PDA

View Full Version : Episode 10: CES 2007 Part 1 of 2

chuckles
01-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Yay!! Episode 10 is out!! Happy happy joy joy. Too bad I didn't win!! Happy happy joy joy to the lucky 3 that did!!

-chuckles-

klitzy
01-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Yay!! Episode 10 is out!! Happy happy joy joy. Too bad I didn't win!! Happy happy joy joy to the lucky 3 that did!!

-chuckles-

Just wondering chuckles....Who are you?

darklighter
01-21-2007, 04:48 PM
You guys are FANTASTIC! This show is so polished and you guys are great hosts! Thanks for the coverage of CES and Macworld!

masherscf
01-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I just spent a suburb 40 minutes watching InDigital 10 on my Samsung 42 inch DLP projection TV streamed through my XBOX 360.

Honestly, it was a great show. It was funny and moved fast. Thanks.

I can't wait to see part 2.

rowlodge
01-21-2007, 06:08 PM
i cant believe it...seems like more.

show is freaking good though. it seems jessica has had like one basic class in computers but gets these fabulous jobs all the time, not saying she is'nt entertaining, she's perfect for it.

masherscf
01-21-2007, 06:11 PM
i cant believe it...seems like more.

show is freaking good though. it seems jessica has had like one basic class in computers but gets these fabulous jobs all the time, not saying she is'nt entertaining, she's perfect for it.

I think Jessica knows enough about Tech to report on it. She knows more than she lets on anyway. I think most of the claims of ignorance is just charming self-effacement.

standalonematt
01-21-2007, 08:15 PM
So is Revision3 bleeping profanity now? Sad.

tokenuser
01-21-2007, 08:19 PM
So is Revision3 bleeping profanity now? Sad.Rev3 NEEDS to bleep profanity to avoid the Explicit tag in iTunes. Blame Apple, not Rev3.

masherscf
01-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Rev3 NEEDS to bleep profanity to avoid the Explicit tag in iTunes. Blame Apple, not Rev3.

Wil has a potty mouth. I think he's cleaver enough to get his point across without using the f-word. Maybe I'm wrong...

magunwarrior
01-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Wil just needs to stop cursing and give no reason for anybody to ***** about censorship.

darklighter
01-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Well, there are some shows where you expect some profanity... Cribs, Real World, SouthPark... I don't want to say I *never* want to hear it on InDigital, I just prefer that there be a minimal amount if they do. Anyway, I don't feel too strongly either way.

On another note, I was thinking what a good idea it is to have all those network storage devices out there. But wouldn't it be cool to come up with a new spec for indexing and managing media on these devices? An easier way to think of it would be if you could just copy any kind of media file to the network drive, not having to worry about what folder to put it in, or organizing any of it, then the drive indexes everything so that, whenever you access it, you see Movies, Music, Games, Pictures etc. as categories and all your content is neatly organized automatically. I think people would adopt network storage more that way and it would be cheaper than having a full blown home media server. JM2C

p_frank
01-22-2007, 02:55 AM
I thought Wil's cursing was hilarious. It was bleeped, who cares.

It seems like InDigital is really hitting its stride now, the first few episodes were a bit sketchy to me, but it's coming off really professional now. The audio in the studio (I think they were on location this week though?) is always a little rough though, a few pops and clicks, and a bit on the high end. Honestly I find the audio on Diggnation, which isnt exactly the most professional product, to be better. Just a tiny complaint that doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the show that much.

haanzz
01-22-2007, 03:35 AM
I thought Wil's cursing was hilarious. It was bleeped, who cares.

It seems like InDigital is really hitting its stride now, the first few episodes were a bit sketchy to me, but it's coming off really professional now. The audio in the studio (I think they were on location this week though?) is always a little rough though, a few pops and clicks, and a bit on the high end. Honestly I find the audio on Diggnation, which isnt exactly the most professional product, to be better. Just a tiny complaint that doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the show that much.

The bleeping thing was my decision because I noticed I got more complaints by leaving it. I'd like everybody to watch the show for the content and not turn away viewers for a few four letter worlds. I figured this is the best blend...besides it's pretty obvious what was said.

As for the audio...yeah...I agree. I really notice the difference between the on-camera and voice overs. My editor does what he can in edit, but to really level it out we'd have to run it through something like Pro Tools and budget/schedule doesn't allow for that right now. Maybe I can learn to do it myself?

Hahn

ryudo
01-22-2007, 04:39 AM
Indigital has the spirit of Tech TV and I love it and a consumer products review show I also love at the same time it's become it's own thing..best show on Rev 3.

I won't get critical on Indigital for it's release dates..not like they have the whole huge teams of people they had at Tech TV to make a show and had companies sending out gear to review on a constant basis..I am betting Hahn has to work a bit harder for that ..plus the wait is always worth it..thanks Hahn!

standalonematt
01-22-2007, 06:07 AM
I figured it was a sponser thing or complaints. The bleeping does bug me - it sounds like were to be treated like children. I don't think the swearing was necessary, but in my opinion - the bleeping was condesending and made it worse.

I understand the complaints though - I know this is a pipe dream, but the few people who complain only do so beucase they know its effective (the squeeky wheel gets the oil) and the thousands and thousands of others who have no problem won't complain.

Its just words, and hearing them won't turn kids into foul-mouths. Trying to make these words off-limits and trying to limit people from hearing them is what makes them so attractive to use to not only kids, but people in general.

I know its your show and I am grateful for it and enjoy it - but I just wanted to express my opinion so the only response you heard wasn't the few ultra-puritanical ones who feel that all media should cater to their particular sensibilities. The more you try to restrict "bad" words, the more bad words will be used.

Plus, I felt a bit sorry for Wil. I think the guy does a good job and I know I wouldn't be happy censored. He might not have a issue with it, but I know how I would feel.

rebelace
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Did it seem to anyone else like Jack from Dolby had drank like 100 cups of coffee?

masherscf
01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
T
As for the audio...yeah...I agree. I really notice the difference between the on-camera and voice overs. My editor does what he can in edit, but to really level it out we'd have to run it through something like Pro Tools and budget/schedule doesn't allow for that right now. Maybe I can learn to do it myself?

Hahn

Other than doing ADR and dubbing over the on camera dialogue, I'm not sure what you can do. I think this would rob the reports of a kind of immediate authenticity.

One of the thing I liked most about episode 10 was the amount of raw excitement that you guys projected over being in the trenches at CES. I'm not sure this could be retouched in post. You were probably sick of it by the end...

donaar
01-22-2007, 07:46 PM
might want to try normalizaiton on you audio I had to keep turing it up or down to be able to hear.

masherscf
01-22-2007, 07:49 PM
might want to try normalizaiton on you audio I had to keep turing it up or down to be able to hear.

There's probably some Dolby product that can help...

casework
01-23-2007, 05:26 AM
I figured it was a sponser thing or complaints. The bleeping does bug me - it sounds like were to be treated like children. I don't think the swearing was necessary, but in my opinion - the bleeping was condesending and made it worse.

I understand the complaints though - I know this is a pipe dream, but the few people who complain only do so beucase they know its effective (the squeeky wheel gets the oil) and the thousands and thousands of others who have no problem won't complain.

Its just words, and hearing them won't turn kids into foul-mouths. Trying to make these words off-limits and trying to limit people from hearing them is what makes them so attractive to use to not only kids, but people in general.

I know its your show and I am grateful for it and enjoy it - but I just wanted to express my opinion so the only response you heard wasn't the few ultra-puritanical ones who feel that all media should cater to their particular sensibilities. The more you try to restrict "bad" words, the more bad words will be used.

Plus, I felt a bit sorry for Wil. I think the guy does a good job and I know I wouldn't be happy censored. He might not have a issue with it, but I know how I would feel.
Great post.

And, great episode. I can't believe there is an entire additional part to it. There was so much GOOD information in this episode, I can't imagine what there is left to talk about. Also, I loved seeing Kevin do some coverage of Macworld. I know schedules don't always permit this type of thing, but PLEASE get people like Kevin, Alex, Patrick and Robert on the show as often as possible. I love hearing what you guys have to say, but seeing the participation of these guys just makes my day. I don't think it's any coincidence that some of the best episodes of InDigital are ones that include appearances and segments by these guys.

fenris
01-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Hahn

I watch the Xvid version all the time and my biggest problem is the audio timing is off. This last episode was the first one that the timing was perfect through the entire episode.

On another note, would it be possible to start putting up links to the various products that are on the show? In the case of this last episode there were so many products that I was curious about it would be fantastic to be able to look at the details via the web.

Great show and looking forward to future episodes.

masherscf
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
I watch the Xvid version all the time and my biggest problem is the audio timing is off.

That might be a problem with your codec version.

fenris
01-26-2007, 03:10 AM
That might be a problem with your codec version.

It's not just on my computer but also on two seperate media players that I have. The last episode audio timing was perfect.

masherscf
01-26-2007, 12:30 PM
It's not just on my computer but also on two seperate media players that I have. The last episode audio timing was perfect.

Hmm, I'll have to check that out. In any case, you should make sure you're using the latest XVID (not Divx) codec in all your devices.

gevmage
02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Jessica:
the molded headphones; that's probably about par for a new product
; like that. Nicer aviation (pilot's) headsets go for $500 a set.
The price for the ones you saw will probably drop if people start
really buying them.

Wil:
"Envy" laptop. Wow. I guess this is the successor to the Alienware
gaming laptops that I've seen. Oy. I'm sure I need one for
work...yeah.

I think your first host segment wrapping up your first look at things
is your best work yet in iD. You're clearly having fun and talking
about stuff that you really like, and really engaging with your
co-hosts.

Centrifugal force: Bad Wil!

Hahn:
The HP TV with the built-in media playing widgets was pretty cool.
That's probably where things will be going in the future. As
companies learn over and over again, it's not the hardware that's
impressive, it's the user interface.

The visor display: I take it it's not 3D? It just shows the same view
to each eye, or half of the view to each eye, or what?

The vaio media center is very slick. Again; please define "ATSC" for
those who don't know what it is.

All three; the bit where you're teasing Hahn about the TV size thing:
this is the best host interaction segment that I've seen on the show
yet. You're starting to develop a real friendship and chemistry on
the show. The show has been fun to watch so far for the content, and
for the hosts individually, but now it's starting to be interesting
for the host's interaction specifically.

Home theater segment:

The sling box thing looks cool. I guess I'm behind on this
technology; I'm not sure what it does. It plays movies from my
computer on my TV?

Audio segment:

The super-high-end speakers are interesting.

The super-amp with the tubes: are the tubes functional, or are they
just window dressing on the amp? What's the reliability like?

Exercize segment:

Very weird, to have that sort of stuff at an electronics show. It
would have been morbidly interesting to find out what the prices on
some of that stuff was.

Home theater contest:

It's neat that the contest worked out so well, and so closely.

I can't wait to watch the next segment!

gevmage
02-27-2007, 01:35 PM
It sounds like Hahn has already chimed in on this, but here's another perspective:

I know at least one reader on Wil's blog complained about him f-bombing in an early episode that he was a part of. The writer was watching with his young kid and was annoyed about it.

I'm not saying that the show should cater to a small minority...but I think it's important to think about target audience. If any show wants to build a following, then you want to now alienate big chunks of the viewing audience.

What I'm saying is, you pick your battles, and I think that Hahn has the very sensible position of not wanting to fight that one.