Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 AM
jackierulesall
Miss Webmaster

Default Episode 174: HBO without Cable, Free Defrag Speeds Up Windows! Panasonic TC-L42D2 Review, Veebeam Set Top Box? RSS 101, Partitioning RAID [Discussion]

Google's Chrome Notebook, the Cr-48. What's that Yellow Halo Around Veronica? Easy Drive Imaging, Veebeam: wireless video from your PC to your HDTV, the best laptop to run Photoshop, How to get HBO without a cable subscription, Panasonic's First LED LCD, the TC-L42D2 and the new releases for December 14th, 2010.

Watch or download now!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:14 AM
timmers

Talking Funny

Anyone Notice on the blu-ray releases, Robert repeats the Gacy Files extra. @ 21:55.

And again at 22:07. Funny.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
davisan

And how many times has defrag been mentioned on tekzilla and then debunked by real IT people..Show writers need to be tested for Alzheimer's disease.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

I also tend to not watch an episodic series until the season is done, but for a different reason than Robert's. My reason is because I'm tired of getting in to a new series after the first couple or three episodes and then the Powers That Be decide to yank it off the air, leaving the story unfinished and in limbo. "Defying Gravity" would be a perfect example.

Its my personal opinion that while Gparted works great for manipulating partitions on a drive, Clonezilla works better for moving the contents of a drive to another one.

I'm going to echo the thoughts of the previous reply. Back in the days of Windows 95 and 98, etc, defragging was a must. Under Windows XP/Vista/7, eh, not so much.

The idea that Adobe software somehow runs better on a Mac is a myth. And the days that Macs ruled in multimedia creation houses have been over for at least a decade. I'm not saying that Macs are not popular with graphics creators, I'm just saying PCs vastly outnumber them, even in multimedia applications.

And yes, you can partition a RAID array. As far as the OS is concerned the array is just another hard drive. However, there is one "gotcha". Depending on what hardware or software RAID you use, it may be a royal pain to *boot* from a partition in the RAID array. And RAID is not backup.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM
mattburley

Please replace Robert's camera the problem is getting worse! If you have to steal one from another show's studio :P
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 PM
ghelyar

If you think you've fixed the camera you are blind. Does anyone over there even bother to watch the episode? Get a new one. I'm sure it doesn't have to be some fancy-ass RED camera or something.

For defragmentation, NTFS benefits from defragmentation on mechanical drives but Vista and 7 schedule it to run in the background during idle and in the middle of the night anyway. Just leave it on the default settings and it should be fine.

The EXT filesystem on Linux does fragment files but performance doesn't really degrade when it is fragmented, so it isn't an issue. Performance does drop drastically when there is very little free space though (something like 5% free).

Speaking of sync in the Ford ad, it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmoo View Post
And yes, you can partition a RAID array. As far as the OS is concerned the array is just another hard drive. However, there is one "gotcha". Depending on what hardware or software RAID you use, it may be a royal pain to *boot* from a partition in the RAID array. And RAID is not backup.
Another "gotcha" is that, as with any very large drives, you may have issues partitioning it. For 2TB+ drives (including RAID arrays) you need to use GPT not MBR, and some filesystems will not work well either. I couldn't even create a 1.5TB NTFS partition in Vista when 1.5TB drives were new, it just failed inexplicably. I had to use GParted to do it, and then setting the cluster size to 64k (big drive, used for few big files rather than many small files) meant dropping down into the terminal to get it right anyway.

Last edited by ghelyar : 12-14-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:17 PM
fastcompjason

I agree, I have still seen this issue on this exact episode! I have noticed that it is the camera placed on the viewers (audience) left side of center and pointed towards Veronica for close up. It is a strange problem where the slight shadows from your overhead lighting casting shadows on the face are yellow instead of being darker like they should be. I have also looked at Episode 175 and it is still there with Veronica back on the set and it is very distracting to the viewer. Please fix that camera.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburley View Post
Please replace Robert's camera the problem is getting worse! If you have to steal one from another show's studio :P
Psst. They are shot in the same studio.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:40 PM
serafina
Revision3 Staff

We are aware of the camera issue, but as I've said in a previous thread, it's too complicated/expensive/time consuming to fix immediately. It's on our radar, and we're working towards a fix, but for now, you're going to have to bear with us. My deepest apologies.

Time you enjoyed wasting, wasn't wasted
--Lennon
Old 12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
ricekrispies

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmers View Post
Anyone Notice on the blu-ray releases, Robert repeats the Gacy Files extra. @ 21:55.

And again at 22:07. Funny.
hahaha.. i think they did it to make sure ppl were paying attention.

i am ron burgandy?? and i will say anything the teleprompter tells me to.

Last edited by ricekrispies : 12-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.