Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 AM
jackierulesall
Miss Webmaster

Default Episode 131: 6 Cores, No Waiting. The Core i7-980X Is FAST! 7 Ways To Recycle That Junk PC! Fitbit & More [Discussion]

Opera Unite: The DIY Pogoplug? VirtualBox: Run A Second OS For Free! Veronica Reviews the FitBit. 7 ways to recycle that old pc... from MAME toy to hard core security tool. Is That Food Safe? Check StillTasty! It's a 6 Core Monster: Loyd Case is back with the scoop on Intel's new top of the line CPU... and some help picking a low cost Core i7, too!

Watch or download now!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 AM
burnedtubes

Default The MAME Machine is no more!!!!

Awww man that was my favorite build on SYSTM. It's too bad it's no more. Anyways great episode.

RIP Epic MAME Build... you will be missed.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 AM
quagga

If you like monowall and are running it on a "fat" client, pfsense would be an excellent start. pfsense.org. I run it on an embedded system.

Honestly I wouldn't run a P4 as my router given its heat/energy costs. I benched my new netbook with a CULV Core 2 in it against my work computer with a P4 today. The netbook is faster. Go work 4 year upgrade cycle! Sigh.

Still Tasty sounds like the road to food poisoning ... heh.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 AM
computoman

Agree with you about not using a p4 as a router.. File/media/webserver/gaming machine is a better choice. That being said a router setup could be used in a virtual machine with any of the aforementioned firewalls. I have installed openwrt (a cousin of dd-wrt).for x86 with qemu (open source virtual machine software) on a p4.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 AM
aerotive

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5...lpsychosis.gif
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotive View Post
lol!

Great episode guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 AM
nav13eh

Quote:
I knew someone would do it.
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
veronicazilla
Show Host

Quote:
BWAAAHAHAHAHA!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 AM
computoman

I would like to commend Veronica for the treatment of older computers and how valuable they are. Actually our newest computers are p4's and we consider anything pre Pentium III as old. We play a lot of java/javascript games being pushed by an old dell gx1 pentium 2. via apache. In fact with apache we run a host of web based apps for our business including erp(formerly known as accounting), eyeos, wordpress, drupal, moodle, Gallery2, and loads of our own in house applications. There is even a c=64 emu;ator for java that will let you program int he old cbm basic. The p2's with firefly make great itunes compatible servers. XBMC connects to it like a duck to water. We have mediatomb installed but do not use it that much. We use p1's for robotic projects. We ran mythtv on a pIII for a long time. The latest version of mythtv needs up to date hardware.

Caveat emptor:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...e_Core_i7_chip,.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 AM
commdoctor

Default "Junk" P4's

The reference to old clunker P4 machines hurt a bit.

As I sit here with my P4 -- enjoying Windows 7 and Firefox and Adobe Creative Suite and Office 2007 -- I can't help but wonder how many folks are still happily running their P4 machines. I can't be the only geek that revels in squeezing every last drop of life out of a PC before consigning it to the closet (as a NAS or a dust collector).

On the other hand, the P3 (running Windows 98!) on the other end of my desk is getting a bit long in the tooth. Maybe I should upgrade it to XP. That probably wouldn't be fair to its 11-year-old, 27-Gb hard drive, though. :-)

Sigh . . . if my computers were cars, they'd have fins and chrome.