PDA

View Full Version : Fondest Childhood Memories...

klitzy
06-10-2009, 08:28 AM
So after reading a few depressing posts on this board, I thought I would try and lighten the mood with a happy thread for us to reminisce about good times of the past in our own lives. As everyone may or may not know...I am a younger member of the forum (only 18) and recently, as I finished my first year of college, I began to feel a sense of sadness that I had grown up. Gone were the days of playing in the park or on the playground, the days of asking your parents for money, the days of joblessness, the days of cute, of innocence, and of childhood and this made me a little sad. I began to ask myself where all of this time went. And yes I know what everyone is thinking. "Ha! You're only 18! Wait until you get to x age." But still, it seems like yesterday that I was sitting on Santa's lap in the mall asking for a new toy for Christmas. So as I became nostalgic of these days....I thought I would make a comment on the board for everyone to post one of their fondest childhood memories.

This gets a little personal but for me...my fondest childhood memory is very simple but at the same time...very meaningful. My dad was a big tv/movie junkie and when I was younger, our time together was laying on the couch together...watching tv/movie at night. And yes I know that alot of father/son relationships consist of tv/movie watching but this was more than just watching the television. It was a meaningful bonding time. First, I gained a lot of respect for a number of films and acquired a love for films. But I bonded with my dad. When I was really really young...I remember how I would put my head on him and fall asleep. I know...cute right? :-D Hehe.

So what are your fondest childhood memories? Do tell.

guytheninja
06-10-2009, 06:02 PM
When I was in either late elementary school or the beginning of middle school. My class went on a field trip to the Space Center in Huntsville, AL. We stayed in the dorms there. All I remember is that it had bunk beds and the restroom was called "waste management" (those guys must have had a strange sense of humor.
http://www.spacecamp.com/museum/

During the day we had an easter egg sheet. We had to go around and look at various museum displays and pieces for the answers. I remember it being rather stressful because it was graded. Also, we couldn't copy answers because the teachers were keeping a close hawk-eye on us at all times :D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vIR5XIrPs
Also, one of the teachers got in the Human Gyroscope. I thought that was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time. :D

masterwabbit
06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
I remember heading off to Disney World when I was around 8 years old. At that time, they were announcing the opening of the GM Test Track ride and the Animal Kingdom didn't exist yet (shows how old I am...). That place was amazing as a kid, got to bond with the parents and my sister, and, quite honestly, I want to go back there just to see all the stuff that's new or what little kids can't appreciate. Ah, good times...good times...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go yell at the brats on my lawn ;)

tokenuser
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
My father and I have never been particularly close, but one of the memories from my childhood was being asked if I wanted to go on the annual "men only" fishing/camping trip.

I'd have been in my early teens, but as a getting together of the men in the family (grandfather, great uncles, uncle, etc) for a week long trip to the middle of nowhere it was special just being asked ... and it was a lot of fun.

My grandfather passed away 6 or so years ago, and when I picture him it is always around the campfire - with his pot of billy tea nearby, and the stupid hat he always wore fishing :)

a_r_h
06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
When I was 11 or so, I was playing golf with my dad and I tripped and fell into a cactus.

I vividly remember my mom giving me 1/2 shots of Schnaps throughout my adolescence to remedy sinus congestion.

My parents are awesome.

dan1
06-10-2009, 07:29 PM
When I was in elementary school I went to a science museum somewhere in or near the Bay Area but I can't remember what it's called. Anywho, it had a dark tunnel I had t crawl through and a weird room with slanted ceiling and floor and it got smaller. It was cool. I also remember giant insect sculptures. Help me out if you know the proper name for it or a website would be cool.

quantumblink
06-10-2009, 08:49 PM
My father and I don't get along to this day. Even though my parents were never divorced and my father didn't drink, he still chose not to take much of a part in my life. Money was his obsession.

However, one of my fondest memories is of him taking me to the park and teaching me how to play baseball and really spending quality time playing catch with me and teaching me how to hit.

That stopped around the time I was 8, I guess he figured I had learned everything in life there was to learn by then. :rolleyes:

hellhound
06-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I'd say 90% of my early years sucked... but one of the things I remember that was fun....
I helped my buddy w/ his paper route in elementary school.. so we had 2 or 3 dollars a day and we'd walk to school (school was about a mile away) an hour early and go to the 7-11 and play their video and pinball games until we had 5 minutes to get to class (the 7-11 was 1/2 way so many a day if got far in Gauntlet , Missle Command, Track & Feild, Excite Bike, or racked up extra balls or credits in pinball (I was GREAT at pinball)... We'd have to "full tilt" run to get to school. The crossing guard even reported us to the school because her lazy ass wanted to leave but it would be 2 minutes til the bell and we'd come running... not that we needed her.... plz.... we were also sports nuts (played football, Basketball, tennis, and we even made our own version of stickball we could play with 4 people... no need for a X-ing guard.. we played Frogger enuff to avoid cars.
The next thing that I remember was fun.... in the summer when the school was closed... it had 2 tennis courts... we'd go and play tennis (maybe 11 or 12 years old, borrowing raquets from friends and older bro's/sis's.. after plaing 4 or 5 sets we'd go 1 block down and sneak into the movie theater for their air conditioning to cool off from 90+ august heat and sports..
Ahh... wish I could block out the 90% shit memories and only remember those halcion days of youth

edit: anyone remember a vid game where it was like.... uhhjh... 2 knights wearing armor.. and U'D strike high mid low etc and knock off a piece of armor.. then the next strike to that area would cripple/cause blood/ earn points? anyone remember the name of it?

ariastar
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Gone were the days of playing in the park or on the playground, the days of asking your parents for money, the days of joblessness, the days of cute, of innocence, and of childhood and this made me a little sad.

Just wait until you're 28. :) You still have a few years yet before you've got to take on full adult-world responsibilities, and then it begins to suck. Ugh.

ariastar
06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
May parents were the popular parents in the neighborhood (also the youngest - I was born when they were 19 and 21), and as such, they would often host little carnivals with games and snacks for the neighborhood kids. This was awesome.

My dad coached baseball and played baseball and softball himself. So lots of sports stuff. By the age of 9, I had seen and helped treat so many injuries that I got to be the first-aid girl, and the parents trusted me. I was so proud.

Staying out until 2am with friends on hot, sticky summer nights. Back when it was safe to do that at 8 years old.

Summers spent at my grandparents' house, waking up early and going outside and listening to the country sounds and wading in the shallow end of the pool until breakfast was ready.

HUGE family holidays.

Aside from being bullied, life was as ideal as it could be until I was 12 and got so sick. I wish I could go back to being 11.

rabidbadger
06-11-2009, 01:50 AM
What a great thread, Klitzy. Love how so many are about young geekhood, movies, videogames, space camp, haha.

Well, I'm an old fart and none of that geek stuff existed, so we went savage. The other direction, haha..

I lived on a housebout outside of a big "reserve" (protected wild land, with aboriginal cave paintings, etc) on Sydney harbor bay. There was a clearing in the woods that none of our parents new about. There was a cliff there, and huge trees. At some point someone put a huge rope that we swung off screaming Tarzan sounds. (Tarzan was a big tv show then). Then, later, we would get on the rowboats, and scoop up jellyfish, and have jellyfish wars, throwing them at each other. I loved living on that boat, watching the Sydney Opera House get built just this side of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, with the constant smile of the Luna Park Clown Entrance (an amusement park) laughing at us the whole time.

Luna Park:

http://www.dawsons.com.au/VenueEd41/Images/p003051b.jpg

guytheninja
06-11-2009, 03:10 AM
I loved living on that boat, watching the Sydney Opera House get built just this side of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, with the constant smile of the Luna Park Clown Entrance (an amusement park) laughing at us the whole time.

Ahh, ye olde amusement park! How I love thee, let me count the ways. :D

When I was a kid, I went to the Opryland USA theme park in Nashville. I probably went there at least 10 or so times --- I really can't remember how many times I visited that park.

I think this video about sums it up (although, I never saw any country music singers in the park).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsV7CxQvQ3g

Unfortunately though, in 1997, the park was demolished and replaced with a --- wait for it, wait for it --- a freaking mall!!!!! Talk about outrage!!! :mad:

However, I did find something interesting on wikipedia.

The park's closing was not widely publicized outside of Middle Tennessee and interstate signs directing drivers to Opryland remain unchanged, as "Opryland" is the area which contains the Grand Ole Opry and Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center. However, due to the common usage of the word "Opryland" to refer to the themepark itself, tourists have continued to show up looking for the Opryland Themepark, only to find it closed. As of 2008, road signs still direct motorists to "Opryland" from all three interstates.
src: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opryland_USA

gta_bmx
06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
In the 1970's/80's, my older brother, dad, and I would load up our camping gear and our Honda 70 minibike into my dad's Dodge pickup truck and go camping in the wilds of Northern California. Once my brother and I were chased by a mean bull. We barely escaped, on our Honda, me hanging off the back. We'd go into town for breakfast each morning -- pancakes, eggs, bacon at a mom and pop type diner, the kind they used to have.

rabidbadger
06-13-2009, 12:26 AM
keep posting folks, this thread makes me happy. I miss my dad. Dad memories are good.