Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > XLR8RTV

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Default need advice on a guitar.

wow this forum is quiet.

anyway this dude is offering me a Dean Electric Guitar - Vendetta 1.0 VN1 for my iphone 3g 16 gig. I asked him to throw in an amp.

my question is how do I know if it's a good guitar?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post
wow this forum is quiet.

anyway this dude is offering me a Dean Electric Guitar - Vendetta 1.0 VN1 for my iphone 3g 16 gig. I asked him to throw in an amp.

my question is how do I know if it's a good guitar?
hey there 2009 me Yeah that guy is a duche trying to sell you that weak ass guitar. Just wait another year and you'll find yourself to be the owner of a fender stratocaster with a pretty sick amp. You will however have to shell out 45 bucks to get the guitar up to par. so yeah that pretty much takes care of that.

oh and in case you are wondering, yes it's just a rash, no she was never into you, and yep your still sociably awkward.

regards,
2010 you

"Typing google into google will break the internet"
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM
neoxeekhrobe_hulkonnowolf

What I did with my guitar is that I removed the 4th wire(the one from the bottom, 3rd from top) and life was so easier after that. Of course I was unable to play it TRADITIONALLY(chords) but the same sounds or almost the same sounds, playing them was much easier. So if the 4th wire is missing, its hell of a guitar then.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxeekhrobe_hulkonnowolf View Post
What I did with my guitar is that I removed the 4th wire(the one from the bottom, 3rd from top) and life was so easier after that. Of course I was unable to play it TRADITIONALLY(chords) but the same sounds or almost the same sounds, playing them was much easier. So if the 4th wire is missing, its hell of a guitar then.
how was it easier?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM

I didn't had to practice that much and my left hand didn't had that to bend that much. It was much easier to distinguish the placing of each cord and that made it much more easier to play it.

Last edited by neoxeekhrobe_hulkonnowolf : 03-22-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 PM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
I didn't had to practice that much and my left hand didn't had that to bend that much. It was much easier to distinguish the placing of each cord and that made it much more easier to play it.
oh i see. the song i'm learning now uses that string so i don't have that choice,

Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
I think you mean it made it easer to almost learn, and as a beginner, it made no difference because it still sounded like crap.

Its hard. I am learning banjo. Unlike guitar with getting your finger position right for a chord, you also need to pay attention to your other hand - because it is plucking notes. Taking a string out of that would ruin the total rhythm of a finger roll.

If you are going to learn, you should learn without shortcuts. All you are doing be removing that string is forming bad habits that will be harder to break later on.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 AM

No, it didn't sounded bad because the best musicians make their own chords. And since I WANTED to make my own chords(rather than follow those traditional chords - have no intention of playing with a group, yet), it didn't mattered if I played a chord using the 1st, 3nd and the fifth chord OR going a bit higher on the stick and playing the 2nd cord instead of the 3rd, its sounded the same.

The idea is to enjoy, not to be enslaved. I don't have to earn money from running an orchestra, I don't and since I don't, I don't see the need why I should do it traditionally, those predefine sets of chords. Why not make my own and I did and it was really amazing and I made my own two songs. The fun, the freedom, the motivation was there and I was able to go two steps ahead and made songs rather than just playing some one else's song.

So, no, its not a shortcut, its a statement of survival. The best make their own chords and I want to be the best, while using another guitar to play with a group

Last edited by neoxeekhrobe_hulkonnowolf : 03-23-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post
I think you mean it made it easer to almost learn, and as a beginner, it made no difference because it still sounded like crap.

Its hard. I am learning banjo. Unlike guitar with getting your finger position right for a chord, you also need to pay attention to your other hand - because it is plucking notes. Taking a string out of that would ruin the total rhythm of a finger roll.

If you are going to learn, you should learn without shortcuts. All you are doing be removing that string is forming bad habits that will be harder to break later on.
If you form a band can I play the jug?

I'm the opposite. I got into playing guitar because I love the way those solo riffs sound in songs I listen too and I want to learn how to play those riffs.

In the end though Neoxe is right it's all about fun. The Mars Volta guys never learned how to play traditionally. they just picked up the guitars and played what sounded cool. I have to admit that I have more fun sitting there messing with the effects and hammering on my guitar than I do learning my fingering and chords (which by the way I now know 2, the C and G7. I really love how the C sounds with the distortion and gain high.)

Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

The jug is yours. Still looking for a washboard and spoons player. I you know someone that can play the jews/jaw harp thats a bonus.

Nothing wrong with playing for fun. I enjoy just sitting back with the banjo (I am not particularly good a it - just love the way it sounds) and play different combos of finger rolls while changing chords.

But you need to et some basics down. Playing with a string missing when you are learning is like driving a car that is missing 1st gear. Sure, you can get moving without it, but it makes it harder than it should be.