Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > iFanboy

Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
k-biscuit

Send a message via AIM to k-biscuit
Default New to comics

i posted this on the trs board, it was suggested that i inquire over here:

I wanted to get into comics for a while but didn't really know anyone to talk to about it. I became close friends with a guy who was really into 'em and he got me started on the essential uncanny x-men vol. 1, but he has since passed. I read The Surrogates after the trs guys reviewed it and i loved it. Any suggestions as to how to go about this new hobby? I like the collections like the above mentioned x-men book, but it's not a requirement nor are purely super hero comics. I'm attracted to the marvel universe, though, and want to get into captain america. I'm also a little confused on how the different series work (uncanny x-men vs. ultimate x-men, etc.). I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Peace and long life,
Blaine
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
labor_days
Elite Member

Right off the bat, I would suggest the recent Captain America omnibus. It's a bit expensive but if you are even remotely interested in Captain America, then this will be a wise purchase indeed.

Ed Brubaker nails everything iconic about Cap. Yet he keeps a modern sensibility to the title that I think those who may write off Captain America as cheesy or hokey will be surprised by.

Beyond that it's a wide open field. Comics can encompass all genres.

Last edited by Labor_Days : 10-30-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
labor_days
Elite Member

we

have

lots

of

threads

with

recommendations.

:-)

edit: Conor/Josh, we need a permanent sticky with links to recco threads and a list of iFanboy Forum members hot picks per genre. Could be an ongoing project.

Last edited by Labor_Days : 10-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 PM
iSteve

Labor Days has it exactly right. Get the new Captain America Omnibus. It is an awesome collection. One of the best takes on Captain America in recent memory.

We can better help you if you will share some of your other preferences in media (tv, movies, etc.) and literature. Those may help us deduce what comics might be a good fit for you.

Two very popular comic writers on this forum are Ed Brubaker (he writes Captain America) and Brian Michael Bendis. You really can't go wrong on anything written by them - and they are both Marvel writers.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:13 PM
dave-accampo
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to dave-accampo Send a message via Yahoo to dave-accampo Send a message via Skype™ to dave-accampo

Given that you liked The Surrogates (which IS really good), I'm trying to think of some good "graphic novels" or collected editions that don't require too much previous knowledge.

I'd suggest Fear Agent, which the guys have been raving about. I'd also suggest Fell if you like a kind of creepy police procedural story. I'd recommend Greg Rucka's White Out, for a good mystery/thriller set in Antarctica.

I'd also recommend collections of:

Y the Last Man - sci-fi
Transmetropolitan - sci-fi
Preacher - horror(ish)...I guess... Good stuff, if you're into that.

With Super-heroes, I'd also suggest trying out Daredevil. He's generally someone who hasn't gone through lots of revisions, etc., so you could try almost anything and get a grasp of it pretty quickly. You could start with the collections of Bendis' run or Brubaker's run and get a good, modern take on the character.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 PM
xyzzy
Elite Member

First of all, good start with the Surrogates. One of my favorites.

The following are all good science fiction stand-alone comics:

Daisy Kutter - Steampunk western
Pracically, anything by Warren Ellis, but in particular, Switchblade Honey and Ocean
Project: Telstar (if you can find it), an anthology of short comics about robots and outer space by a wide variety of indie creators.
the aforementioned Fear Agent - fantastic pulp sci-fi.

For superhero books, I also recommend getting your start on books that stand outside or on the edges of continuity.

For Marvel:
Alias - Ex-superhero turned PI struggles to get her life in order. Set in the Marvel Universe, but stands mostly on its own.
Runaways - Kids find out that their parents are supervillains, deal with the conesquences. Similar level of continuity as Alias. Just a touch here and there.

For DC:
New Frontier - A modern look at the origins of the DC's big names.
Superman: Secret Identity - completely standalone story outside of continuity, but just outstanding.

Now a word on how titles work. Generally speaking even if two books are about the same character, if they have different titles, they're telling different stories. Sometimes they cross over back and forth in an event, but that's about it. Further, any marvel book with the word "Ultimate" in it indicates that it takes place in the Ultimate Universe, which is something Marvel created some years back to take their characters and start over from scratch. Continuity-wise, all Ultimate books are connected to each other, but for the most part, are not connected to the non-Ultimate titles.

Hope that helps.
Disclaimer: The above is meant only to state my personal opinion on this matter. It is not intended to be interpreted as a statement of fact. Further, it is not intended to be a personal attack on you or anybody else or to offend in any way. If you reply to this post, I will assume that you are interested in continuing this line of discussion and reply in kind. If you do not wish to discuss this issue, do not reply, and it will end here.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:06 AM
labor_days
Elite Member

Do you think we may be confusing the OP with all this continuity/universe talk?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 AM
six-gun
Elite Member

This is my favorite game

Name your three favorite movies, books and tv shows and I shall give you comic recommendations!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 AM
k-biscuit

Send a message via AIM to k-biscuit

thanks for all the help so far, gang. i'm excited to get to the bookstore this week. the continuity/universe stuff is more clear now, i appreciate the explanation. i think i'll check out that captain america omnibus (gotta admit i learned a new word). i really do like the stand alone sci-fi stuff, i think next stop is Y the last man (this was the second reco) and i suppose fear agent due to the apparent critical acclaim.

as far as other interests in media, i got really into star trek this year. i'm really into sci-fi in general. i've only recently really begun reading novels, but i'm into tom clancy. really excited to read Ender's Game, too. girlfriend wants me to finish dan brown's deception point first (enjoying it so far). favorite movies follow sci-fi pretty well, too. the matrix is definitely #1. one of my favorite's that's a little different is rounders with matt damon. i really don't know how many people have seen that, i think i was nine when it came out?

thanks again for the help, all. this was really my first rev3 forum post, and it's encouraging to see such a helpful group of people. i think we've all been on some less than stellar boards. glad to know i won't need to wonder elsewhere.

one more thing: am i a total n00b for buying at borders? does everyone go amazon? i like being able to browse. unfortunately the comic book section at the local borders is absolutely dominated by manga and the like (maybe not unfortunate? never really gave it a chance). where should i be going?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 AM
labor_days
Elite Member

Nothing wrong with Borders. I shop there myself. Had it not been for the ability to flip through a book I would not have found half as many good reads.

You'll also find many of us shop at our LCS' (local comic store) for trades and such. Amazon and www.instocktrades.com are good for discounts.

Six is going to hand out more recommendations than you can shake a stick at in a few minutes. Hide your wallet.

edit: Look! InStockTrades has the Justice Society Of America hard cover for $13! What a deal.

Last edited by Labor_Days : 10-31-2007 at 02:21 AM.