Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > AnimeTV

Old 02-20-2010, 03:38 AM
jsc315

Default So what was your first anime?

Yes I know every anime forum has one but I'm curious as to what got everyone into anime.

For me the first anime that I remember seeing was Ronin Warriors, Known in Japan as Yoroiden Samurai Troopers. I first remembered it airing on the Sci-fi channel during the summer of 1995. I loved this show as a kid. When i first watched this show I was so amazed! I had no idea anything like this was out there. It just struck me as something so different from all the other cartoons out there. It had violence, death, a plot, revenge, and sweet looking white lion. Who knew that this was the start of something new.At first I had no idea that it was an anime but was interested in the show and i soon later found out from friends that it came from japan. I've seen this anime at least 3 times now for as long as it is. It feels a bit dated and not the best anime ever but it has a real special place in my heart.

Then came DBZ and was sadly obsessed with this show in my youth. This was probably the first show that really got me into anime. I knew friends who watched it and because of this we started an anime club in our school. The anime club inspired a few of us to start fansubing on VHS tapes. It was a long and slow process an was a lot of work, though it was a lot of fun. This only lasted about a year or so and we never really sent out that many tapes, but there are still a few out there. I still have some love for DBZ and fansubing but have moved on from both and my tastes have changed a lot since then.

Then came Cowboy Bebop and Rurouni Kenshin. These show changed everything for me! I really came to appreciate anime for the amazing story and what anime can really do. To this date are among my favorites. In the early 2000's is where I became a huge fan of anime and have not stoped since then. I seen so many others in between all these other shows but these are all the shows that really were a first for me and what got me interested in anime.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 AM
slinkymeese

Pokemon was my first. =P Then followed by all the others that used to be shown on Saturday mornings, like Card Captor Sakura and others I can't currently remember. o.O Then I was introduced to Adult Swim, and quickly became obsessed with Inuyasha. I remember I hated DBZ and Yugioh (something that hasn't actually changed)

Sailormoon was also kinda one of the first ones, but it was really my first manga, then I caught a few episodes and was horrified by her voice, and never wanted to watch it again. ^^;
Old 02-20-2010, 04:16 AM
jsc315

I was so obsessed with Inuyasha! I was in my younger days when I had money to blow and not have a worry in the world. I bought a bootleg copy of the whole series from some guy on ebay at the time. I had watched maybe like 20 or 30 episodes at the time and when I received the show on like 100 blank CD's! ( I was stupid back then.) It took me about a month or so to watch all 167 episodes! I would watch like 6-10hours a day some nights! I would be up till some day 6am watching the show! I at most watch 2 hours of anime a week now. Times sure have changed.

Yea poor sailor moon. Up there with just bad dubs! Not sure what ADV was thinking. I have many of those VHS ADV first dubs when they first were starting out in the industry. Trust me, dubs were by far much worse then they used to be.

Last edited by jsc315 : 02-20-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 AM
guytheninja
Elite Member

This one is hard for me because I didn't watch a "first anime". I watched a whole set at once, and I frankly can't remember which one I watched first. The Scifi channel was my gateway to anime. I watched everything that was on this list:

http://www.eldar.org/~brad/anime/sfc/sfc.html

As far as I can remember, I liked all of it --- except for Robot Carnival. I thought Robot Carnival was boring.

On a side note though, I did watch anime before this, but I didn't know I was watching anime. (Weird huh).

A very long time ago, I used to watch Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics on Nick or Nick Jr. And, it was anime. LOL, I had no idea at the time; I thought it was just another cartoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm%2..._Tale_Classics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FgTbi_3dJ8
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 AM
jsc315

Maybe i was destened to be a anime fan. My mom was in love with Speed Racer when she was a kid and my dad always enjoyed Gigantor thought that show was an adaptation and not an original anime.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 AM
originalglitch

Send a message via AIM to originalglitch

I remember Voltron when I was like five.(my memory of this is kinda a blur) That was probably the first image of anime I probably encountered. I remember in the early 90's mtv showed bits of mature anime. My brother used to watch this and it would scare the hell out of me. XD
The first time I really got into an anime was key the metal idol. That was one awsome show.

Watch my nonsense;
http://www.youtube.com/user/takenoutofcontext
www.myspace.com/chibiriot
Old 02-20-2010, 05:28 AM
kaname08

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalglitch View Post
I remember Voltron when I was like five.(my memory of this is kinda a blur) That was probably the first image of anime I probably encountered. I remember in the early 90's mtv showed bits of mature anime. My brother used to watch this and it would scare the hell out of me. XD
The first time I really got into an anime was key the metal idol. That was one awsome show.
Interesting that you brought that up. For me...it was that plus a series that I vaguely remember in terms of the characters, but I remember the title. It's called Gatchaman.

Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors came after for me, then DBZ (first season), Pokemon, Digimon, and Gundam Wing.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 AM
slinkymeese

I've never owned Inuyasha at all, I was just completely obsessed with watching it EVERY NIGHT. xD Even if was an episode I had seen like, 5 times, I refused to go to bed without seeing it.
I should watch the subbed version of Sailor Moon at some point I suppose, and read the rest of the manga. =P I was like, 8 so my mom wouldn't buy me all of them, I just got the first two from my step-grandma (which I read over and over till the pages came loose and started falling out) and the third volume of SuperS (something like that) that my friend owned. Neither of our parents would buy us manga. ^^;
Old 02-20-2010, 07:16 AM
blacksymbiote
Elite Member

Send a message via MSN to blacksymbiote

Probably my first anime was Voltron, just like others have said. But again, being so young I wouldn't have known the difference, but it still stands out in my memory.

I watched Sailor Moon after school years later when that was on, but not all the time as I was always thinking "but this is a girl's show, right? I shouldn't be liking this..." so I pretty much forced myself to stop watching, even though I thought it was fun.

A few years into my high school life, I met a friend that truely introduced me to anime. It was at this point I learned this style of animation had a classification, and could be about pretty much anything under the sun. The first anime he showed me was Ranma 1/2. In fact I think it was one of the OAVs or a movie. It was the one where the whole cast goes on vacation to the ocean, and they end up getting kidnapped by some prince who wants to marry girl Ranma. I don't know which one it is other than that.

Many other series quickly followed, Bubblegum Crisis, Dominion Tank Police, Ninja Scroll, Akira, and of course DBZ was in there too, to name a few. I would watch any anime I could get my hands on or saw on tv. Especially anime movies. There was one really weird one where a robotic bed designed to take care of the elderly and coma patients comes to life and starts absorbing all technology around it. Weird movie.

And that's my story.

Xbox360 GamerTag = Mr Plan
PSN ID = BlackSymbiote_
Twitter : twitter.com/blacksymbiote

I watch a movie everyday & blog about it! http://www.2guys1movie.com
Old 02-20-2010, 01:26 PM
guytheninja
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytheninja
This one is hard for me because I didn't watch a "first anime". I watched a whole set at once, and I frankly can't remember which one I watched first. The Scifi channel was my gateway to anime. I watched everything that was on this list:

http://www.eldar.org/~brad/anime/sfc/sfc.html
I think my favorite was Dominion Tank Police. That anime had a humorous absurdity to it. Like Robocop, the crime had gotten so bad where heavy weaponry was necessary on a daily basis. It seemed like someone in that anime would have cried police brutality -- but no (especially when their house/car got shelled)!

Along with DTP, I liked 8man, Demon City Shinjuku, Iria, Armitage, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, and Venus Wars. I thought they were all A+ anime. The rest of them (minus Robot Carnival) I gave them a B+.

Last edited by Guytheninja : 02-20-2010 at 01:29 PM.