Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > The Ben Heck Show

Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 AM
skyhopper88

Default Viewer Challenge Proposal:"One handed" Wiimote/nunchuck

Long time watcher first time poster, love the show. In fact I love it so much I'm going to give you a challenge! As the Wii U is coming out I look at my Wii and think, "there are lot of games I haven't gotten to play". Not because I haven't gotten around to it, but because there are some that I can't play with their unique controls.

I have cerebral palsy in my left limbs and am only able to use my right hand for gaming to push buttons and move analog sticks. For most game consoles I have no problem adapting to using just my right hand. But the Wii poses some issues for me when games use the Wii remote and the nunchuck. I cannot use the buttons and analog stick on the nunchuk with my left hand, and my right hand that I usually do all that with is using the remote. But I can move the nunchuck with my left hand, and it's therapeutic too. Needless to say this limits the games and genres I can play on it.

I'll try not to do all of the groundwork for you, but here is the idea I've been toying with. Basically I want to move the analog stick and buttons from the nunchuck and place them on the remote so I could operate them with my right hand. The stick could be put on top of the A button (have it be like an L3 or R3 click on other controllers, or maybe even the PSP or NDS "nub"). Z could be be mounted on the left side of the Wii remote just in line with the top of the speaker for use with the right middle finger. And C in line with the 1 button for use with the right ring finger. Here are some pictures that give a rough idea.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...mp/Wiimote.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...motemockup.png