PDA

View Full Version : Weird Vista issue...

ozkolaski
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
dude, if firefox is working, i wouldnt worry about ie....ie is slower anyway...i know that apple came out with safari for pc's, so if u dont like firefox you can always try safari. plus...is there any reason you need ie? if not, i would just forget it. you could also try installing ie again if u must have it...

hope this helps a little.

-ozkolaski

tokenuser
08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I haven't gone into Vista in depth yet because of some software I need to run in XP, but which verison of IE? 6 or 7? or does Vista only come with 7?

If it comes with 6 or 7, fire up firefox, go to www.microsoft.com/ie7 and download and install it from there.

If it was an upgrade that failed from 6 to 7, uninstall 7 - it will keep 6 installed. Then fire up firefox, go to www.microsoft.com/ie7 and download and install it from there again.

IE7 is actually pretty good - not good enough to sway me from Opera, but definately better than Firefox.

tokenuser
08-28-2007, 09:51 PM
When were you trying this? Could it be related the WGA authenticaiton outage?
Eitherway - grab a copy from the download site.

darknessgp
08-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I had a similar issue with my first Vista install, except I noticed it because ALL the help windows would not work, as they use IE7. The only way I found to "fix" it was to do another clean install, which doesn't help you at all. I honestly think it has something to do with firefox getting set as the default program for accessing the internet and sometimes IE7 just freaks out.

tokenuser
08-28-2007, 11:50 PM
OK, can I install over the current one that comes with Vista without fubaring anything?Yes. It is just like doing a repair (in fact, it might prompt you if this IS a repair. By installing it after FF, it should take control again. Its worth a try.

darknessgp
08-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Do you think I should I uninstall Fire**** to see if it fixes this? I just don't understand how the hell this could happen to Internet Exploder. Even more annoying, I can't google anything with similiar issues. Even the MS guys can't help:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?cat=&lang=&cr=&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&tid=317d5d0a-fd14-40a3-b96c-adec79fd5595&mid=90a25073-c3b7-4c64-aeca-7955983ba111&amid=90a25073-c3b7-4c64-aeca-7955983ba111&answer=-1&p=1&stgxml=http%3a%2f%2fwindowshelp.microsoft.com%2fco mmunities%2fnewsgroups%2fen-us%2fsettings.xml

Honestly, it did not fix the issue when I had it, but a try couldn't hurt...

As far as the windows help thread you posted, sounds like the last guy is an idiot.

Sorry, I can't help more. Seems to be an issue that lacks an appropriate "fix".

tokenuser
08-29-2007, 01:21 AM
You are screwed :)
Sorry.

jigglebilly
09-15-2007, 03:58 PM
i work at a helpdesk...yeah im the guy that you have to talk to when your shit breaks....we see this all the time and its because IE is a piece of crap

dont worry about it and just use Firefox...if it really bothers you, you can go to add/remove programs choose windows components and repair IE...i believe..i know that works for outlook express

jigglebilly
09-15-2007, 04:00 PM
As much as I would like to "not worry about it," unfortunately IE is integrated into Windows. I'm sure this is going to cause other problems down the line.

it shouldnt cause problems down the line as long as Firefox is set to his default web browser

unless he has to uses some kind of webpage that requires IE (which is rare that something will work in IE and not FF)

darknessgp
09-16-2007, 02:14 PM
...dont worry about it and just use Firefox...if it really bothers you, you can go to add/remove programs choose windows components and repair IE...i believe..i know that works for outlook express

Could possibly work.

jigglebilly, apparently you haven't use Vista yet. IE7 is more integrated in Vista than IE has been in previous Windows versions. For example, ALL built-in windows help windows use IE7 to display, so if IE7 is screwed up you can not use any of the built-in windows help. There are a few other things. It's not so widespread that it makes Vista unusable, but it's enough that depending on what exactly you are doing it could become extremely annoying, like it did when mine was messing up.