PDA

View Full Version : Episode 15: Tuna Ramen [Discussion]

jackierulesall
07-29-2010, 04:44 PM
This week we have a delicious and healthy tuna ramen that is super healthy and packed full of flavor. You could just as easily replace the fish with chicken, pork or beef. The best part about this dish is that it can be ready from start to finish in less that 20 minutes.

Watch or download now! (http://revision3.com/foodmob/tunaramen)

swishtastic
07-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Loved the ethnic flair in this one.
This recipe has all the things I like: creates few dirty dishes, versatile ingredients, and fast.
However, it'd be nice to be able to let my kids watch, too. But the language is just too strong.

I'd like to see you do Sushi: traditional and modern styles.

murphy1d
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I was thinking the opposite about the language. It is actually how I would talk with my friends in the kitchen when we would make food (most of my friends are from when we worked restaurants). So the banter is what I love about the show. I feel bad that the kids will miss out, but maybe cooking the actual dishes is where they can learn.

xfuuey
07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
But the language is just too strong..

..which is why i like iptv, uncensored ;)

masherscf
07-29-2010, 06:09 PM
However, it'd be nice to be able to let my kids watch, too. But the language is just too strong.

How old are your kids? My six-year old daughter recently chastised me for using "bad words."

BTW, the Tuna looked plenty tasty. Unlike Aaron ,who turned his nose up at the fish, the is the first time I've actually wanted to eat raman. I already know how to make sushi, but I'll put both thumbs way up for more Asian inspired foods.

ronaldo
07-29-2010, 08:52 PM
It is funny how certain words are considered bad language. It would be nice if as a society we would stop the bad language silliness. No one even knows who decided which words were bad but we all blindly follow the "rules".

computoman
07-29-2010, 09:51 PM
The words themselves may not be bad, but it is a matter of respect and thoughtful communication as to how you use language .Jihad is not a bad word, but you do not go into a synagogue and yell"Jihad!!!!" It does disappoint me that so many people can be verbally challenged..Norm Crosby to me one of the funniest comedians had some of the raunchiest jokes, but never had to use an expletive. Real classy.Dictionaries are a wonderful place to visit once in a while. Expletives are non-descriptive and waste my time.

ronaldo
07-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Of course there are scenarios in which improper language can cause harm. It doesn't even have to be jihad it could be shouting fire in a theatre.

The thing is all we have to do is all decide *not* to be offended and suddenly these ridiculous language rules go away. Saying 'f.uck' doesn't hurt anyone. It is just a word. If you choose to be offended you are giving that word power over you. In my mind it is a stupid way of segregation. Because a person uses this word he is suddenly less classy than people who don't. Really? We fight for civil rights yet leave an archaic class system in place? How can that be right?

Even worse... I can say that I want to murder someone on tv and it will pass as ok for many audiences. Murder. End someone's life. Deprive a family of one of its members. A horrible horrible crime. But 'f.uck' is only okay for adults. Many audiences can hear about and witness a murder but the worst thing ever is for them to hear a 4 letter word.

I used to be all uptight over language. Then I realized all I was doing is following some arbitrary rules that make no sense really.

Polite conversation is important. But we have lost sight of what polite is. Polite means not being rude. It is rude for a person to discuss a colonoscopy at the dinner table. I'd rather someone get burned and say 'f.uck' than hear talk about medical procedures that involve sticking cameras into a person's rectum while I am trying to eat. (I had this happen recently so that is why it is an example). There were no 4 letter words used but I still had to tell the person I wanted the discussion to end.

masherscf
07-30-2010, 12:42 AM
It's what you say, not how you say it.

1337pino
07-30-2010, 11:53 PM
With the tuna, do you think it would be alright to skip the searing and just add the pieces to the completed ramen (as he did after the searing in order to absorb some of the flavors)? Searing and placing the tuna on the ramen seemed to overcook the tuna more that I would have prefer (I really love sushi/sashimi). I realize that if it were pork or chicken (etc.), you would want to thoroughly cook the meat, but I'm just curious as to how far anyone here would go to keep it uncooked.

Also, if you do keep it uncooked, would you season it any differently?

aarong
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
All I know is that it was fuckin awesome

tokenuser
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Americans as a whole are overly sensitive to language.

Fuck, shit, and wanker do not carry the social stigma of cussing in many parts of the world anywhere near as much as they do in the US. Americans put too much focus on the literal meanings, and ignore the context.

Is saying freak or shyte any better when the conveyed meaning in context is the same??

Instant ramen noodles by themselves are evil ... But as an ingredient are actually pretty good.

ronaldo
08-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Americans as a whole are overly sensitive to language.

Fuck, shit, and wanker do not carry the social stigma of cussing in many parts of the world anywhere near as much as they do in the US. Americans put too much focus on the literal meanings, and ignore the context.

Is saying freak or shyte any better when the conveyed meaning in context is the same??

Instant ramen noodles by themselves are evil ... But as an ingredient are actually pretty good.

We are a funny bunch. A mother with throw herself on a child as though a grenade were going off to protect him from hearing the word fuck but will discuss her period with her girlfriends right in front of him. I know if the child started using that language the parents would be brought in for conferences so fast heads would spin but at some point we have to find a way to end the madness.

Rather you say shit or I am going to do a number 2 if the listener lets their mind go there the results are the same. Of course we teach to say nothing at all or that you have to use the restroom as there is no reason to elaborate unless a young child needs assistance.

If you bang your toe and let out a shit is it really that different than saying Crap! Shoot! Man! or Ouch! They are all interjections.

tokenuser
08-01-2010, 01:46 AM
If you bang your toe and let out a shit is it really that different than saying Crap! Shoot! Man! or Ouch! They are all interjections.They are all interjections and convey the same meaning ... So why is shit regarded as worse than "gosh darn it"? Techically, I think that they are expletives, which is more specific than an interjection.

But, if you do bang your toe and let out a shit ... then I suggest you seek some medical attention, cos anything that causes so much pain that you are forced to evacuate your bowels is going to be nasty.

Sidebar ... was at Walmart earlier today, and saw a man and woman pushing a pair of trolleys (shopping carts). His was loaded with 3 slabs of Bud Light. Hers was loaded with adult diapers and a jumbo box of twinkies. Guess that's one way of makin shur ya see evry NASCAR moment ... Settin down an never needing to get outta tha lazyboy.

psychomike
08-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Made the Foobmob Ramen tonight!

A few substitutions. I used chicken instead of tuna (good tuna just too expensive right now), and I used Udon noodles instead of thin noodles because that's what the store had.

It looked and smelled good, but the taste was completely overpowered by the lime. You could barely taste any of the other ingredients. I always try to follow the recipe pretty strictly(except for my listed substitutions). Needless to say it was not one of my favorite foodmob recipes. Especially coming off of the delicious mac & cheese last week. Any thoughts from others who made the ramen?

Let me also just take a minute address the recipe page at http://revision3.com/foodmob/tunaramen The recipes printed on the foodmob pages almost always have errors or differences from the episode itself, but this weeks was bad. Things done in completely different order, ingredients left out of the ingredients list -- you're not making it easy for a beginner cook. If I followed the written recipe literally, it tells the cook to sweat whole limes with the onions, mushrooms, and chili. The ingredients list doesn't even mention onions or peas! I had to re-watch parts of the show to guess what would be the best amounts. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

here's a picture of the dish:
http://revision3.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1431&stc=1&d=1280645022

looking forward to next weeks episode!

chefniall
08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
hi all

Take the points about he language especially if there are kids watching! See the thing is that it really is just us having a bit of a laugh and talking as we normally do and if anything toning it down a bit! I guess we just want to have it as natural as possible and to be hinest never really thought there would be that many kids actually watching it!

N

chefniall
08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Made the Foobmob Ramen tonight!

A few substitutions. I used chicken instead of tuna (good tuna just too expensive right now), and I used Udon noodles instead of thin noodles because that's what the store had.

It looked and smelled good, but the taste was completely overpowered by the lime. You could barely taste any of the other ingredients. I always try to follow the recipe pretty strictly(except for my listed substitutions). Needless to say it was not one of my favorite foodmob recipes. Especially coming off of the delicious mac & cheese last week. Any thoughts from others who made the ramen?

Let me also just take a minute address the recipe page at http://revision3.com/foodmob/tunaramen The recipes printed on the foodmob pages almost always have errors or differences from the episode itself, but this weeks was bad. Things done in completely different order, ingredients left out of the ingredients list -- you're not making it easy for a beginner cook. If I followed the written recipe literally, it tells the cook to sweat whole limes with the onions, mushrooms, and chili. The ingredients list doesn't even mention onions or peas! I had to re-watch parts of the show to guess what would be the best amounts. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

here's a picture of the dish:
http://revision3.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1431&stc=1&d=1280645022

looking forward to next weeks episode!

Actually a couple of people saying this so I wouldn't worry about you thinking you are wrong. Having a think about it possibly the best way to do it would be to add the limes at a later stage and just squeeze the last little bit in rather than cooking them. The other thing is not to cook the broth for too long because the more you do the more intense the flavors get! Thanks for sharing the feedback though as it is appreciated and will help others to learn!

NIall

fath0m
08-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Long time watcher, first time I am going to post.

First, don't change anything about the language. It really grinds my gears when people complain about language in shows. This is revision 3, whose backbone is diggnation and totally rad show, its demo is older people in general and as such so is the content. I feel sorry your kids can't watch this but I think its silly for the foodmob staff to hold back on being themselves and I think its even sillier to bring up the bullshit arguement that use of "inappropriate" language equates to stupidity. This is not ABCfamily.

Now then, really looking forward to trying this recipe out! Really glad to see an asian influence on the show.

Also, to the poster with the udon noodles that looks absolutely amazing/could be in a restaurant. I am an udon fiend. How did you find the noodle took to the broth tastewise though? Typically when I have had it, it comes in a heavier sauce because the noodles are so large.

frankiethewaffle
08-02-2010, 04:12 AM
I will try this as soon as I think Benedryl will save my life. See, I love sushi, best place I get it is the supermarket place. May not be the best.

Three times ago my inner ears itched, two ago my eyes watered and swelled and blood red, last time my throat itched and kinda shrunk.

I don't know if it was the raw Tuna or Salmon, but I can't risk it. My favorite seafood dish is RARE tuna sliced over a baby spinach salad with only olive oil and salt an pepper to make me happy. (Tuna cooked 1/4 cooked on either side and the center of an inch thick steak rare)

Now. How do I find out I won't die if I try this delicious dish?

tokenuser
08-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I have the same reaction to shellfish and red wine. Histamines are my enemies.
Pity that I love crabcakes, and have red wine flowing through my veins.

When you say sushi, do you mean sashimi (slices of - typically - raw fish), nigiri (fish on an oblong of sushi rice), or maki (rolls sushi rice and other ingredients typically with nori (seaweed) wrapper)?

If it is nigiri or maki you mean, then it might not be the fish. It could be the seaweed, dashi, or rice vinegar in the rice you are reacting to. It might also be a reaction to the soy (MSG) people typically put on the sushi (all types).

Cooked vs raw fish makes a difference too. You might not react to cooked/seared tuna in the same way you are affected by raw tuna. I have my doubts about a reaction to salmon though - its fairly benign raw, or cooked (seared, smoked or cured). How are you with Lox (Scandinavian style smoked/cured salmon)?

ronaldo
08-02-2010, 11:53 PM
A supermarket may be "helping" their sushi stay fresh longer to cut down on waste due to lower turnover. It could be that they have a new method of "helping" and it is something you are allergic to.

masherscf
08-03-2010, 12:25 AM
A supermarket may be "helping" their sushi stay fresh longer to cut down on waste due to lower turnover. It could be that they have a new method of "helping" and it is something you are allergic to.

I don't know what the practices of your local market are. But the guy who makes the sushi at out local market will make it fresh in thr morning and won't allow you buy sushi that's been out. It's always excelent and yummy.

tokenuser
08-03-2010, 01:10 AM
A supermarket may be "helping" their sushi stay fresh longer to cut down on waste due to lower turnover. It could be that they have a new method of "helping" and it is something you are allergic to.I wouldn't be down on the supermarket sushi too much though - some is better than others. There were two supermarkets near where I used to live that made fresh sushi. To the point that if they didnt have what you wanted on display, they'd make it fresh. I moved to the midwest, and the local supermarket has the same national "brand" of supermarket sushi as the places I was familiar with ... and the quality is nowhere near as good. The other places were as good, if not better than, a couple of local japanese restaurants for their sushi - and a lot cheaper.

But, I won't buy sushi from a supermarket unless I know it is made on the premises.

ronaldo
08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't be down on the supermarket sushi too much though - some is better than others. There were two supermarkets near where I used to live that made fresh sushi. To the point that if they didnt have what you wanted on display, they'd make it fresh. I moved to the midwest, and the local supermarket has the same national "brand" of supermarket sushi as the places I was familiar with ... and the quality is nowhere near as good. The other places were as good, if not better than, a couple of local japanese restaurants for their sushi - and a lot cheaper.

But, I won't buy sushi from a supermarket unless I know it is made on the premises.

I am not down on it. I have had it myself. However, I also know from personal experience that some supermarkets will go to unhealthy lengths to cut down on waste. This may not even be one of those occasions but the use of preservatives is not illegal and it could be causing a allergic reaction.

If you have never had an allergic reaction in the past I would try buying it from a different source before blaming the fish.

19 years ago I might have thought I was allergic to chicken. Turns out the supermarket was cleaning them off with a bleach solution to extend their shelf life.