PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna be playin' the Team Fortress 2 Beta?

creepybob
09-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Anybody else gonna be out there playin' Team Fortress 2 Beta?

Just lookin' for TRS fans to play alongside :D.

filch
09-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Can you just d/l the beta?

taozoo4u
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
im not sure Filch i think you need to pre-order the game to be in the first wave but i already pre-ordered it so i am, hell me and my friends already have our clan set up

falloutitchy
09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, you have to pre-order the Orange Box in order to get into the beta. That's HL2, HL2 Episode 1-2, Portal, and TF2 all for under $50, though, so it's pretty much the best deal you'll be able to find this fall.

I'm pretty sure they let you give your HL2 and HL2 Episode 1 away if you already had them, as well.

Wow, this sounded a whole lot like an ad...

geekluv
09-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Awesome, I've been looking forward to the Orange Box and you just gave me a great reason to go pre-order.

bellcanada420
09-12-2007, 08:03 PM
OMG I cant wait for TF2. I have been playing since the begining and this element of the HL series is way overdue for an upgrade. Its about time.

See you all in the game....bellcanada420 is my handle...

creepybob
09-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Can you just d/l the beta?

Yes...you do have to pre-order the Orange Box. It's worth it imo 'cause my friends and I have been eagerly anticipating TF2's release.

Healbot the Heavy!

imperceptible
09-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I've just pre-ordered the orange box off of steam. Came just under $55AUD, which is way cheaper than any retailer could offer. So I'll be playing the TF2 BETA, looks super fun.

satori
09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Sept 17... OMG, Sept frickin 17th!!!! I thought this was never going to come, and here we are 5 days away.

creepybob
09-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Sept 17... OMG, Sept frickin 17th!!!! I thought this was never going to come, and here we are 5 days away.

W00t...i know it seems like it's been forever.

I was originally drawn to Portal ... but seeing TF gettin' a remake peeked my interest, some friends and are hopin' to dominate.

lavahot
09-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Do they still offer the Black Box?

bobafettjm
09-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I'll be probably getting Orange Box for the 360, so no beta for me.

satori
09-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I'll be probably getting Orange Box for the 360, so no beta for me.

sorry dude, I guess this is like the bioshock demo in reverse and I know how sad that made me.

bobafettjm
09-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Yeah it's alright for me anyway, I will have my hands full with games anyway.

canadian8703
09-13-2007, 04:13 AM
About the Orange Box, Jeff (or Dan/Alex) didn't mention looking forward to this in there last video game section. To me this game is huge, half life 2: episode 1 defined what i expect from shooters not only in game play, but story as well. It was years ahead of its time in graphics and game play, and i expect the same from episode 2.

So my question to Jeff if you end up reading this, are you excited for HL2:EP2? Or is HL2 not your thing?

satori
09-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Just a reminder for anyone who wants to play Team Fortress on Sept 17th, make sure that you pre-load the game through steam so you aren't having to try and Download through the steam servers when they're getting slammed on Sept 17th.

As for not being in one of the most expected games, I was a little taken aback by that as well, especially given Jeff's mentioning HL2 as being a bench mark game to compare Bio-shock to. My theory is that it was simply missed.

kippjon
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
About the Orange Box, Jeff (or Dan/Alex) didn't mention looking forward to this in there last video game section. To me this game is huge, half life 2: episode 1 defined what i expect from shooters not only in game play, but story as well. It was years ahead of its time in graphics and game play, and i expect the same from episode 2.

So my question to Jeff if you end up reading this, are you excited for HL2:EP2? Or is HL2 not your thing?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I think Jeff mentioned that it was one of his favorite games, and a benchmakr for shooter games. they must of just forgotten it.
I don't even have a 360 yet (waiting for a holiday bundle or the new chip set) and I'll be buying this, as well as halo 3, COD 3, and eventually fable 2. And to answer the original post, I'll be playing TF2 on live (once it's released)

satori
09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
ok, turns out there was a rumor saying it was coming out at noon today, the new rumor is 12 pm EST. But again... it's only a rumor.

kickarse
09-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I am definitely on it tonight. Anyone that is playing should add a TRS[yourname] to the beginning of their name so we can all play.

satori
09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
ok, so I have it, but I can't find any servers. Had to play alone to check out the maps... wow! very nice look and as far as I can tell they've kept a lot of the original maps but made variations on them.
Overall they've removed grenades which is going to drastically change how I play team fortress.
What I've found so far on the characters
1. Scouts no longer have concussion grenades so a lot of their edge is gone. They can do a version of bunny hopping so the class does have some edge. Sadly they've taken away the nails he used to be able to drop.
2. Soldier's rocket jump is pretty weak. TFC soldier could rocket about 4 or 5 body lengths above the ground. The new TF2 rocket jump is at best 1.5 body lengths.
3. pyro. taking away the napalm grenades has made this guy somewhat pointless. I suppose he'll be good for snifing out spys by flaming an area, but I don't see the point of this guy beyond that.
4.demolition has lost his bomb making ability. you still shoot out timed grenades, or remote controlled grenades, but I'll miss being able to open soft points in a map with the demolition bombs. They suggest that you can grenade jump as well. I tried it a few times and while I can get a lot higher with a grenade jump than the soldiers rocket jump the maps have been configured in such a way to pretty much make the jumping aspect a little pointless. You can't jump on to buildings roofs. They've done the old invisible wall thing. So where in TFC you could be anywhere that there was a flat surface if you could simply get there, this is not possible in TF2. Again, this is going to change the way many of us play.
5. Engineer: Now this guy actually got some upgrades which is nice. He now has a teleport device that he can build. You build an entry gate, and then you find another location and build an exit gate. The gates take a few seconds to recharge for each jump so you can't just pour your team through the gate, but it is a nice touch. Sentry gun builds the same, but without targets I'm not sure how fast it'll take you down. The thing they seem to of taken away is the supplies dispencer will no longer detonate. You used to be able to use it as a remote bomb of sorts. I guess they didn't like this and took that feature out.
6. Heavy Weapons - same old same old. I think the only change is that you can now spin the mini gun up with the alt fire button so it doesn't take as long to fire. you used to have to do this manually with the fire button. You still walk as slow as a zombie.
7. Medic. until I can play with others I'm not sure how this guy will work. I used to love infecting people with the medic, I hope they haven't taken this away.
8. Sniper now has to charge their weapon in a single spot before it'll fire fully. It's a bit annoying from what I can tell.
9. Spy The addition of a timed cloaking devince is nice. I'm not sure about the changling ability and what happens if you shoot while in another form.
That's all I have for now.

kickarse
09-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Wasn't the original TF just a mod that was FREE ??

Anyways there's a mod out for HL2 that's called Fortress Forever.

http://www.teamfortress2fort.com/blog/post/fortress-forever-release.aspx
http://www.fortress-forever.com/

darknessgp
09-18-2007, 02:10 PM
5. Engineer: Now this guy actually got some upgrades which is nice. He now has a teleport device that he can build. You build an entry gate, and then you find another location and build an exit gate. The gates take a few seconds to recharge for each jump so you can't just pour your team through the gate, but it is a nice touch...

umm, that's in TFC.

Oh and about the original TF being free... yes, that is correct, but like most things valve takes over, they've drastically changed TF2. It isn't a clone of TFC, it is definitely the byproduct of a company working on it. Kind of like how Garry's Mod 10 ($10) was such a vast improvement over Garry's Mod 9 (Free).

satori
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
umm, that's in TFC.
I don't know what you are saying. Can you please clarify what you are referring to? Thanks. :)

Oh and about the original TF being free... yes, that is correct, but like most things valve takes over, they've drastically changed TF2.
Just to clarify, the orignal TF mod was free but was for the orignal quake. TFC was a mod for Halflife. Because halflife was built on the original Quake engine it wasn't a big deal to port TF over to it. Valve ended up picking up the title and releasing it as part of it's patch system. about 6 months later it was shipped in box with Halflife without a price change. TF2 was planned a couple years after but was never released. Because the dev cycle was so long it became a Duke Nukem Forever type title that no one believed would ever ship. Once BF1942, and later BF2 were launched TF2 became pointless in its original concept because everything that was to be part of TF2 was in the battlefield series. Thus we end up with a cartoonish remake of the orginal. From looking at it right now I can't tell if it's better or not. I'm just really missing things like a full rocket jump from the soldier.
It isn't a clone of TFC, it is definitely the byproduct of a company working on it. Which is why I posted what I posted. I wanted to describe the delta between TFC and TF2.

satori
09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
anyone interested in a clan?