PDA

View Full Version : Do Lost fans care about BKV?

kwok_talk
02-05-2007, 12:47 AM
So, I have to admit that I don't watch Lost, but a lot of my friends are. Although I'm late to the BKV party (having only read Runaways and Y this last year), as a comic fan, it's really cool that he'll be writing for Lost. I've been trying to hype that up to my Lost friends, but is never met by more than a "oh." While us who read his comics may think its cool, do you think any non-comic fans will care at all? Would a Lost fan ultimately pick up a BKV title just b/c of his work on Lost?

fred
02-05-2007, 12:51 AM
I like Lost and in a normal world I'd actually be considered a big fan. But the real big Lost fans are crazy and alas I'm only a regular fan. But I mentioned this fact to my wife, who reads Y and Runaways and is a crazy Lost fan. No really those people are nuts. I spend half my damn life reading/talking about comics online and I think those people are nuts.

Anyway, rambling like crazy so cutting myself off ....

She's not happy because she thinks new writer=more confusion.

conorkilpatrick
02-05-2007, 01:15 AM
While us who read his comics may think its cool, do you think any non-comic fans will care at all? Would a Lost fan ultimately pick up a BKV title just b/c of his work on Lost?

The vast majority of fans of TV shows don't care about who is writing/directing/producing their favorite shows. So I doubt it. Jeph Loeb and Paul Dini wrote and produced Lost already and that didn't translate to comic sales. Ditto with Loeb and Tim Sale on Heroes and that's a superhero property.

orlov
02-05-2007, 01:23 AM
My friend and I really like Lost, and I read comics and he does not. BKV being one of my favorite writers I am super psyched and my friend was like "eh cool". So I gave him the first trade of Y to read. A few hours later after he was done devouring the 8th tpb he could not be more excited for Lost to return on the 7th of February and has also sparked his interest in comics, or at least BKV comics.

jurassicalien
02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm not all that excitied about it. Mostly because I don't dig Lost all that much (I know I'm evil). But I just know that with most hour long TV dramas, unless you created the show, most writers write...two episodes, if that, a season.

Just look at shows like the X-files, or Star Trek TNG. Most of those episodes were scatterd amoungst diffrent writers.

There are more of those then say Twin Peaks, or Rescue Me, where most if not all the episodes are written my the creators.

JAFlanagan
02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I'll tell you why I'm happy about this. I'm happy that a great guy and a talented writer like Brian K. Vaughan is getting some reward for his work. From this, he can move up the chain, eventually get to be a showrunner, and have a chance to pitch his own projects. And some day, maybe we'll get a BKV helmed show, which, could obviously be very good.

BUT, the fact of the matter is, he'll be the most junior member of a large, and thus far successful writing squad. I would be really surprised if much of his work ends up on the screen, and if so, you'd have no way of knowing it's him. I don't expect that he'll make a noticeable impact on the show. It's a big ship, and he's one of the guys rowing. Here's hoping his talent helps him get his voice heard sooner.

JAFlanagan
02-05-2007, 02:16 PM
unless you created the show, most writers write...two episodes, if that, a season.

Bingo, and even those are written collaboratively, for the most part. The guy who gets the writing credit is just the one who actually puts the script together. Although, it's often from his own pitch.

conorkilpatrick
02-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Speaking of Lost, every review I've read says that Wednesday's episode is fantastic - Season 1 quality.

I could not be more excited.

fred
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Speaking of Lost, every review I've read says that Wednesday's episode is fantastic - Season 1 quality.

I could not be more excited.

I'm pretty excited too, if only because it will give my wife something to talk about that's based on actual events rather than speculation. Has anyone heard the travel tunnel theory? Or as I like to refer to it, the Super Mario Brothers Warp Zone theory of Lost? Yeah, really it's that bad

paper
02-10-2007, 05:41 PM
So, the show's back. Honestly, I had mixed feelings about this episode (given the hype) but I'm excited to be back on the island.

Even if it is unlikely that BKV will get his own episodes produced this season, he might get to co-write a script towards the end of this season or in season 4.

Who do you think he'd be good to write a flashback for? I could see him doing well with some of the lighter characters like Hurley or Sawyer. Maybe he could write a Charlie episode that doesn't suck (I have an irrational hatred towards Charlie, a firey loathing that causes me to skulk around the room with my hands in my pockets whenever he's on camera).

Looking forward to next week.

fred
02-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I was expecting some kind of repreive on the crazy with it coming back. It has not arrived

drwally
02-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah, TV viewers have no idea who is writing or directing, unless it's a very exceptional case like Whedon on Buffy and Angel, but most of what Whedon did was run a stable of writers very well and keep their continuity in check. 80% or more of those shows were written by other people besides Whedon.

I would say the best thing is what was already mentioned -- tell Lost fans who are friends that the writer of the show came out of the comics scene, and that his or her "unfiltered" work in comics is twice as great, here "have a look." Then maybe they won't look at us like Alien Life Forms when we mention comic stuff, as a first step towards getting them to appreciate comics instead of just seeing it as all campy silliness. Then maybe we won't have to endure dumb jokes and sucky art offered as sincere gifts, with forgiving but fake smiles...."Gee thanks, I love that character (thinking: and that is a really crappy version of him, forgive them, they know not what they do...)"

paper
02-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Whenever I'm doing the water-cooler conversation about Lost on thursdays, my friends don't so much care about the writing portion of the rant. All the big decisions, the shockers and reveals and reversals are all stemming from the writers' table discussions, the producers, the series bible, and not the individual writers themselves. And I think a lot of fans understand that. So, when I'm disappointed to see Carlton Cuse in the opening credits as a co-writer, I'm the only one wincing (he sucks). Regardless of how deft the writing or how daft the writing of an epsiode, the major plot points still end up happening. And sometimes that's all that a good portion of the fans care about.

That's how I explain my reaction to this episode anyway. I dug all the beats, but I don't think the execution was totally there, nor the emotional highpoints (walky-talky) fully earned.

I feel like BKV could serve a script pretty well, getting from points A to B to big cliffhanger H with the care that those developments deserve. Even his minor subplots and filler arcs (the tangents in Y) show attention to detail.