Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM
serafina
Revision3 Staff

Default Episode 161: Best Digital Camera Deals, Tekzilla in Space, Photokina! Boot Problems? Microsoft Live Moving On. TiVo Love, Xmarks No More, SugarSync [Discussion]

What To Do When Your PC Won't Boot! Lori Grunin's back the with the digital camera news from Photokina! Worst Set Top Box Ever??? Google TV: Amazon Video on Demand, NBC, HBO, NBA, TBS, TNT, CNN and Cartoon Network are on Board! G4 vs. SnowLeopard. Can SugarSync Replace Xmarks? Best Time To Buy A New Camera.

Watch or download this episode here

Time you enjoyed wasting, wasn't wasted
--Lennon
Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 PM
quagga

Ok, the AppleTV may be easier to use if you're an iTunes user and in that zone. However that Playon box isn't exactly rocket science. It'll play from a Windows share or from uPNP streaming. So that means its about as hard as an Xbox. To call posts which have screenshots with the exact commands to enter "jibberish" is nonsense. If we're at the point where people can't follow along the pretty pictures ...

"I like plain text" is the best thing Veronica has ever said. On anyone in reference to email.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 PM
computoman

We use a local private web server to keep all our bookmarks on. We also have quite a bit of web application such as eyeOS (web based desktop) and other apps (http://www.instructables.com/id/Uses...private-cloud/).. Saves the worry of what software is on what system and great for using diskless thin clients (dirt cheap on ebay).. Saves buying a lot of computers for the mini-lab where friends and I do teaching.

My brother loves his Roku. i just used old pc's as clients for the time being.

Wordpress and M$.. Closed my web page on Wordpress after that. Wordpress will probably get removed from our private web server. Lots of replacements that are true open source.

It's supper time, so more later...
Old 10-09-2010, 01:59 AM
quagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
Wordpress and M$.. Closed my web page on Wordpress after that. Wordpress will probably get removed from our private web server. Lots of replacements that are true open source.
But ... Wordpress is GPL'ed. It's a FSF-License and OSI approved. Some would argue you don't get any more Open Sourced than that.

And MS is (to my knowledge) just dumping users onto the Wordpress system; not having any real dealings with it. While I don't particularly care for Wordpress (Jekyll is where it's at!) but it is certainly Open Sourced and used by a great many organizations in a great many configurations.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:26 AM
computoman

We shall see...... Did not Miguel de Icaza say that about mono?

Last edited by computoman : 10-09-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:30 PM
quagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by computoman View Post
We shall see...... Did not Miguel de Icaza say that about mono?
Well this isn't the same thing. Mono is an impersonation of a Microsoft standard that will forever be chasing Microsoft's defacto standard. It's also a bloated buggy POS which really isn't need in the Linux world given the existence of Perl, Python and Ruby. Linux has better solutions than Mono; that's why everyone avoids it like the plague.

Microsoft giving up and just dropping its users onto Wordpress which Wordpress has nothing to do with other than to be happy for the business is a different situation. If Microsoft gave up on Windows and moved all of their user base over to Linux would that suddenly mean Linux was not Open Source?

(Yes, I realize that'll never happen but its a similar example).
Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 AM
computoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagga View Post
Well this isn't the same thing. Mono is an impersonation of a Microsoft standard that will forever be chasing Microsoft's defacto standard. It's also a bloated buggy POS which really isn't need in the Linux world given the existence of Perl, Python and Ruby. Linux has better solutions than Mono; that's why everyone avoids it like the plague.

Microsoft giving up and just dropping its users onto Wordpress which Wordpress has nothing to do with other than to be happy for the business is a different situation. If Microsoft gave up on Windows and moved all of their user base over to Linux would that suddenly mean Linux was not Open Source?

(Yes, I realise that'll never happen but its a similar example).
MS may have a financial interest in Wordpress. From what I have seen, MS poisons everything they touch..

Originally MS had no financial involvement with MONO, but. it does now. I do agree that mono has many shortcomings. I remove mono on gnome based systems. Though It is supposed to be better now. http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...t-for-c-40.ars Considering the source, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

If MS started investing in Linux, Yes I would say the same thing. One of the reasons I will not touch Suse from MS puppet Novell. any more.
Another poisoning: (Novell was being sold for financial reasons).

"Extend, embrace, and extinguish" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace...and_extinguish

Last edited by computoman : 10-10-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:22 AM
brudus

I got 50 dollars to throw into the pot for roger to tell us what blooper Veronica said she would quit over.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:38 PM
trunolimit
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudus View Post
I got 50 dollars to throw into the pot for roger to tell us what blooper Veronica said she would quit over.
I'll match your 50. I too would love to know what she would have quit over.

alas it might remain on of those rev3 mysteries like the downfall of geekdrome or where foodmob went.

"Typing google into google will break the internet"
Old 10-10-2010, 05:14 PM
notthetup

Talking

I'll match it as well.. Now we've 150.. Anyone willing to tell us??

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post
I'll match your 50. I too would love to know what she would have quit over.

alas it might remain on of those rev3 mysteries like the downfall of geekdrome or where foodmob went.