Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > iFanboy

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
sidach

Default can anyone recommend traditional noir?

hi
i've been looking for a traditional noir comic that largely conforms to the characteristics of traditional b/w noir, yet alot of those listed on the internet appear to lossely confrom to what could be termed noir, and are often just crime stories. The books i'm looking for are not all that noir is, but i would like to find a book that has the cynical grizzled cop, corruption and morally dubious female lead, plot twists etc. any suggestions welcome. thanks

simon
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM
doddsickle

I've been looking for something similar and have come across this:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/13-909/Noir-TPB

I'm not sure how accurate it is to what you're looking for and obviously I can't vouch for it as I haven't read it yet but it looks interesting nonetheless.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
neb
Elite Member

Off the top of my head, there aren't too many comics like that these days. Maybe I'm completely missing something, but here's a couple recommendations:

Whiteout- Forget the movie that came out last year. It was bunk compared to this awesome comic story. The cynical cop is female, and the plot has plenty of twists. Good stuff.

Criminal- These are seriously some great comics. They don't follow cops, per se, but the leads are broken men and women who can't seem to escape their own destiny. Written by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, these are seriously good comics.

Sin City- Again, these don't feature cops, but this is some fine noir comics from Frank Miller. Each volume is filled to the brim with corruption, dames, and dramatic plot twists. They're also beautiful and feature some of Miller's finest work.

Torso and Goldfish- These are independent comics by Brian Michael Bendis. They're more true crime, but they are filled with police procedural and corruption. They're about the mob and murder after all. I personally haven't read either of these, but I've heard nothing but good things.

If you're looking for something with a superhero bent:

Gotham Central- Incredible series that follows the cops of the Gotham City Police Department. While set in Batman's city, this is a grounded police procedural about how the cops catch Batman's villains. Really great stuff.

Top 10- A crime comic that takes place in a city comprised of people with powers. This series is written by Alan Moore, and it's a really grounded cop drama wrapped in the guise of superheroics. It's a really fun and great crime comic with the mysteries completely surprising the reader.

In a world gone mad, only a true lunatic could be considered insane.

Xbox Live: TheNebinator
PSN: TheNebinator

Last edited by neb : 09-01-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
yetihands

sin city is the closest thing you're gonna get to traditional noir these days. next best is gonna be criminal.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
johnferrigno

It's probably closer to a crime story than traditional Noir, and there isn't really a cop, but AKA Goldfish by Bendis is excellent and might be something you'll enjoy. But the closest you are going to get is Sin City.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
yetihands

it doesn't need to have a cop in it to be noir.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 AM
johnferrigno

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetihands View Post
it doesn't need to have a cop in it to be noir.
No, not at all. You are correct. But the OP wanted a story in a noir style with a grizzled cop in it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM
sidach

Noir is quite a big term, but it is this narrow particular style that i am after. Obviously if not a cop it could be a private investigator, more traditional to those b/w movies. Many thanks for your replies, i will be checking out some of the books suggested.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM
kkrakk

The Last Days of American Crime by Rick Remender is pretty amazing reading
Blue Estate is fantastic
Hawaiian Dick
Near Death

Just to drop a couple more titles in there
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM
manni

It's been a long time since the last posts, I know. But since I still find it interesting and I've been glad to have found some new titles round here, so I might drop some as well:
1. Torpedo
2. Blacksad
3.Criminal

I think these are amazing and absolutely worth being mentioned.

Last edited by manni : 02-04-2013 at 09:18 AM.