'm not asking for tips from non-smokers. But, from people that have actually succeeded with quitting.

I'm not really into the chewing nicotine gum. I'll end up getting addicted to that as well.

I'm trying to go with the "reward yourself" route.

I'm forcing myself to get an A+ certification. So, money that I would usually spend on cigarettes would go straight to the certification "box" I have in my drawer.

What inspired you? What did you replace that nasty cigarette with?

Thanks

tokenuser
03-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I am not a smoker. Never have been. My father WAS a heavy smokeer, and the constant stale tabacco smell was enough to turn me off it. My GF (now wife) was also a smoker when I met her, and had been smoking since she was about 14 as well (rebellious catholic school girl :) )

They both gave up cold turkey. I avoided my father for about 6 weeks while he was coming off the nicotine addiction.

I couldn't avoid the GF, but the level of intimacy increased ;) when she gave up, so there was an inbuilt reward structure that helped her through it.

There is no magic bullet. Some people swear by patches, others use nicotine gum, some switch to herbal cigarettes (no, not *that* herb). Others find that they just need something to do with their hands (I had a friend that taught himself card tricks - when he felt like a smoke at work, he pulled out the deck of cards ... it worked for him).

skyz
03-29-2008, 03:38 PM
any addiction has its desire / reward stage and its disgust / avoidance stage

example: the chocolate cake looks good i am eating the whole thing umm oh it is so good

next i feel gross i look like a slob ....

you break the cycle when at the time of the desire / reward stage you can call up the disgust / avoidance stage

like a split screen in your mind

also substitute some other pleasure

i remember the day that i was standing in front of the hagaan daz with a copy of vogue in my hand and i realized:

these two desires cancel each other out

so i went with the vogue and haagen daz lost its grip on me

tokenuser
03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
so i went with the vogue and haagen daz lost its grip on meIts a sad day when a magazine that distorts a woman's image of self worth overrides the epicurian delights of Haagen Dazs' Dulce de Leche (http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=73) ice cream.

skyz
03-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Its a sad day when a magazine that distorts a woman's image of self worth overrides the epicurian delights of Haagen Dazs' Dulce de Leche (http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=73) ice cream.

it was not a sad day for me

i would rather wear chanel than haagen daz

fashion is not all about distorted image

fashion if not overdone is fun

innocent harmeless fun

and provides pleasure to the viewer

do you think these jeans are too tight ?

do you think this pink silk top is too sheer ? ;)

ariastar
03-29-2008, 06:46 PM
it was not a sad day for me

i would rather wear chanel than haagen daz

fashion is not all about distorted image

fashion if not overdone is fun

innocent harmeless fun

and provides pleasure to the viewer

do you think these jeans are too tight ?

do you think this pink silk top is too sheer ? ;)

I think he's referring to how these magazines have an ability to make the average woman feel bad about herself for not being pretty/thin/rich/sexy enough.

ariastar
03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Everyone I know who has quit successfully quit cold-turkey and just put up with the feeling of going nuts for a while. Nicotine damages nerve receptors in the brain that nicotine bridges, so you've got to wait for those to repair. How about switching to straight tobacco for a few days, then trying to quit. You'll feel sick for a few days, but realize it's making your body better. Stay alone if you can and watch a lot of tv. Hell, drink a lot of beer. Cold turkey isn't fun, but neither is dying from this:

http://medicineworld.org/images/blogs/smokers-lung-22312.jpg

Only the second is a lot more painful and lasts a LOT longer.

tokenuser
03-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I think he's referring to how these magazines have an ability to make the average woman feel bad about herself for not being pretty/thin/rich/sexy enough.Close - I was referring to the way those magazines make real women think that they are not pretty/thin/rich/sexy enough.

iccanui
03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
So, I've come to the conclusion that smoking is bad, mmkey,

After have been smoking for roughly 4 years (currently 18), I feel that it ain't as cool as it used to be. Quite frankly, it isn't cool at all.

I've tried quitting before, but fail miserably. It only lasted 7 hours.
I almost went bananas.

I've read a couple of articles addressing this matter, but somehow they haven't motivated me enough.

I just love the taste, I love getting the endorphine rush in the morning. If you can call it an endorphine rush.

I'm often stressed at work, and the cigarette calms me down. Stressed at home, and even that sooths the "mental pain".

Have any of you quit smoking?

I'm not asking for tips from non-smokers. But, from people that have actually succeeded with quitting.

I'm not really into the chewing nicotine gum. I'll end up getting addicted to that as well.

I'm trying to go with the "reward yourself" route.

I'm forcing myself to get an A+ certification. So, money that I would usually spend on cigarettes would go straight to the certification "box" I have in my drawer.

What inspired you? What did you replace that nasty cigarette with?

Thanks

Gum and candy are good for the first month or 2. Dont keep on with that cause itll make ya fat, but for the first month or so itll do as a replacement.

secondly, get away from your smoker friends. Yea i know, but suck it up and play a lot of video games, learn something like web design or coding or play b-ball. Start running actually this is the best thing you can do at your age cause at the ripe old age of 33 i can tell you right now that one of the biggest regrets i have in my life, is that i didnt take exercise more seriously at your age cause you can get into a pattern of health now, when your older its harder. Take it small steps at a time, dont kill yourself or your will dread doing it, just find your limit and push it a little when your motivated.

But yea, just get away from it, thats the biggest step.

bani-banan
03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Still, I'm kind of worried that I would end up replacing "this wonderful cigarette" with sponge cake or what not.

I'll try to replace the cigarette with the less dangerous herb (Yes, that herb).
At least "The herb" hasn't been proven to cause any harm to the human body.

bani-banan
03-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Gum and candy are good for the first month or 2. Dont keep on with that cause itll make ya fat, but for the first month or so itll do as a replacement.

secondly, get away from your smoker friends. Yea i know, but suck it up and play a lot of video games, learn something like web design or coding or play b-ball. Start running actually this is the best thing you can do at your age cause at the ripe old age of 33 i can tell you right now that one of the biggest regrets i have in my life, is that i didnt take exercise more seriously at your age cause you can get into a pattern of health now, when your older its harder. Take it small steps at a time, dont kill yourself or your will dread doing it, just find your limit and push it a little when your motivated.

But yea, just get away from it, thats the biggest step.

Fact of the matter is, all of my friends smoke. Seriously, ALL of my friends smoke. Which is quite frustrating.

Having a beer with them, bullshitting about chicks - having a smoke.

Finding friends these days that aren't douchebags is not as easy as it used to be.

rabidbadger
03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
make that lung pic as your av, then whenever you come to the forums you will see those lungs next to your name.... not a positive association.

esophagus
03-29-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm not a smoker, so take my word for what it is worth.

For a long time my savings plan was finding what the average price of a pack of smokes is and putting that into my bank account every two days (as if I were a light smoker). It adds up quick.

It has always been the money that kept me from smoking, as opposed to the negative effects on my health.

skyz
03-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not a smoker, so take my word for what it is worth.

For a long time my savings plan was finding what the average price of a pack of smokes is and putting that into my bank account every two days (as if I were a light smoker). It adds up quick.

It has always been the money that kept me from smoking, as opposed to the negative effects on my health.

$ is a good incentive

calculate the cost of 'toys' you want by packs

as i stated substituting another pleasure (one that isn't deadly) is useful that way you don't feel deprived and your toys distract your attention

ariastar
03-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Close - I was referring to the way those magazines make real women think that they are not pretty/thin/rich/sexy enough.

That's what I meant to get across. Those magazines make us think that way, so I ended up stating it as a fact rather than a thought.

skyz
03-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Close - I was referring to the way those magazines make real women think that they are not pretty/thin/rich/sexy enough.

i feel thin pretty and sexy enough

and it is google not vogue that makes me think i should be richer :cool:

unless taken to extremes fashion is just a game played with colors textures shapes and scents

murphy1d
03-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Fact of the matter is, all of my friends smoke. Seriously, ALL of my friends smoke. Which is quite frustrating.

Having a beer with them, bullshitting about chicks - having a smoke.

Finding friends these days that aren't douchebags is not as easy as it used to be.

OK Bani, I am in the throes of quitting too and I will celebrate my 3rd month on April 1st. (Yes, I quit very tritely on New Years Eve).

But here's the thing - quitting, I've done it several times. Tried the patch, my Dr. made me stop (how weird is that) b/c of acid reflux. Tried the lozenges and they were great to get through the stressful meetings, and they helped with the "habit" of lighting a cig "because I was in my car." Yet, I was still feeding my addiction slowly.

Tried cold turkey and it worked great, till I was at a bar and drinking and a cig sounded soo good. By the end of teh month I was back at a pack a day.

Yet cold turkey is the way. And I mean cold.... No "smoke just one" situations. As of right now I also had to stay away from smoking situations till I was strong enough to say no even when drunk.

So good luck and let us know how you are doing.

xibalba
03-29-2008, 09:00 PM
I still smoke cigars from time to time but I am done with cigarettes.

xibalba
03-29-2008, 09:17 PM
thin pretty and sexy

A sight I'd like to see. :D ;)

ryudo
03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I smoked for 3 years pack and a half a day,I quit cold turkey..all that drove me was being a part of football...so I had a rewarding goal in site.

Holy shit it wasn't easy and I went nuts for a bit but pulled through it and I had to get away from my smoking friends.

may not work for everyone but foe me I had a real goal in site with a time limit to accomplish it.

ericjosepi
03-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Man, I almost started in the fall of 05... The day my boss at one of my jobs was quitting I was working with him pretty close in the shop and he had to have smoked a pack in the 4 hours I was working with him. I went home and I was having a mini nic-fit, like I almost drove to the gas station and grabbed a pack.

I'm very glad I didn't. I've saved my lungs for other things;like singing... and loosing my voice at hockey games... and smoking not cigarettes

rabidbadger
03-30-2008, 12:02 AM
yeah eric, don't even try. would ruin your voice. unless ya wanna be tom waits. but you already got the whiskey thing going for ya. hah

damnedeyez
03-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I still smoke cigars from time to time but I am done with cigarettes.

Pipe here...but same idea.

I quit the cigarettes cold turkey though...it helps when one isn't around smokers that much.

ariastar
03-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks guys!

Still, I'm kind of worried that I would end up replacing "this wonderful cigarette" with sponge cake or what not.

I'll try to replace the cigarette with the less dangerous herb (Yes, that herb).
At least "The herb" hasn't been proven to cause any harm to the human body.

Sponge cake weight comes back off. And pot's just all-around good. Seriously, either or both together are better than cigarettes.

ericjosepi
03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Sponge cake weight comes back off. And pot's just all-around good. Seriously, either or both together are better than cigarettes.

Can you really do one without the other? Or one without whichever foodstuffs are handy and don't require preparation?