PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Rose should start a TV network - TechTV2

gen-x
01-20-2007, 07:08 PM
hey guys, im not sure if i drempt this or if its really happening, but i remember somewhere that kevin is starting a tv network?
If that is just my imagination, he definetly should, i was watching a screensavers clip today and it made me realize, omfg AOTS sucks my balls. So common Kevin, lets see ya do this one!

magunwarrior
01-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Well by that he meant Revision3, he wants to deliver quality programming any time at any place.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6976011833874636133 heres proof.

gen-x
01-20-2007, 07:38 PM
well im saying, he should think about bringing back the old techtv.
with shows like
Screensavers, Call for Help, Invent This, Diggnation ON TV, i guarentee he could pull that off, and im sure that any one who used to watch TechTV + hates G4, would watch.

magunwarrior
01-20-2007, 07:44 PM
But now what's the point, they all have their own podcasts that follow the same format without commercials, no FCC cracking down on language. Everyone that is an old school TSS knows about TWiT, DL.TV, and Rev3, and if they don't they should.

kowgod
01-20-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't think any of these guys should go back on television.

I get the impression a lot of people here look to podcasts from Rev3, TWiT, DL.TV, etc as a replacement for TechTV.

I look to podcasts, on the whole, as a replacement for all of TV.

masherscf
01-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Sure, They've all done the TV thing. To be honest, I'm not sure that a full-blown TV channel featuring tech would be such a great idea. I mean, you could slowly build a collection of independently produced programming delivered over the reasonable unfettered internet or set up a TV channel with the required overhead and hemorrhage cash for a few years until you get enough viewers to break even.

I miss Tech TV as much as the next guy. It's over.

The trick is NOT to create a traditional TV channel. The trick is to recreate the Tech TV experience without having to come in through the TV cable. Once "one-click" systems for delivering video content from the web to the TV are in general use, Revision 3 will be perfectly poised to take advantage.

Right now, I use Democracy as a back end to deliver video podcasts and such to my computer. Through Microsoft Media Connect, I can access these video through my XBOX 360. It's a slick set-up and requires almost no maintainance. The only disadvantage is the content providers need to release in large (at least 360P) WMV format. Some of those snobby iPod centric people don't. However, a single device to handle this task is probably only months away.

ryudo
01-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I would love to see a Tech TV with all the old faces back but it just can't happen and iptv is growing and growing fast and the future ...so while we may have to hop around from rev 3 to dl.tv twit and maybe one day Undo.tv for now it's not too far off the networks themselves start making shows just online.

Sitback have some patience and watch the future grow.

bman
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
it would be nice, but just wouldn't happen, or at least not the same name, and idea of the first. It would probably evolve from REV3, there is no other way.

magunwarrior
01-21-2007, 12:35 AM
IPTV is the wave of the future, and when it's big and everyone uses it, I can sit back and be happy with the fact that I was there from the beginning.

ryudo
01-21-2007, 12:56 AM
IPTV is the wave of the future, and when it's big and everyone uses it, I can sit back and be happy with the fact that I was there from the beginning.
Quoted for truth.

lupin
01-21-2007, 07:13 AM
But now what's the point, they all have their own podcasts that follow the same format without commercials, no FCC cracking down on language. Everyone that is an old school TSS knows about TWiT, DL.TV, and Rev3, and if they don't they should.

FCC doesnt moderate anything besides over the air broadcast IE your NBCs your ABCs, broadcast networks. Anything that is cable only is moderated by the networks own Standards and Practices. These are the people who watch all the content that airs on the network and decide if it will cause advertisers to pull funding from the network. Im sure to some small degree even Rev3 has this. It would be reckless to not.

masherscf
01-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Yes, the FCC is complaint driven. Unless someone complains, the FCC can't get involved.

gen-x
01-21-2007, 04:06 PM
you guys have great points, but going now with the internet only verson im renaming the topic of this discussion to.....

REV3 SHOULD HAVE A SCREENSAVERS (maybe call for help?)

I mean, you guys have to miss screensavers enough that we coudl bring it back. Even if its not an everyday thing, Alex and Kevin right before the fall of TechTV were perfect. What do you guys think about that?

bman
01-21-2007, 04:24 PM
i think that would be one great thing, duh.

ch28-kid
01-21-2007, 05:49 PM
I think they should bring the guys from dl.tv to Revision3. DL.TV is doing a great job but it would be nice to have a technology program on Revision3 and I think DL.TV is one of the great Video PodCast online.

The only time I watch G4TechTv Canada is when Call for Help is on because Leo is the only similar faces I see from Tech TV. I try to get myself to enjoy Attack of the Show but the more I watch it, the more I hate it.

If Rev3 could start a tech show similar to TSS with news, techie stuff, great programs for windows and os x and maybe some hardware related segment that would be great.

gen-x
01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
sweeet glad others agree

So common Kevin and Alex, make it happen!!!

magunwarrior
01-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I would love that more then anything. I miss The Screen Savers sooo much.

darklighter
01-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I would also like to see some of these shows go to traditional TV only because of the fan community. With shows like Call for Help, you have callers, tons of 'em who call in to the show with questions etc. It gives you a real sense that you're a part of something. I feel more isolated watching these shows on my little iPod screen or whatever. Does that make sense? Can anyone relate?

capo327
01-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I understand that because I also feel the same way. It feels less like an actual show if there are only two guys basically talking to each other and to you, the viewer. At least that's how I feel.

munkeepants
01-24-2007, 05:08 AM
We watch the show through the TV, so, while it still feels budget, it feels like a real show. It's already better than half the cheesy shows produced at our local stations and on a lot of the cable stations. And they have big budgets, staffs, studios, and decades of experience.

It might be a real simple concept, but it seems to get smoother every show. As for 'being alone,' I dunno, I saw a guy walking down the street in a Diggnation shirt when they were still only at episode 20. And that crowd at Macworld: holy smokes!

try to get myself to enjoy Attack of the Show but the more I watch it, the more I hate it.

The other day (Either Tues the 16th or Wed the 17th) they played a youtube clip of a teenage girl screaming at her sister. When they came back from the clip, the male host said "and people wonder why men hit women."

Do I even have to go into how wrong that is? I mean, I'm a freak. I like edgy humour, I like Sargent, I liked Kinison, but Geez Laweeze.....

Anywho, sorry to start off with a diss. My axe is now ground.

Anywho, good work, good shows. Thanks for Webdrifter, too!

starscream80
01-24-2007, 06:40 AM
I dearly miss TSS!!!!!

psbp516
01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Kevin and leo were talking about bringing it back online a couple of months ago on net@night. That's the real way to go. As long as it happens. I really want to see everyone get back together. It just doesn't as feel like it's as much of a family anymore. I still would want podcast like diggnation and twit, but also a tss show with everyone maybe 3-4 nights a week. That would be amazing.