Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > HD Nation

Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 PM
davetong

Question Need help with a HDMI Switch

I've got an Epson Powerlite projector that's fed from a DVR via a 60' HDMI cable.
I wanted to add a second video source, so I went out and bought a $50 4 port HDMI switch.
However when I connected the switch the projector just said NO SIGNAL.
I'm guessing that the output level from the switch wasn't sufficient to drive a 60' cable.

Do you have any recommendations for reasonably priced HDMI switches that might work?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:55 AM
syntaxsk8er

It might be that the switch you purchased does not support HDCP content. Take a look at HDMI switches by Octava.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 AM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

I use a Sony Amp as my HDMI switch. Since all the sound sources play out through the speakers, it makes sense to have the amp act as the switch as well.

Not exactly a $50 solution, but it does allow a single remote to control the sound and video source automagically (DVR and PS3 are on HDMI, Xbox on component - all vidoe output to single HDMI cable going to 60" Hitachi TV).
Old 07-15-2009, 04:18 AM
yogi69

I have a Denon non-HDMI receiver and so tried 2 different HDMI switching boxes with my old Sim2 projector. Both switch boxes would work with my HD DVD player and PVR but not with my Blu-Ray player.
I decided to keep the BR player permanently connected to HDMI and connected the others via component. Then I upgraded my projector to a JVC HD1 and everything worked! So what I am saying is don't necessarily junk your HDMI switcher first try directly to the device and then check to see you have the latest firmware for both the display and the device to ensure it isn't just a slow handshake that causes the error.
I hate HDMI HDCP compliancy checks! BTW my cable is 75 feet long and the image is great!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
kurolust

I use an Oppo switch with no issues at all. Pretty much handle anything you pass thru it. Has built in long cable support.

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Last edited by kurolust : 07-15-2009 at 03:15 PM.