PDA

View Full Version : Episode 103: Jonathan Coulton, muxtape vs. mixwit, rock band vs. itunes

chuckles
06-05-2008, 04:03 AM
After a long hiatus, we are back with a ton of news and contributions from MIX, plus we're announcing our licensing partnership with the good folks at Revision3! This week's FU is served by Jonathan Coulton, the ultimate geek rock star.

Watch it here (http://revision3.com/epicfu/coulton/).

ryudo
06-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Okay never heard of this show till now but all I can say is Epic fu is an Epic win.

question will it ever be a tad longer(15 min at the least 30 at most)

So loved this and keep it coming!:D

bani-banan
06-05-2008, 04:44 AM
I have mixed feelings.

I'll tune in next week to see if things have changed.

chuckles
06-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Okay never heard of this show till now but all I can say is Epic fu is an Epic win.

question will it ever be a tad longer(15 min at the least 30 at most)

So loved this and keep it coming!:D

The plan is for multiple releases per week. At this point, it is twice a week. :)

-chuckles-

jinstarwing
06-05-2008, 04:47 AM
Really liked the show looking froward to see more.

tyashki
06-05-2008, 05:03 AM
I had seen this around somewhere but never got around to watching. Downloading now.

shinku
06-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Hm. I think I've seen Zadi/this before, or at least something very similar (though y'know, I think it might've been a little less specific in its content...)

I think I actually like it... I'm not keen on the random jump cuts all over the place, but the content seems like it could be interesting. Zadi's occasionally borderline cringeworthy sometimes, but not so much I've quit watching before the end. I'll probably watch a couple more as they come out to work out whether I like it or not.

aaronbond
06-05-2008, 05:42 AM
hey zadi,

d/k if she's on the forums yet, but big fan since mid-07. good idea jumping over to rev3. glad to see the fu is finally back after that long hiatus! :):D

samureye
06-05-2008, 05:43 AM
I like the editing. This show format and this girl are familiar, when I downloaded Miro I saw her on something. Not bad, I will be watching and I like the length.

pandrogas
06-05-2008, 05:47 AM
I watched a couple episodes a few weeks back and really liked it, just never got into the habit of hitting up the website on a regular basis. Pretty spiffy now that it's on Revision3.

As for the editing, seems that it's always been a bit jumpy, so if you're not used to it, it can throw you. I don't mind the editing, I think it works pretty well for the show format, kind of like a throwback to the earlier days of web video (or an old episode of Max Headroom). Some of it might be covering up, but I think a large chunk of it is for the artistic effect. Plus it keeps you from staring too long. Lol.

I also agree that it being longer would be cool, but it's also going to be on twice a week, so I think that pretty much makes up for it.

Can't wait to see how it pans out going forward. :)

samureye
06-05-2008, 05:51 AM
It doesn't seem like a terribly easy show to do. :s

rokov
06-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Interesting show, I think I liked it (it's still sinking in). Great content, but the pacing is a bit too fast for me and thus slightly overwhelming (I'm old). Still, I'll keep watching and hopefully be able to keep up.

voge420
06-05-2008, 06:20 AM
I really like the frame jump video editing in the intended parts. but i agree that it should be longer sequences to add up to atleast 30 min.

radzack
06-05-2008, 06:26 AM
It was fun.

flyddw
06-05-2008, 06:27 AM
This is interesting - being picked up by Rev3. EpicFu is not a new show - only new to Rev3. To come up to speed, you'd need to download some of the older shows (epicfu.com, itunes, and youtube).

This episode is pretty much what all the episodes are like.

The quick editing is their mainstay. But, if this is your first time seeing any of the Steve (behind camera) and Zadi's work, the "FUNETICS" cut-in are part of secondary "behind-the-scenes" game/puzzle/contest. Probably not a good time to put that into their first Rev3 show without explanations.

Everyone go over to MIX.EPICFU.COM to get the low down.

reoze
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I tried to watch it, and no matter how old this show is I cannot deal with the choppy editing, intended or not.

sugarsickness
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Surprisingly, I loved this episode. Probably find time later to watch a few older ones.

I have no idea why I loved it, all I know is that after I finished it I did. :S

Great addition, and two episodes a week should hopefully be pretty cool.

ezyweb
06-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I really liked the show! I think its a great addition to Rev3.

And no the fast paced editing is really good. I have found that too many shows on Rev3 seem to just ramble on - but with this type of editing its precise and more professional.

travislopes
06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm somewhat mixed on this. I like the content, but the show needs to slow down a little bit so we can absorb the content. Also, are there any other wipes you can use between graphics besides the "left cube" wipe? A little variety would be nice, please.

mrpopular
06-05-2008, 01:40 PM
This Show rocks.. I really like it.. a twice a week format would be great.

ashgotti
06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I like I like. It was very well paced and was polished. I didn't think I'd like it but I did.

Good stuff.

forthekids85
06-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Really like the show.

I'm a big fan of the fast pace and the jump cuts.

This show seems to be what a lot of other shows try to be, but Epic Fu does it better. Host is great. Should turn into a big following on Rev 3.

I'll be doing a little back cataloging to get caught up.

justin316a
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I approve

kronos6948
06-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Not bad. Highly informative for someone in my situation. I don't know if I agree with the idea that music will be free at some point, but that doesn't mean it isn't an idea that I haven't entertained.

I'll definitely be staying tuned.

kilroyperrywinkle
06-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Loved it.

I thought the editing was spot on. Keep it brief, to the point and move on. Its nice to see a show on Rev3 that is so fast paced.

ericsusch
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
This was a triumph
Iím making a note here: huge success
Itís hard to overstate my satisfaction

(You see how I did that? Jonathan Coulton interview... Epic-fu back "on the air." Heh, heh. I'm creative ;-)

PS the cake is a lie!!!

phoenixp3k
06-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd like to say that I think I will really like the show. I really like the presentation. It's punchy in the editing, it makes it feel VERY different from the usual transitions and expositions you see in other Rev3 shows.

It's fast paced and is the right lenght. If they bring it up twice a week. It will be a nice little treat to catch up on music and art.

For some reason, when I saw the episode number 103 I though it was the third episode (like season 1 episode 3) - to my surprise they already have over 100 episodes!

Keep the shows coming you've found yourself a new viewer!

zadi
06-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the support! We're really excited to be part of the Rev3 family and want to make sure that we listen to everything you guys have to say -- good and bad... though, you know, the good is always better for the soul. ;)

Definitely let us know what you'd like to see, what you feel is working and not working -- anything. We're listening!

quence
06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I too have never watched this show before, but I like it, and I'll definitely be tuning in for new episodes. The editing style is a little jarring, but at least it's something different. Gives it a different flavor than other Revision3 shows, and we could always use some variety.

rlitchfield
06-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Where the hell did this come from? Probably one of the best shows I've seen on Revision3. Now there are 4 must watch shows on this network. TRS, Diggnation, Tekzilla, and Epic Fu. (OK...between us...make it 5 with Scam School). Keep up the amazing work!!

RJL

esko
06-05-2008, 10:29 PM
i liked it. never seen it before so it'll take awhile to get used to but i'm hooked for the most part. great job guys!

veronicazilla
06-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes! I love me some Zadi!

Zadi and Steve are some of my favorite people in this crazy internet world, and my IRL friends too. I first met Zadi during Vlog Deathmatch (http://vlogdeathmatch.blogspot.com/2007/03/its-time-to-vote.html)!

Glad to see you on Rev3! Hooray!

nextgenxbox
06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
First, I'd like to say I don't know a damn thing about video editing. Now, keep that in the back of your head for a sec...

Whats up with the whacky editing of the show? It seems like it was all pieced together as if she said a ton of things out of sequence and then all mashed together with a huge ZOOM!

As I said, I don't know a damn thing about video editing. HOWEVER, the fact that I know nothing and even noticed this is a red flag. If a person that knows nothing nor has an interest in editing has a complaint about how it was edited- you should listen.

Other then that, nice work! Welcome to Rev3. :)

That's what I refer to as "MTV editing" ... its quick, flashy in-your-face editing... depending on who you ask, some find it annoying as fuck while others think it's cool.

pacha
06-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Welcome to Revision3, love the show since Jetset.

reoze
06-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Alright I gave it a second shot and this is my opinion.

Pros -
The show and it's content
Charismatic host

Cons -
I still can't get used to the editing
in my opinion too many ads for a 15 minute show.

eastcoast
06-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Today is the first Epic Fu I have seen and I was impressed.

Good information and fun.

Will this show ever be live?

daikun
06-10-2008, 09:47 AM
This show format and this girl are familiar, when I downloaded Miro I saw her on something.

In this show's early days, Epic Fu used to be called Jet Set Show.

Is that what you're thinking of?

kwok_talk
06-10-2008, 01:13 PM
This was my first Epic Fu and I dug it! Like the short & snappy format. Congrats to joining the Rev3 crew!