Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Totally Rad Show

Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM
trsjeff
Show Host

Default TRS for Wednesday, Sept 22 - D&D Encounters

The fine folks at Wizards of the Coast set Alex, Dan, and Jeff up with the first of the brand new Encounters D&D scenarios. So they grab their DM, Mike Rizzo, and head over to Game Empire in Pasadena to get some table top role playing in. Friend of the show and star of Nickelodeon's iCarly, Jerry Trainor, sits joins in on the hack n' slash fun.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM
royterp

Send a message via AIM to royterp Send a message via MSN to royterp Send a message via Yahoo to royterp Send a message via Skype™ to royterp

Now this is the kind of stuff I hope to see more of with the new format--the off-green-screen segments outside of the constraints of a studiogarage. Now, I'm not going to say it was too short... <cough>

One question, though: are there "encounters" with higher-level characters? It seems having such a limited character might be frustrating for, say, a certain Nickelodeon star (although the spell actually turned out to be pretty useful). Perhaps a video-game-style beginning would be fun, i.e., play a first encounter with powerful awesomeness only to be knocked down and have to level back up over the course of successive encounters. No doubt this would be heresy to D&D purists, but it might be fun to have a glimpse of how a character could end up eventually.

All in all, this episode makes me want to try to film some of the marathon D&D sessions that we have, although editing would be a nightmare.

My TRS montages: You've Got a Friend in TRS and Hey, A (TRS) Movie! (Steve-tastic Comic-Con edition)

"I roll twenties... about 5% of the time."
Old 09-22-2010, 04:10 PM
damnedeyez
Elite Member

It seemed too short...but in this case it's because I would've been happy seeing the whole encounter played without editing. (Though i was distracted briefly by people in the background.)
Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 PM
spaz19943

I don't know. This one seemed liked one big ad for D&D to me. It probably will not be a big deal to most people but I don't like it when shows do this (not just TRS). It would have been different if it was just the guys sitting around and playing the game on their own.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 PM
dannyt
Show Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz19943 View Post
I don't know. This one seemed liked one big ad for D&D to me. It probably will not be a big deal to most people but I don't like it when shows do this (not just TRS). It would have been different if it was just the guys sitting around and playing the game on their own.
I know how you feel...but I'd encourage you to check out episodes 2 and 56 (where we also play d&d, unsponsored) and lemme know if you think there's a difference. *hint: there isn't.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
spaz19943

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
I know how you feel...but I'd encourage you to check out episodes 2 and 56 (where we also play d&d, unsponsored) and lemme know if you think there's a difference. *hint: there isn't.
Oh, I don't think you guys acted any differently because you were sponsored. It is just the idea in general. Everything from the placement of the box on the table to the guy wearing the D&D shirt irked me. Like I said, it is just a pet peeve of mine and it probably won't bother most people.

I still like the show but undecided about new format. I think that is mostly because the episodes this week just have not really interested me so far. Nothing to do with the format, just the topics themselves. I think I am one of the few people to never have played any of the Halo games and had no interest in seeing The Town to begin with.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 PM
jtv

Goggins!

That is all.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM
primedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz19943 View Post
Oh, I don't think you guys acted any differently because you were sponsored. It is just the idea in general. Everything from the placement of the box on the table to the guy wearing the D&D shirt irked me. Like I said, it is just a pet peeve of mine and it probably won't bother most people.

I still like the show but undecided about new format. I think that is mostly because the episodes this week just have not really interested me so far. Nothing to do with the format, just the topics themselves. I think I am one of the few people to never have played any of the Halo games and had no interest in seeing The Town to begin with.
so basically they where fucked to begin with....! what they need is more cowbell!!!

tough crowd

reading all this negative reviews about minor things makes me feel better about my job and the people I work with.

just wondering how many people actually watch the show I listen to it every so often if they start loosing it i'll look at the screen but for the most part I don't watch it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
slagster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
I am curious though in the past there have been games i really wanted to hear you do a review of but they were sponsors so you guys didn't review them. So how do you guys decide on what sponsors get a review or segment?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM
trsjeff
Show Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagster View Post
I am curious though in the past there have been games i really wanted to hear you do a review of but they were sponsors so you guys didn't review them. So how do you guys decide on what sponsors get a review or segment?
We don't want to cover one of our sponsors in a regular review segment, but as a sponsorship the folks at Wizards asked us to play the encounter. As we have done for the last three years, we are always trying to find interesting ways to incorporate sponsorship content (see Bungie jumping, sword fighting, visiting LA movie locations, and many many more).

-Jeff