PDA

View Full Version : Post Casting Couch Cigarette

racemccloud
05-12-2008, 07:13 PM
So, rather than pre-casting various actors and what-not into comic book roles, I got to thinking... of the actors who have been cast over the years (and we've had quite a boom in the past few years), which casting choices have worked, and which haven't? Who was a perfect choice, and who was awful?

I've got a few for starters:

Perfect casting:
Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man (Possibly the best casting choice of all time.)
Hugh Jackman - Wolverine
Ron Perlman - Hellboy
Christian Bale - Batman
Chris Evans - Human Torch
Willem Dafoe - Norman Osborn

Awful, awful casting:
Ioan Gruffudd - Mr. Fantastic
Jessica Alba - Sue Storm
Julian McMahon - Dr. Doom

Boy, those Fantastic Four movies sucked ass. Anyone else want to chime in?

cammyknoxville
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Perfect Casting
Mickey Rourke - Marv

Awful, Awful Casting
Nicolas Cage - Johnny Blaze

paper
05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
The best were Ron Perlman as Hellboy and Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.

I actually don't like the choice of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. He does a fine job with it, but that's not really Wolverine. I love Hugh Jackman, and won't deny his success in that role, but it's just not a perfect match in my mind.

esophagus
05-12-2008, 07:46 PM
GOOD
Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man
Michael Caine - Alfred Pennyworth
Ron Perlman - Hellboy
Rodrigo Santoro - King Xerxes
Patrick Stewart - Proffesor Xavier
Ian McKellen - Magneto
Allan Cumming - Nightcrawler
Cillian Murphy - The Scarecrow
Clff Robertson - Ben Parker
Terrence Howard - Jim Rhodes
Christopher Reeves - Superman
Gene Hackman - Lex Luthor
Doug Jones - Abe Sapien
David Hyde Pierce - Abe Sapien

BAD
Katie Holmes - Rachel Dawes
Jim Carey - Riddler
Halle Berry - Cat Woman
Halle Berry - Storm
Arnold Schwarzenegger - Mr. Freeze
Alicia Silverstone - Batgirl
Tyler Mane - Sabretooth
Ray Park - Toad
James Marsden - Cyclops
Shaq - Steel
Kate Bosworth - Lois Lane
Vinnie Jones - Juggernaut
Famke Janssen - Jean Grey

esophagus
05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I actually don't like the choice of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. He does a fine job with it, but that's not really Wolverine. I love Hugh Jackman, and won't deny his success in that role, but it's just not a perfect match in my mind.I feel that way about Jackman as well. He does good, but I don't love him as much as most.

The more I see The Dark Knight trailer, the more I feel that way about Christian Bale as well. I think it has more to do with my hating the batsuit, and Heath Ledger outdoing him.

paper
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I disagree with two of those, and only two. Marsden and Janssen as Scott and Jean. Those were very good casting choices.

esophagus
05-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I disagree with two of those, and only two. Marsden and Janssen as Scott and Jean. Those were very good casting choices.I liked Marsden in the last two, didn't like him in the first one.

Didn't like Janssen at all.

paper
05-12-2008, 07:55 PM
There's only one X-Men movie. It's called X2.

kwok_talk
05-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Generally agree with a lot already said. I thought Kelsey Grammar as the Beast was a good pick.

Iím also in the camp that thinks Christian Bale isnít the best Batman choice. I think he fits Bruce Wayne, but he didnít click as Batman for me.

esophagus
05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Generally agree with a lot already said. I thought Kelsey Grammar as the Beast was a good pick.

Iím also in the camp that thinks Christian Bale isnít the best Batman choice. I think he fits Bruce Wayne, but he didnít click as Batman for me.I think he has a better balance than anyone who has played him before. We always get a terrible Batman or a terrible Bruce Wayne. Bale is definitely better at showing Wayne than Batman, but I don't think he did bad with it.

euchre0
05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
While there are many more "good fits," there are the ones that seem to me like the character walked right of the page and onto the screen:

Patrick Stewart - Professor X
Robert Downey Jr. - Tony Stark
Kelsey Grammar - Beast
Kevin Spacey - Lex Luthor

Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth comes very close, but his physical appearance isn't spot on. So while the others are 100%, he's like a 98%.

cam-
05-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I agree with Eso, I thought Famke was a bad Jean Grey, now I know a lot of people like her, but in my mind Jean is WAY hotter.

I disagree that Allan Cumming was a good Nightcrawler, while the special effects were good, I don't know if there was enough to really pass judgement good or bad. Sure he did the accent well, in my mind that was the extent of it.

paper
05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Dude, Famke Janssen's like a 10. And she pulled off the authority as well.

cam-
05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
If by authority you mean "blank stare" she was bang on.

And a 10? Nope. a strong 8.

paper
05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
So, who would you cast?

esophagus
05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
She just didn't feel like she had any personality. Like she had a teleprompter or something. Obviously that wasn't the case because I seem to be in the minority.

paper
05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
See, I always thought of the character as detached, sort of serious. She's got the mind powers and she's a type A personality, so I'm thinking she's not gonna be so vivacious. She's lost in her thoughts. So the appeal for Scott and Logan is, damn, I want this chick to notice me.

racemccloud
05-13-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm gonna chime in and say that I absolutely LOVE Jim Carrey's Riddler.

racemccloud
05-13-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm gonna chime in and say that I absolutely LOVE Jim Carrey's Riddler.

But I WILL agree he was doing a take on Frank Gorshin's Riddler, and not the actual comic book Riddler.

esophagus
05-13-2008, 01:23 AM
Jim Carrey's Riddler fit into the universe Schumacher created, and that is not a good thing.

esophagus
05-13-2008, 01:25 AM
See, I always thought of the character as detached, sort of serious. She's got the mind powers and she's a type A personality, so I'm thinking she's not gonna be so vivacious. She's lost in her thoughts. So the appeal for Scott and Logan is, damn, I want this chick to notice me.To me she felt more like an actress that wants to be left alone than a superhero who just wants to be left alone. If that makes sense.

paper
05-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Makes sense. I haven't seen the X-Men movie in a while. They should have made more than one.

esophagus
05-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Makes sense. I haven't seen the X-Men movie in a while. They should have made more than one.I think I have some pretty strong evidence that says that isn't a good idea. :p

horatio616
05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
If by authority you mean "blank stare" she was bang on.

And a 10? Nope. a strong 8.

Jeez! I want to live where you live!

horatio616
05-13-2008, 09:46 PM
She just didn't feel like she had any personality. Like she had a teleprompter or something. Obviously that wasn't the case because I seem to be in the minority.

So she's just as boring as she is in the comics. ;)