PDA

View Full Version : What is geekdom?

terryscss
02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
How does something become geeky?

Why is it that comic books and alien-related media is always geeky, but being obsessed with Fantasy Football or High School Musical is considered something else entirely? Would my vast collection of Hilary Duff memorabilia be considered left-overs from a high school crush, or would it be a statement of my geekdom. And if its not, why would we consider a similar collection of Sarah Michelle Gellar stuff geeky?

Just curious of what you guys can come up with.

rokov
02-16-2011, 05:05 PM
The definition of geek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek) that I usually subscribe to is "a person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream". Therefore, someone who is obsessed with fantasy football or High School Musical also qualifies as a geek. The traditional geek (tech, comic books, sci-fi etc.) is just a combination of different kinds of geeks that tend to overlap. Scott Johnson said it best with The 56 species of geek (http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottjohnson/2086153791/sizes/o/in/set-72157601200807582/).

heyseuss
02-16-2011, 07:56 PM
How does something become geeky?

Why is it that comic books and alien-related media is always geeky, but being obsessed with Fantasy Football

I hear ppl refer to FF as football nerds. They are in the League as well.

or High School Musical is considered something els entirely?

It is different, HSM is for children, . .. very simple children.

Would my vast collection of Hilary Duff memorabilia be considered left-overs from a high school crush, or would it be a statement of my geekdom.

It's fandom. Completely different, not related to geekdom. The biggest jock and the biggest nerd both like Cheryl Tiegs.

And if its not, why would we consider a similar collection of Sarah Michelle Gellar stuff geeky?

Because SMG is butt-ugly compared to HD.

masherscf
02-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Geek has no pedigree. Geek has no definition. It just is.

tsmith15
02-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Glee geek = Gleek