Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Totally Rad Show

Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Default 2013 - Goals for The Year Ahead

A New Year brings new life and new promises.

We won't call them resolutions, but what are you looking to achieve in 2013?

Personally:

1. Lose weight. I say that every year, but I started early this year (day after Xmas), and turned it into a game using a FitBit and a set of Aria scales. Tech toys that help me unlock achievements. Goal is down 70lb by September. 1 week in, and its working, lets see if its still working after a month
2. 3 published papers. I went back to grad school last semester. Want to turn two projects from last semester into journal articles or conference papers, with a aim to identify and write another paper later in the year. Time to start building my publication count.
3. Develop an Android app.
4. Complete the Couch to 5K program ... and see where I can go from there. Jeff kinda inspired me on this. I want to get a marathon under my belt - might not be this year (I really am not in great shape), but I'd like to be well on the way for 2014. I'd like to do the local half marathon ion 2013 though.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM
tsmith15
Elite Member

I just want to have more fun.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
damnedeyez
Elite Member

Moderation...less of what I do to much of, more of what I don't do enough of.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Loose weight and get my Cisco voice certification. I want to not be working 2 jobs by the end of the year.

"Typing google into google will break the internet"
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 AM
darth-ed

I'd certainly like to lose some weight and get back to weightlifting. I used to go to the gym all the time, but things got busy and I fell out of the habit. I'd like get back into it again. I said the same thing last year, and I didn't do a damn thing.

In my experience, the best way to lose weight, is through weightlifting. Changing your diet only works for a while. Aerobic exercise will only help you lose a little. (I ran 3-4 times per week for 4 months, and I lost maybe 5 pounds before I switched to weightlifting.) If you want to shed a lot of pounds, hit the weights. You should combine weightlifting with some aerobic exercise as well (15-20 minutes), but spend the bulk of your effort on weightlifting. At first, the weightlifting will cause you to gain weight. Don't worry. That's because muscle weighs more than fat. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is. While you're weightlifting, be sure to increase the weight you're lifting every 2 weeks by 5-10 pounds to build up muscle. After 3-4 weeks of regular weightlifting (even just 30-45 minutes every other day), you'll reach a tipping point where your metabolic rate exceeds your normal caloric intake. At that point, the pounds will come off at the rate of about 3-4 pounds per week at least. I lost 70 pounds over the course of less than a year. It can be done, and it really doesn't take that much time. It just takes commitment to fit it into your schedule. I writing this all out as much to psych myself up for it, but I hope it helps someone.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth-ed View Post
I'd certainly like to lose some weight and get back to weightlifting. I used to go to the gym all the time, but things got busy and I fell out of the habit. I'd like get back into it again. I said the same thing last year, and I didn't do a damn thing.

In my experience, the best way to lose weight, is through weightlifting. Changing your diet only works for a while. Aerobic exercise will only help you lose a little. (I ran 3-4 times per week for 4 months, and I lost maybe 5 pounds before I switched to weightlifting.) If you want to shed a lot of pounds, hit the weights. You should combine weightlifting with some aerobic exercise as well (15-20 minutes), but spend the bulk of your effort on weightlifting. At first, the weightlifting will cause you to gain weight. Don't worry. That's because muscle weighs more than fat. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is. While you're weightlifting, be sure to increase the weight you're lifting every 2 weeks by 5-10 pounds to build up muscle. After 3-4 weeks of regular weightlifting (even just 30-45 minutes every other day), you'll reach a tipping point where your metabolic rate exceeds your normal caloric intake. At that point, the pounds will come off at the rate of about 3-4 pounds per week at least. I lost 70 pounds over the course of less than a year. It can be done, and it really doesn't take that much time. It just takes commitment to fit it into your schedule. I writing this all out as much to psych myself up for it, but I hope it helps someone.
I totally agree. I wish I could get my girlfriend into weight training. I suggested dual gym membership but she yelled at me.

As for me I am following tokens idea and doing the c25k plan to start. After I get a car i'll see about joining a 24 hour gym because with my schedule id only be able to work out at 5am. Most places open at 6.

"Typing google into google will break the internet"
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
tsmith15
Elite Member

Most people who want to lose weight don't actually want to lose weight, they want to get in better shape and they're just using the wrong word choice. If you look at Christian Bale in the Batman movies and think that's something you would like to look like, realize he weighed over 200 pounds for those movies because of his muscles. There's a huge difference between a buff 200lbs and a couch potato 200lbs.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith15 View Post
Most people who want to lose weight don't actually want to lose weight, they want to get in better shape and they're just using the wrong word choice. If you look at Christian Bale in the Batman movies and think that's something you would like to look like, realize he weighed over 200 pounds for those movies because of his muscles. There's a huge difference between a buff 200lbs and a couch potato 200lbs.
Nope. I actually want/need to lose weight

I hit 260lb - and that is about 80lb too high. My initial goal is to lose 10% (26lb), then another 10% (24lb), then another 10% (21lb). That will bring me in a little under 190lb ... and at that point its 10lb to 180lb.

Taking nibbles out of the weight helps. Losing 70-80lb is a lot, but losing 10-25lb is still a target, and nowhere near as daunting. I just need to do it multiple times

If I happen to get into shape along the way, so be it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM
jtv

I don't weigh myself, but I'm sure I'm well over 200 lbs now, which is way more than I want to be. I'm 36 now and it's just so hard to keep weight off.

I actually enjoy running outside (not the act itself, but how it makes me feel so much better). Problem is I live in Boston, so for a good 4 to 5 months a year running outside isn't an option. And I'm not gonna pay for a gym membership just to use the treadmill (which I don't like running on anyway).
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
darth-ed

Yeah, I hate treadmills, too. I like the Stairmaster though. Unfortunately, they're a dying breed. Most gyms have switched to ellipticals (lower impact), but I don't really care for those.