Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Totally Rad Show

Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
jtv

Default Well, JJ is directing Episode VII

For me, the success of this movie will be:

10% director
30% cast
60% story

aka that's how I'd also lay the blame percentages for the last three. Of course, Lucas was responsible for director and story so that's 70% his fault.

So they've still got a long way to go before I'm completely optimistic. The guy who wrote Toy Story 3 is writing it, but I still need to know what the plot will be about before I get too excited.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
gglynn00

All hail J.J., King of the Geeks!!!!

This is pretty cool news.

I was reading somewhere that they are going to have 3 different directors for each of the films. Hopefully, J.J. will set the tone/story for each of his successors.

It's just so cool that the same guy that directs the revitalized Star Trek is also undertaking Star Wars.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
rokov
Elite Member

I would have preferred Matthew Vaughn, but I'm optimistic about it. Abrams can't end a series to save his life, but I liked both of his movies.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
darth-ed

I'm not a fan of J.J. Abrams's movies. I know most people love it, but I think what he did to Star Trek was a travesty. I shudder at the thought of what he might do to Star Wars. For the record, Super 8 was pretty good, but far from perfect, so I suppose there's hope. I really don't get why Danny T. has such a hard-on for M:I3; I consider it to be rather mediocre. I would have preferred Zack Snyder or Matthew Vaughn, honestly.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
jtv

Zack Snyder? Ugh, god no.

I've liked 2.5 of the three Zack Snyder movies I've seen (300, Watchmen, and the dream sequences of Suckerpunch), but his style does not fit Star Wars at all.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
gm_wil
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to gm_wil Send a message via MSN to gm_wil

Cool. As a long time Star Trek fan I was thrilled with the new one (sorry darth), so I'm looking forward to his directing a STAR WARS flick . . . although, I kinda wish it would have been someone new because STAR WARS is dirty and used tech, not bright, shiny, pristine flashy tech with a ton of lens flares . . . but then again, he had to tackle a franchise that has a fan base that pre-dates star wars for the new Star Trek, so maybe he'll be able to cram more awesome into that space that was taken up by pressure the first time around . . . and make the new STAR WARS all the better - minus the lens flares.

Toy Story 3 writer? With a script that heavy with sentiment, thoughtfulness, and respect of the previous 2 movies . . . oh yeah, all for it.

(My brother just texted "I hope Lucas stays far away . . . far, far away.")

hahaha

I have only ONE request for the film that should be petitioned . . . just ONE simple request . . . have all the gungans you want, but for the love of all that is holy, NO WILHELM SCREAM! Please!

-

Last edited by gm_wil : 01-25-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 PM
stubadub
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth-ed View Post
I'm not a fan of J.J. Abrams's movies. I know most people love it, but I think what he did to Star Trek was a travesty. I shudder at the thought of what he might do to Star Wars. For the record, Super 8 was pretty good, but far from perfect, so I suppose there's hope. I really don't get why Danny T. has such a hard-on for M:I3; I consider it to be rather mediocre. I would have preferred Zack Snyder or Matthew Vaughn, honestly.
JJ's Star Trek was much different but I think it's far more successful that Star Trek 3,5(god that was terrible), 7, 9 and 10. I welcomed the new direction.

I think MI:3 is pretty great. I need to see it again post Ghost Protocol but I feel like its easily the best of the first 3, and I like De Palma's first film. I felt like at the time it was too overshadowed by Tom Cruise craziness for anyone to give it a chance. It seems like time has served it well because I hear a lot of people talk about it favorably these days.

I've only seen Super 8 once, but it was a movie that almost worked for me but didn't quite come together in the end.

I agree Matthew Vaughn would have been a great choice. I loved 300, Watchmen and the Dawn of the Dead remake, but for some reason I'm resistant to the idea of Snyder doing Star Wars.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM
gm_wil
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to gm_wil Send a message via MSN to gm_wil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubadub View Post
...but for some reason I'm resistant to the idea of Snyder doing Star Wars.
. . . I think a lot of people are "so-so" with him, but I bet Superman will finally be the clincher with their opinion of him . . .

-
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM
damnedeyez
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_wil View Post
. . . although, I kinda wish it would have been someone new because STAR WARS is dirty and used tech, not bright, shiny, pristine flashy tech with a ton of lens flares . . . but then again, he had to tackle a franchise that has a fan base that pre-dates star wars for the new Star Trek, so maybe he'll be able to cram more awesome into that space that was taken up by pressure the first time around . . . and make the new STAR WARS all the better - minus the lens flares.
I doubt he wouldn't at least sneak a few lens flare shots in there...but it depends on the story, whether or not it's new and pristine or dirty and repurposed.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
stubadub
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_wil View Post
. . . I think a lot of people are "so-so" with him, but I bet Superman will finally be the clincher with their opinion of him . . .

-
I wouldn't describe myself as so-so on him though. I've loved all 3 of his movies that I've seen (still haven't gotten around to watching Sucker Punch). When they announced he was doing Man of Steel I was very excited, and the trailers so far have only added to my excitement. But for some reason that I can't quite work out, I am not thrilled by the idea of a Zack Snyder directed Star Wars film.