PDA

View Full Version : Episode 1: FIRE AND BRIMSTONE [DISCUSSION]

ronxo
10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
This week on Scientific Tuesdays, Dylan sees what happens when you experiment with Sulfar and Iron. You might want to cover your nose.

Watch This Episode > (http://revision3.com/scientifictuesdays/firebrimstone)

nlsthzn
10-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Good start, nice build up and then... well, then the whole show kind of fell flat... some fizzling, some gunk, no real TADA moment... the end... ??

prince21
10-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I did overall enjoy the new scientific Tuesdays show and enjoy how different it is from a lot of the other shows I have been watching. I think this guy can keep improving but for a first show not bad at all. I will stay tuned.

ksboyintx
10-19-2010, 06:34 PM
........waiting for the reactions that require a fume hood or the outdoors requiring a lot of space.

I think the Lead To Gold episode is going to have a huge following

echuu
10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Was it just me or was the sound out of sync?

alex-wigmore
10-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Good start, nice build up and then... well, then the whole show kind of fell flat... some fizzling, some gunk, no real TADA moment... the end... ??

Completely agree.
First episode, you should definitely start with a bang, not a fizzle, and certainly at least have a pop!
What was the point in that really? I didn't find it educational or cool, what is the use of iron sulphate.

I've not given up hope yet though, I'll watch next weeks :).

eylander
10-19-2010, 11:55 PM
The clip starts nice and then loses steam around the time you are heating up your iron rod. Also, you should give examples of the usefulness of your result. If your result isn't useful, you need to make it entertaining, perhaps by animating why the chemical reaction works.

madmarv
10-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I think I can see where you want to go with this show, but I also think your scriptwriting needs to be tightened up a lot.

The title is Fire and Brimstone, but I didn't get how it tied in to this episode until after Google directed me to Wikipedia and how sulphur = brimstone. I'm not religious, but the cliche "fire and brimstone" is very well known and it doesn't point towards chemistry. The title builds up the viewers' expectation and I don't think any viewer was satisfied at the end.

The pacing felt slow to me. When you spend a 30 - 60 seconds measuring your ingredients, my attention begins to wander. Take a look at Mythbusters. If they need to make a data dump, words are written on a white board and they accelerate the writing in post. It's a simple and cheap production shortcut. The total time you should have spent explaining the recipe is about 5 seconds.

The ending didn't wrap up the show. You made it seem like the ratio of 8 grams of iron and 4 grams of sulphur was important, but I couldn't see why. The chemical reaction was cool, but there didn't seem to be a purpose to why it was performed in the first place. A story about the uses of iron sulfide seemed to be missing. If you could recap and tie the formation of iron sulfide into the title Fire and Brimstone, that would have been a good conclusion to your show.

sembazuru
10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
In the video description the work "Sulfar" is used. Sulfar is a fiber made from polyphenylene sulfide. See: http://www.fibersource.com/f-tutor/sulfar.htm

"Sulfur" or "sulphur" is correct. Probably want to go with "Sulfur" because that is how the bottle in the episode is labeled, and "Sulfur" us used elsewhere on this site in the episode description.

aelin
10-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I actually thought that this would be interesting....this was 7th grade....well, 5th grade show and tell, no science here. Please, if Rev3 is going to delve into science please give your viewers some credit and actually talk about science. Please don't give us a "show and tell." We are much more intelligent than that.

krazy_kaos
10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I kinda liked it.

I wonder if anyone knows the name of the song in the end of the episode.

commonsence21
10-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Really didn't like this.
The attempt at "comedy" with the line about vampire movies was lame and quite frankly a little insulting that you wouldn't give the audience a little credit.

Also...bad experiment with a bad result. Not impressed.

sgijoe
10-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Please give your audience more credit, this is insulting to our intelligence.

...also, what was that song at the end?

krazy_kaos
10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Please give your audience more credit, this is insulting to our intelligence.

...also, what was that song at the end?

That song was great...
ANd I can't find the name of it anywhere.... maybe we should open a post about it...

cybersuchus
10-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I agree with the previous posters. This first episode was pretty lame. Lots of disjointed pacing, an unwanted stab at audience intelligence (are there any Rev 3 viewers that actually like Twilight?), no real explanation behind the reaction, or its uses, and a song at the end that was completely opposite the flow of the show.

Also: six minutes? Screw that.

Here's hoping the next few episodes get much better.

mopsical
10-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Just thought I'd chip in with a response to everyone who's been calling the show "insulting": the show is actually produced by Household Hacker (http://www.youtube.com/householdhacker) , who's pretty big on the YouTubes. In fact, he's the #25 most subscribed person of all time. And since he's a YouTuber, mentioning Twilight and teaching basic chemistry must be kind of normal since his young viewership (most of the comments on this episode just mention the ad for Netflix, sellout etc. etc.)

I did find the show entertaining to a degree, but it just screams YouTube: not of a high intelligence or quality. There are plenty of other YouTube phenomenoms you could take in that would be much better than this, please.

juicymoose
10-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I failed to see the point of why you would do this experiment. There should have been more information as to why you would do this. Also the history should have been given as to how this process was used in the past. After watching this I had no desire to go out and try it myself.

I am excited to see this show develop and get better with time.

zambaito
10-27-2010, 08:05 PM
this will be a cool show if it became a sort of opposite to Joe Genius. whereas Joe Genius shows us stupid stuff no one should try, this should should show us things that are fun that we CAN actually try.

thelordtalon
10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
The experiment wasn't that great but then again if you want fire and brimestone then organic chemistry is the way to go (since some of the reactions can be explosive)

computoman
10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
this will be a cool show if it became a sort of opposite to Joe Genius. whereas Joe Genius shows us stupid stuff no one should try, this should should show us things that are fun that we CAN actually try.

Actually I found quite a few things I decided to research further from Joe Genius and then try under controlled circumstances.

I can not say I could do better than the presenter, but a little more pathos and background info would have been nice.

superlinuxuser
12-09-2010, 10:47 AM
What do you use Iron Sulfide for? Why not give the chemical formula and model of your reaction/experiment.