Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 PM
serafina
Revision3 Staff

Default Episode 93 - Netbook Buyers Guide! Amazing HDR Photography You Can Make, Perfect Portable Drive, Add A Third Monitor, Track the Kogi Korean BBQ Truck! [Discuss]

Free Software Finds Lost Drive Space. Tripit: Make An Instant Itinerary, High Dynamic Range Photos Look Gorgeous. Netbook Guide: from Hackintosh to Long Battery Life, Everything You Need To Know Before Buying.

Watch or download this episode here

Time you enjoyed wasting, wasn't wasted
--Lennon
Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
fsugino

Is something up with the Rev3 distribution server? I'm getting horrendous download rates on this latest episode. What usually takes a couple of minutes is now projected at four hours via iTunes.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM
aerotive

Very slow for me too. Getting about 50KB/sec, usually get 600KB/sec.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 AM
computoman

Video is ok for me and works better than before.

Roger may want to upgrade his version of the gimp.

If people who manufacture laptops and etc were not so secret about the hardware,, battery life on linux would probably longer than mswindows. Maybe people who use linux are able to do more and therefore might be less batterylife. Linux can be sreamlined to use less battery. The issue of battery life is being addressed. Also most peop-le who run linux on a laptop are using the desktop version of the os that is not set up for for use with laptops. That is part of the reason for the shorter life.

http://beyondteck.blogspot.com/2009/...ux-laptop.html

Microsoft trying to regulate the size of laptops is allegedly outrought corporate bullying. But then it is not surprizing they have been allegedly found to be a monopoly in several major countries including the US around the world. It is a shame the DOJ, does not have the guts to intervene in this matter. I do not care what the people in Redmond want. Economics will decide what is best for consumers, not Redmond.

It is nice to know that Tekzilla uses Apple OSX on generic pc's. What kind of Apple label do you put on the Hackintoshes?

Last edited by computoman : 06-19-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 AM
dark_shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
Microsoft trying to regulate the size of laptops is allegedly outrought corporate bullying. But then it is not surprizing they have been allegedly found to be a monopoly in several major countries including the US around the world. It is a shame the DOJ, does not have the guts to intervene in this matter. I do not care what the people in Redmond want. Economics will decide what is best for consumers, not Redmond.
Do you actually understand what MS is doing? I don't think you do. All MS said is that after a certain size they no longer consider a netbook a netbook but instead a laptop. Thus the company has to pay for a version of Win7 other than Starter.

What makes you think this is wrong or illegal?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
fee

Cool episode. I like the HDR segment pretty cool!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 PM
kzap
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Shroud View Post
Do you actually understand what MS is doing? I don't think you do. All MS said is that after a certain size they no longer consider a netbook a netbook but instead a laptop. Thus the company has to pay for a version of Win7 other than Starter.

What makes you think this is wrong or illegal?
They want to force you to pay more if you have a faster PC even though it doesn't cost them anything.
It doesn't cost them more to make Windows work on a faster PC they just charge more for the OS because they can.
They want people to use Windows on Netbooks instead of Linux so they offer it cheaper but only if the company keep the PCs slow.
That seems like corporate bully tactics to me, undercutting the competition and then inflicting rules on the market that benefit them.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 AM
donttrip700

Default OS X on an Eee PC 900a?

I've got a 900a with a 32GB SSD that's currently running Ubuntu. Has anybody successfully installed OS X on one of these? I'd love to have a nice tiny Mac so I don't have to lug around my Macbook Pro. It should be especially nice once Snow Leopard comes along and is smaller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

Great show! I'm going to have to play with some of that HDR photo software this weekend.

On the discussion about DVRs and external drives. I don't know about moving the security card on DirecTV receivers, but I can tell you for certain that will not work on Dish Network receivers. On a Dish receiver the card is "married" to a specific receiver. Sticking it in another receiver will merely get you a screen that says words to the effect of "this is the wrong damned card, put the right one back in". Even if its identical receivers, and even if both receivers are on the same account.

As for Microsoft restricting hardware, yeah, that sucks. They should be open and unrestricted like Apple is

And even though Patrick implied in the opening that everyone should be eating turkey, I was actually having tacos. I hope that's okay.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
kzap
Elite Member

On the topic of Netbooks I LOVE my Eeepc 701.
It's slow but I have been through a lot with it and it still works well, and for browsing and word processing (all I use it for) do you really need more?
I've seen some 300 netbooks and I think it's just silly for what people use them for.
The only think I like about them is the bigger screens but you don't need it for word processing.
I get about 4 hours out of my EeePC in lessons, thats on Ubuntu 8.10 in Open Office 2.4 (not got around to upgrading) with brightness down to a level were I can comfortable see the black text on white backgroud (I think it's 2nd or third lowest).
The only thing that went wrong with my EeePC was when I broke the screen but it wasn't that hard to install a new one myself it did voide the warrenty though but who actually uses those?
I buy a PC I'm going to open it up eventually just cos.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)