PDA

View Full Version : Diggnation Episode 72 [discussion]

jay
11-19-2006, 02:59 AM
Well, no one else posted a thread, so I figured...what the heck. Diggnation, in the Thanksgiving tradition, has released a clip show. Enjoy this one...Next week is also a vacation week, just a warning!

Enjoy folks!

-Jay

tangerine
11-19-2006, 03:51 AM
I loved seeing the opening via the Zune. That was very cool.
Just thinking better clips could have been chosen because it lacks the tech thread we all listen/watch the show for.

Does the announcement of next week being a vacation week mean no video or another compilation video?

klitzy
11-19-2006, 04:02 AM
@Tangerine...Most likely no video

Felt so much like home seeing Keith's name back on the credits....

magunwarrior
11-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Well it was a good episode, for a clip show I suppose. Well since it was so short I watched it two times, once normal and once in slow mo. I recommend watching it in slow mo. They sound like a bunch of stoner's just kind of rambling on, guaranteed laughs, especially the clip from episode #61.

scott1
11-19-2006, 05:00 AM
@Tangerine
You must spend too much time reading the digg comments (http://digg.com/users/Klitzy/dugg)instead of the articles. But atlest your not in the top 80th like me (http://www.digg.com/topusers?digsearch=scott1)

reeses2150
11-19-2006, 05:31 AM
But atlest your not in the top 80th like me (http://www.digg.com/topusers?digsearch=scott1)

And I thought I was a showoff (juggling and all). I'm still downloading, but I doubt that my clip made it into the show. I can always hope though, until someone posts "no". lol

yashar
11-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Wow. They sold out. I'm not the only one who thought that also, go check on digg.

chepenguin
11-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Yer because the fact they got sponsored by Zune and HD-DVD means the digg community will change and only start digging Microsoft stories and HD-DVD stories.(sarcastic btw just sarcasm is hard to express in a post lol). Just because there getting sponsors that have some influence does not mean there selling out, it just means they get more money for what they are doing.

jay
11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Also, we are still sponsored by Godaddy and Cachefly. We're beginning to sell more ads, to various groups, which should be a good sign to you all...

Selling out? Sort of a strong way of putting it... I guess every time we sell a sponsor, we're "selling out," but isn't that the point?

timpaschalis
11-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Long time listener, first time poster!

Always wanted to say that.

I dont think its selling out, unless Kevin all of a sudden starts praising everything Microsoft. So far the sponsorships dont seems to have influenced the content.

Just my two cents

p.s.

Does Alex have 'man-boobs' in that opening scene, or is it just the angle of the camera (they say it adds 20 lbs ;)

psylion
11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Iím sad they cut off the clip from episode 50 before Kevinís reaction the ďHow do you call yourself a man?Ē comment. I wish they had made a clip show with more funny or embarrassing stories that have nothing to do with the show such as the story about Kevin and the underage girl/gun story or the Alexís Jamaican marijuana story. Maybe they need to have some of the fans that have way too much spare time do some clip compilations for them.

Jay, you guys arenít sell-outs. We want you to make enough money that you keep making the content that we like. If you donít have a show for next week maybe you could put last yearís Thanksgiving episode into the feed.

yashar
11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Yea I guess you guys are right, I've been accustomed to seeing the regular sponsors.

scott1
11-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Selling out? Sort of a strong way of putting it... I guess every time we sell a sponsor, we're "selling out," but isn't that the point?
Of cource this umm.........netcasting just like tv getting advertisers to advertise on your show is the point.

I can't wait till Rev3 broa...netcast the superbowl!
And I thought I was a showoff (juggling and all). I'm still downloading, but I doubt that my clip made it into the show. I can always hope though, until someone posts "no". lol
Juggling doesn't work anymore. We live in the 21st century this (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Can_t_get_the_Wii_Watch_someone_play_it_for_a_week _straight_LIVE)is how people show off and this too (http://digg.com/videos_comedy/Brand_new_PS3_Smashed_VIDEO).

alexisthebest
11-19-2006, 09:05 PM
They should have put the episode where there was a Mac vs. XP Shoutout.

"BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! YEAAAAAAAAA!"

kowgod
11-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Juggling doesn't isn't people do to show anymore.

Sploosh.

My brain just melted ;)

billpickle1
11-19-2006, 10:17 PM
This clip show could have been alot better. It seems at least to me that they through it together just to get the ads out.

d3koy
11-19-2006, 10:43 PM
I'd bet money that there will be a heck of a lot less jabs as Micro$oft, seeing as they are a sponsor....

blunden
11-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I think they put way too much content from the live tapings in this one. Sure, some of the things they say in the live shows are good, but I always enjoy the normal ones more. The live ones are only about people trying to get Kevin and Alex as drunk as possible, not about the stories or small side-stories that you usually get in the normal episodes.

jeffchan
11-19-2006, 10:55 PM
The show is too short, but brings back the o' times. Lol, spread the taco.

http://digg.com/videos_comedy/Diggnation_Holiday_Clip_Show_Special_Is_Out digg this!

scott1
11-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Sploosh.

My brain just melted ;)
what isn't doesn't talk wasn't about!

nefarious
11-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Wow, more sponsors great..
Perhaps members that pay don't have to put up with 5 sponsors an episode? Might be a bit more incentive to donate.

Or maybe put all 27 of the sponsors after the credits so I wont have to mute the podcast in the middle of it.

klitzy
11-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Wow, more sponsors great..
Perhaps members that pay don't have to put up with 5 sponsors an episode? Might be a bit more incentive to donate.

Or maybe put all 27 of the sponsors after the credits so I wont have to mute the podcast in the middle of it.

Does everyone really hate the sponsors that much? I love hearing about it from Kevin and Alex...A commercial I would hate but I like the sponsor readings and all...

nefarious
11-20-2006, 12:09 AM
I did when it was just 2, but if it's going to get stupid now with 5+ minutes being dedicated to them. When the shows are only 20-30 mins long.

Also I've always liked the idea that diggnation are sponsored by things they believe in, rather than just whoever comes along with ca$h.

artofwar420
11-20-2006, 04:30 AM
... So.... they like the Zune... wah...???

Anyways, when do we get a full show then?

kowgod
11-20-2006, 05:41 AM
I think they put way too much content from the live tapings in this one. Sure, some of the things they say in the live shows are good, but I always enjoy the normal ones more. The live ones are only about people trying to get Kevin and Alex as drunk as possible, not about the stories or small side-stories that you usually get in the normal episodes.

The theme of the show was exactly that, the best of the live shows. Alex said it right at the beginning. It was all live shows.

Now, as to the selling out part. Guys, remember, Kevin and Alex try HARD to sell out! :) Every time some new product comes to market, Alex and Kevin say openly "Anyone at microsoft wanna hook us up with a Zune/XBox 360/Macbook/Magic Bullet/Free Beer/safari to Africa/anything else under the sun, that'd be totally sweet!!!"

They are up front about it. They want cool shit.

Who cares if Microsoft and HD DVD are sponsoring now. Look at it this way, at least these products are at least somewhat remotely targeted at you. It's better than TV, where most of the advertising has to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I don't think Rev3 or Digg have sold out. I think they're trying to make the best of their advertising dollars for everyone involved: Rev3, the sponsors, and yes us, the viewers.

I liked seeing the fresh ads, and I actually look forward to hearing what Kev and Alex think of the Zune.

jeffchan
11-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Does everyone really hate the sponsors that much? I love hearing about it from Kevin and Alex...A commercial I would hate but I like the sponsor readings and all...

I don't really get with the "paid membership" when they have sponsors that pay them in grands. I have no problem with sponsors at all. I specially love it when they don't do it like a commercial, and they talk about it like they would about a normal digg story.

kzzyo
11-21-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm just surprised MS realized this was a good place to do adds... They aren't usually that astute in connecting their company with a cool site.. Good on you guys.. Get as many companies giving you money as you can, whatever it takes to keep the great podcast going!!

Never worry about the world ending today... It's already tomorrow in Australia!:)

wastern
11-21-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm a little worried about the Zune sponsorship. It may take away from some of the non-bias viewpoint of the show

I know Kevin has been saying he though they looked cool before they came out, but he is a Mac user so it won't even work on his system

Not to mention that now its out its got all sorts of issues with it, seems like they rushed it out the door and it wasn't done. I think that them being a sponsor might have an effect on the reporting and everything about it might get a positive spin even if there isn't really anything positive about it

If they do a Zune vs. iPod review I think they would be getting a lot of pressure from MS to have the Zune come out on top regardless of their true thought on the subject

mark0
11-21-2006, 09:20 PM
It's good that they are now officialy sponsored by Microsoft, because Microsoft is sponsonring them since a long time.
They alway try to make the Ps3 bad , while saying how great the Xbox 360 is.
Thay even tell complete lies, like when Alex said that the 360 will be 100% backwards compatible, wich is complete bullshit as we all know.
It's sad what have become to the "Darktipper" Kevin Rose...

If anyone Complaines, english isn't my native Language.

stuartea
11-22-2006, 10:24 AM
There's a nice article on the sponsorship at:

http://mediaright.vox.com/library/post/zune-and-hddvd-to-sponsor-diggnation.html

It also appears Rocketboom turned MS down:
http://www.dembot.com/011420.html

It is really a tech show, you can't say it's just about reading what's on digg, they can pick and choose the stories and they'll make comments about them. If they're being paid by someone, for instance, you would have to take anything they say about Zune or HD-DVD with a pinch of salt, that's only common sense. I'm sure they'll throw some positive negatives at them, but they're hardly going to slag off their sponsors.

Besides, they're hardly ever unbias of course, Alex has been given a laptop for free, are we really to believe it's the best laptop no matter what he says?

Cachfly and godaddy are services, not products in the same way, they're just mentions and aren't given a 'spot', it would be different if zune & hd-dvd were just mentioned at the end without any great comment. This is where they're walking a fine line.

Oh and epsiode, worst episode ever. You don't need a clip show for a podcast when you could just download the older podcasts and skip through them (perhaps in the UK we don't get this 'holiday clip' thing?)

This was more they had to get the sponsorship out and this was a nice quick easy way to do so, it also allows time for people to discuss it and hopefully forget about it a little by the next one.

Call me a cynic if you will. : )

jay
11-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I hate to spoil any assumptions that Kevin would never touch Microsoft products, but he actually thinks the Zune is a good idea. He uses both Macs and Windows, and really walks a fine line between the platforms.

You may remember he switched back to Microsoft for a number of months when he had a better machine...

In any case, Kevin would never say anything positive about a product if he didn't think it was true. If a sponsor came to us with a product to sponsor the show, and he didn't have any passion for it, either we wouldn't select it or the words he would choose would not be endorsing.

kowgod
11-23-2006, 03:33 PM
If my advertiesed-on-diggnation buying habits continue as before, I will be buying 3 zunes over the next month.

Hmm. Money... maybe I can ebay some of this... tea?

rowlodge
11-23-2006, 04:18 PM
i see a godaddy commercial coming i'm able to tune it out like commercials on the tv, commercials don't work, except to satisfy there sponsors.