PDA

View Full Version : Episode 107 Mother Mission - COR: Dark Athena, GTA: CW, iPhone Favorites [Discussion]

talkingorange
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Didn't see a post pop up yet so I'm making my own for my own show... hope that's not bad form or something ;). I'm curious to know what you all think about the iPhone coverage. We were reluctant to do off-screen coverage, but iPhone games are particularly hard to do video of. There are some solutions using jailbroken phones, but with tilt and touch, capturing direct-feed video is actually less-than-optimal.

Also, special thanks to Brad Shoemaker from GiantBomb and Ray Barnholt from 1UP for making their first appearance on CO-OP!

-----------------------
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and GTA: Chinatown Wars. Also, iPhone games! Karma Star, geoDefense, Topple 2, Drop7, Eliss, and Field Runners.

Watch or download this episode now! (http://revision3.com/coop/mission/)

dmcwhatdoesitmean
04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I loved this episode, and even though I don't have an iphone. I think it's something that can't be ignored. Iphone games have some scary price points by the way. Scary as in I would probably spend so much money on those games without realizing it. That's the genius of it though.

Maybe I'm slow.....but now I see a connection between that and the local eateries in the mission district. The benefits of small business producing cheap quality product.

Also, being someone who grew up in the mission district, I really appreciated those segments. The best burrito I ever had was from there.

randomlyrossy
04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Really enjoyed the episode, great to see Ray and Brad on the show, I'm really liking that not being on 1UP is allowing people from all over to appear on the show makes the discussions a bit more interesting.

Personally I don't have an iPhone or an iPod touch, nor to I expect to have one in the near future, so to me the iPhone coverage isn't quite as interesting or useful. However I did enjoy actually getting to SEE some of these games I've heard about on various podcasts and such, nice to have a reference point.

Also liking that the show was a bit longer than usual, I think around 45 mins (sometimes longer) is great for the show.

lonelyspacepanda
04-21-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm glad you guys didn't find that bacon-wrapped hotdog stand. That would mean instant heart attack which would lead to instant death which would mean no more CO-OP--but what do I know? I don't even play a doctor on TV.

That food guide was a cool idea, even if it seemed a bit odd for the show. I guess it further establishes CO-OP isn't bound by any set rules/form, which is a big reason why it's so damn good. Wish you guys did the guide in my city (Austin). $1.50 tacos that look that good are hard to come by.

COR is one of my favorite games and I can't wait to pick it up again in HD, later this year. Although, I don't really agree that the shooting, stealth, or adventuring are as good alone as they are in other games. Take any element by itself in Riddick and it's not so great; it's the combination of all those things that makes the overall package so damn great. It's pacing and variety is superior to even Half-Life 2 (I'm not saying its all around the better game though). I'm a bit disappointed that you guys shit on the multiplayer. I haven't played it but when I heard the initial concept of Riddick with night vision versus a team of soldiers with only flashlights I though that sounded pretty great. Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer wasn't nearly as innovative or in-tune with the single player experience.

Keep it up guys. Any info on how long this season is going to be or are you going to just go non-stop like the other Rev3 shows? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, being that the editing and cinematography are only getting more developed this time around.

az0madman
04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
All that cheap delicious food. You guys have made me hate where I live.

The quality of the footage looked exceptionally great this episode. I don't know why. Maybe it was the color correction or something, but I was loving it.

I'm glad you guys are touching (no pun intended) on iPhone games. Appreciate trying at least, even if it's difficult to capture, which I thought you did great with. I'm on the same boat as you guys. I might not play these games for hours on end, but give me something interesting at a low price point, and I can't help but buy it. But I'm a $.99 guy. $2 is still too rich for my blood.

metallicax13
04-21-2009, 06:34 PM
This episode was awesome. It had an exceptional organic feeling of fun to it. All of the going and getting food made me feel like I was going on an adventure. It also made me super hungry for a hearty meal.

The Chronicles of Riddick talk was very cool. This game is still awesome after 5 years. The atmosphere it creates is what really makes it stand out to me.

I don't have an iphone(yet) but those segments made wish I had one. I'm missing out on all the disposable fun. I think the iphone segments came out very well.

Again this episode had the an awesome organic touch I hope continues.

suurge
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Great episode. I thought the search for good cheap food bits were great. I'm not familiar at all with San Fransisco besides pictures or videos, but the areas of the city shown here look like a place I'd want to live. I really need to go to San Fran sometime. Anyway, keep up the awesome job guys I'm really loving the show more and more every week.

peve
04-21-2009, 09:18 PM
This episode made me so hungry and China Wars looks very interesting. The artwork looks really nice.

sanfranpsycho
04-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Awesome Episode. Whenever I take BART to work, I get off either at the 16th and Mission or 24th and Mission station and either walk or take a shuttle to work (San Francisco General). And I swear, I have to get something new every time. But my favorite food would have to be the burritos at El Farolito. I mean, there's a bunch of places there to get a burrito, but this place always has long lines. And I see the same group of SFPD officers eating there. If you haven't tried it yet, GO NOW!

thing2
04-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Great show, I don't have an iPhone but as a gamer it's always cool to see new ideas and executions regardless of the medium.
Also, love the creative ads - actually makes me sit through and watch the ad scenes as they're entertaining. I'm gonna have to register a domain name or something in support, cause I already have the other services :)

Great episode - keep up the goodness!

talkingorange
04-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, we're definitely looking forward to doing more iPhone stuff! This "experiment" seems to have been a success!

I'm glad we're able to keep the ads entertaining. It's part of what makes our show valuable to sponsors and the more valuable the show is the more likely it is that we can get to the point where it's sustainable and we can keep making it!

baldmonkey
04-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Great episode as usual. I really liked the iPhone/iPod bits. Immediately after watching the episode on my iPod I turned the wifi on and bought Karmastar and Eliss.

darknessgp
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
loved the iPhone segments. I checked out most of the games. Geodefense is really hard

talkingorange
04-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Geodefense is really hard

So is Eliss :) ... never say the iPhone can't challenge ya!

radzack
04-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Absolutely loved this episode. So glad to have to Co-op onboard.

mediaright
04-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Taco...looks...sooooo...good...wait, what?, oh, great episode guys. Try to cut to the games just a tad earlier (the narrative post-opening segment dragged on just one minute too long, better to move that later). Amazing show as always. Keep 'er up. *drools over to pantry*

mediaright
04-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Also, may I add that you guys are approaching this in exactly the right way. I knew it'd be hard for you guys to find a "playground" without the 1UP offices, and Ryan's house is only so exciting for so many episodes. But SF is a pretty special and crazy place to us who don't live there, so showing us around and having the narrative take place throughout the city is a really great approach (but try to find some new locations...the roof is getting a bit stale for discussions unless you decide to shoot it differently).

alanblack13
04-23-2009, 07:54 AM
You six gents are doing superior work . . . and so damn quickly after the end of 1UP. The episodes have been fantastic and fill a definite need. And the show has quickly established a feel unlike any before: informed and casual, personable but not mugging: perfect. And bringing the personality of S.F. into the mix doesn't hurt any either.

I own an old PS2, thinking about buying a PS3. I have an iPhone. I am not an avid gamer. I listened to and watched 1UP for the personalities. You six have me hooked even more -- plus you have me thinking about games more than ever before (both as entertainment and, dare I say, philosophically). And by the way, the iPhone coverage worked perfectly well for me.

Cheers to all of you. Well done, indeed. Put six tacos on my tab. :)

thoeft
04-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I really appreciate the iPhone game reviews. There's so much junk out there, that it's tiring to wade through it all to find the good stuff. i've been playing Karmastar nonstop since I've watched this episode!

magregerschaffer
04-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Good episode as usual. I absolutely love GTA Chinatown wars for my DS! I missed out on Riddick the first time around except for the demo, this episode really makes me want to play it now. oh yeah, the Spaurespace ad was hilarious

dolson
04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm curious to know what you all think about the iPhone coverage. We were reluctant to do off-screen coverage, but iPhone games are particularly hard to do video of.

IMHO: Just do what you guys want to do. I think nobody in their right mind will complain about something like this, so don't worry too much about it.

I'm not trying to kiss ass - (what would be the point?) - I just really love the show, and I don't really care about the little things. I don't even own an iPhone (or a cellphone of any kind), but I loved the segment anyhow. It didn't even occur to me that there was no direct video of the games.

I just want to watch the show you guys want to make. My only complaint is that it's over too quickly, but I am still trying to learn how to not be greedy. ;)

idounix
04-25-2009, 12:36 AM
great ep , prolly the best rev3 show atm.

misterzero
04-25-2009, 01:40 AM
I love this show. I love the camera work, the style of discussion, and the overall look of the episodes. Keep up the great work. Even though I just go caught up on the shows, I feel it is one of my top choices of shows offered from Revision3. I love the chemistry between the hosts. Thinking on it now, this is my favorite show, and that is hard for me to say. I like Tekzilla, Systm, and of course Diggnation. I just feel like I am in a group of friends talking about games and stuff.

vidkid7
04-25-2009, 02:16 AM
I watch this show for the games, but I stick around for the interaction between the team and the brief insights into SFBay culture. Although all of this talk of bacon wrapped hotdogs, cheap REAL tacos, and other tasty treats only makes me further regret that I'm surrounded by mostly pre-packaged food culture.

One more great reason to work on getting to SFBay, I suppose.

gta_bmx
04-25-2009, 03:15 AM
Great episode. Makes me miss the SF bay area area. I was born and raised in the South Bay/Silicon Valley. You even had footage of the BART subway system! I love the interaction of y'all eating out and grabbing Mexican or Indian food and beers or whatever.

capo327
04-25-2009, 09:21 AM
What kind of paletas did you guys get? It looked like they were Arco Iris, but I thought they were native to Chicago.

billyhotdog
04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I liked the cheep eats segments on this Co-Op. I know you are located in the SF. You have any contacts in Seattle that might be able to hook a first time collage student up on where to go for good food on the down low. Thanks and keep up the Co-op. Its way better than tv its the inter tubes. Rock on.