Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store


Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Archived Shows > Revision3 Gazette

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

  #1  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 AM
johnflorida
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5
Status: Offline
Default How is the screen activity captured?

A production question...

How do you guys capture footage off a computer monitor to add to a show? Like on Tekzilla where you cut in clips of web site shots, etc.

Are you using a software-based system like iShowU or ScreenFlow for the Mac (or Camtasia for the PC) or do you use a hardware solution like a scan converter box (I think that's what they're called.)

I'm just curious. I watch Tekzilla in your h.264 HD version via Apple TV on my Sony 70" HDTV and I must say the web site shots are CRYSTAL CLEAR! It's really impressive. A lot of the other web footage I've seen on other shows (non-Rev3) are very pixelated and poor quality.

So I'm curious what you guys use to produce the great shots of web sites (and other computer screen activity).

Thanks!
  #2  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM
travislopes's Avatar
travislopes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 899
Status: Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlorida View Post
A production question...

How do you guys capture footage off a computer monitor to add to a show? Like on Tekzilla where you cut in clips of web site shots, etc.

Are you using a software-based system like iShowU or ScreenFlow for the Mac (or Camtasia for the PC) or do you use a hardware solution like a scan converter box (I think that's what they're called.)

I'm just curious. I watch Tekzilla in your h.264 HD version via Apple TV on my Sony 70" HDTV and I must say the web site shots are CRYSTAL CLEAR! It's really impressive. A lot of the other web footage I've seen on other shows (non-Rev3) are very pixelated and poor quality.

So I'm curious what you guys use to produce the great shots of web sites (and other computer screen activity).

Thanks!
iShowU is what they use to record the screen capture. However, when recording in studio, they also feed the monitor feed directly into the switcher.
  #3  
Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM
johnflorida
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5
Status: Offline
Default

Thanks, Travis!
  #4  
Old 05-20-2008, 05:41 AM
mikec
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,148
Status: Offline
Default

You generally need to use a device called a scan converter. It takes a computer signal and converts it to a usable video format.
  #5  
Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
gimpbully's Avatar
gimpbully
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 654
Status: Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislopes View Post
iShowU is what they use to record the screen capture. However, when recording in studio, they also feed the monitor feed directly into the switcher.
in the studio it's computer->scan converter->switcher
__________________
--------
"The importance of Liking Yourself is a notion that fell heavily out of favor in the coptic anti-ego frenzy of the Acid Era -- but nobody guessed, back then, that the experiment might churn up this kind of hangover: a whole subculture of frightened illiterates with no faith in anything."
  #6  
Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 AM
listonb
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Status: Offline
Send a message via AIM to listonb
Default

Theres an episode of pixelperfect that they show you.

They actually have a camera pointed directly at a monitor as well. I think they use a combination of all techniques.
  #7  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
rafacst's Avatar
rafacst
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vitoria - ES, Brazil
Posts: 19
Status: Offline
Send a message via MSN to rafacst
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by listonb View Post
Theres an episode of pixelperfect that they show you.

They actually have a camera pointed directly at a monitor as well. I think they use a combination of all techniques.
Actually, It was an episode of the Gazette: http://revision3.com/rev3gazette/pixelperfect
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44 AM.

Rev3 Forum RSS


© 2005-2010 Revision3 Corporation