Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Totally Rad Show

Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
avsreaper

Default Where would one start with the Star Wars Books?

The Star Wars discussion made me somewhat interested in reading the books. If you look for star wars books on Amazon, there are thousands of results. Looking for some advice. I have watched all the movies but am not a super fan by any means. If I were to pick a book, where should I start?

Doing some online research... Thrawn Trilogy seems to be one possibility...

Last edited by avsreaper : 11-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
rokov
Elite Member

I would say start with The Trawn Trilogy. They take place very shortly after Ep. VI so you don't need any backstory aside from the movies, they introduce characters who will go on to be very important (particularly Mara Jade) and they're probably the best of all of the Star Wars books.

Last edited by rokov : 11-08-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
darth-ed

Start with the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. The Jedi Academy books by Kevin J. Anderson are pretty good, too, as are the Rogue Squadron/X-Wing series by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston.

After the success of the Thrawn books, Del Rey kind of flooded the market with Star Wars books of decreasing quality. Be way of anything published from 1995-1999. Truce at Bakura and The Courtship of Princess Leia, for example, are really awful.

Eventually, they got an editor who said we need to plan these books out, and they started to get better. And that's how the New Jedi Order series came to be. That's the Jaina and Jacen Solo series. They killed off Chewbacca in the first book of that series (R.A. Salvatore very much regrets killing off Chewbacca, by the way), so I never read them, but I have friends who have. If you can get past them killing off such a beloved character rather arbitrarily and you don't get too attached to any of the next generation characters, the New Jedi Order series is supposed to be very good, according to my friends who have read them. Unfortunately, that series just gets darker as it goes on and even more characters are killed off. Some of my friends didn't really like where the series went, but most of them agree that Aaron Allston's writing on the series is very good.

If you don't mind reading Young Adult books, the pre-Episode-I Jedi Apprentice series is fantastic. They tell the story of a young Obi-Wan as Qui-Gon's padawan. Surprisingly good stuff, but clearly Young Adult.

If you read comics, track down the Dark Empire mini-series published by Dark Horse in the early '90s (pre-Thrawn). Awesome stuff. But I don't think they really fit into the official Star Wars Expanded Universe continuity anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_novels

Last edited by darth-ed : 11-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
jtv

The Thrawn Trilogy and Shadows of the Empire are the only ones I've read, but I agree that Thrawn is the place to start. It picks up a few years after Jedi so everything will seem familiar.

It also gave me two of my favorite bits of SW trivia. I won't spoil anything, but I'm talking about the role a Sith Emperor plays in a space battle, and the funny scene when Leia arrives on Kashyyyk.

Sidenote: My spellcheck is yelling at me about Thrawn, Sith, and Kashyyyk, but apparently it recognizes Leia lol
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
avsreaper

Thanks for the responses! I'll check this Thrawn trilogy out! Much appreciated. I am curious how well they hold up these days. Hoping they are still cool.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
heyseuss
Elite Member

The logical answer is, once upon a time .....
Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
darth-ed

Timothy Zahn does a very good job with the Thrawn books, but he had a couple writing tics that I found annoying. He had characters say "drop the hammer" like 5 or 6 times over the course of three books. No Star Wars character ever said "drop the hammer" in any of the movies.

Zahn autographed my first edition hardcovers of the Thrawn trilogy, so I probably shouldn't say anything bad about him.