PDA

View Full Version : Lightning at the Superbowl?

popltree2
02-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Was it just me or was there just some massive lightning strikes during halftime?

ariastar
02-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey, You!

I think it was the lighting used. The half-time show was lame.

kwok_talk
02-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Did Prince cover a Foo Fighters song? Or was that a Prince song originally?

magunwarrior
02-05-2007, 12:52 AM
No that's a Foo Fighters song, trust me I would know.

bman
02-05-2007, 12:56 AM
I walked in the room while he was doing the foo fighters song and i was like WTF, that sucked.

magunwarrior
02-05-2007, 12:59 AM
I had put on headphones and was watching 24 on my Macbook when I paused it to eat something and I heard him singing it, I then immediately turned it back on and turned the volume all the way up.

popltree2
02-05-2007, 01:03 AM
It was kind of a montage. I think I heard some Jimi Hendrix in there too.

-mk-
02-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Well, allow me to be the dissenting opinion in the thread: I thought Prince was amazing and the show (lighting, stage, marching band) was incredible. I didn't think I'd enjoy it very much, but I honestly have to say they did a heck of the job pulling a show like that off in a storm.

When I think about it, Prince may be one of the most amazing songwriter/guitarists ever, and Purple Rain (in the rain) was cool - with everyone singing the famous ending. For those wondering about the covers, I caught "All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix, "The Best of You" by the Foo Fighters, and "Rolling on the River" by Tina Turner.

Hard to imagine that they could set all of that stuff up and tear it down in a halftime (and that the field wasn't total crap afterwards).

ariastar
02-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Well, allow me to be the dissenting opinion in the thread: I thought Prince was amazing and the show (lighting, stage, marching band) was incredible. I didn't think I'd enjoy it very much, but I honestly have to say they did a heck of the job pulling a show like that off in a storm.

When I think about it, Prince may be one of the most amazing songwriter/guitarists ever, and Purple Rain (in the rain) was cool - with everyone singing the famous ending. For those wondering about the covers, I caught "All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix, "The Best of You" by the Foo Fighters, and "Rolling on the River" by Tina Turner.

Hard to imagine that they could set all of that stuff up and tear it down in a halftime (and that the field wasn't total crap afterwards).

Prince has done better. That's all there is to it. But this just wasn't up to his usual standard.

tokenuser
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Prince has done better. That's all there is to it. But this just wasn't up to his usual standard.
What do you expect? He hasn't been seen in public for a long time, and it was pissing down rain. Not exactly "A" game material.

BTW - The lightening was real.

magunwarrior
02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I will agree he is a very good gutarist, I just don't like how his voice sounds.

muffins
02-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I walked into the room with a microwave pizza I had just made and heard him singing and decided that the pizza needed to cook some more. In the other room. Where you cant hear the TV.

decemberfall
02-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Did Prince cover a Foo Fighters song? Or was that a Prince song originally?
nope it was foo fighters, i got out the album and the credits go to them on everything, I think he did a horrible job with it, that's one of my all time favorite foo fighters songs and they are one of my favorite bands, so yeah...

magunwarrior
02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
nope it was foo fighters, i got out the album and the credits go to them on everything, I think he did a horrible job with it, that's one of my all time favorite foo fighters songs and they are one of my favorite bands, so yeah...

Me too, I LOVE the Foo Fighters.

comhcinc
02-05-2007, 08:20 PM
best half time show in years. i hate when they go over board with it. if you think it was pretty simple. prince performing.

oh btw Proud Mary (rolling on the river) is a Creedence Clearwater Revival song, tina turner covered it.

magunwarrior
02-05-2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X9BT-7kuO0&mode=related&search=
The Foo Fighters version is so much better.

-mk-
02-05-2007, 10:29 PM
oh btw Proud Mary (rolling on the river) is a Creedence Clearwater Revival song, tina turner covered it.

DUHHHH. Silly me - you're so right.

And about Prince and The Foo Fighters, I wonder if there's mutual fandom going on. Grohl and the boys covered Darling Nikki a while back, now he's doing The Best of You. Pretty cool.

I actually love the Foo Fighters' version of Darling Nikki.

nextgenxbox
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Rolling on the river? Um... that wasn't what he sang. He sang a CCR song!

jjallday
02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Nobody ever likes it when someone covers their favorite artist. Prince is an amazing guitarist and really deserves to be talked about in the same conversation with Eddie VanHalen and Jimi Hendrix and such, but he rarely plays so it gets overlooked in the historical context.

I know a guy that knows a guy (teehee), that used to play in his touring band. He was the guy who dressed in doctor's scrubs in The Revolution. Ok, I made that part up. But, he had to live on Prince's compound in Minnesota and I guess he's a total nut when it comes to rehearsal and doing weird stuff like waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to jam.

Also, I gave up on Prince when he dumped Apollonia.

magunwarrior
02-06-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm all for how good of a guitarist he is, because he's a fantastic guitarist, when you cover a Foo Fighters song, you best bring it. David Grohl really screams the lyrics and Prince just kind of sang softly.

decemberfall
02-06-2007, 02:05 AM
I'm all for how good of a guitarist he is, because he's a fantastic guitarist, when you cover a Foo Fighters song, you best bring it. David Grohl really screams the lyrics and Prince just kind of sang softly.
that was my point, if Prince would have rocked out on that song, it would have been different, but that's not a song to sing softly... I've heard covers of my favorite songs that I liked, but you can't change the core of an amazing song like that and expect people to like it as well as the original

xibalba
02-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Was the half time show any good? I've heard some people say is was awesome and others say it sucked. I changed the channel soon as it started not a fan of his style of music.

kowgod
02-06-2007, 02:28 AM
I liked the halftime show. Sucked it was pouring rain. I'm sure that didn't help things.

Also, if you're going to cover a song, you'd best do something new with it. If I wanted to hear a copy of the original, I'll just listen to a copy of the original.

comhcinc
02-06-2007, 02:54 AM
I liked the halftime show. Sucked it was pouring rain. I'm sure that didn't help things.

Also, if you're going to cover a song, you'd best do something new with it. If I wanted to hear a copy of the original, I'll just listen to a copy of the original.

quite right. plus he did a big montage. put together rather quickly. a friend told me he was only announced a couple of weeks ago.

my question, where can i get a couple of chicks to dance around me all the time. just picture walking through the mall would be great.

casework
02-06-2007, 03:19 AM
By the way, if you're talking about this[http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-gLWj-_TBs] lightning, it's clearly fake. That or it conveniently strikes everytime the camera cuts to the overview shot.

comhcinc
02-06-2007, 03:22 AM
By the way, if you're talking about this[http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-gLWj-_TBs] lightning, it's clearly fake. That or it conveniently strikes everytime the camera cuts to the overview shot.

course it is man made. no football if it is lighting. i thought it was kinda cool.