Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 PM
nav13eh

Default Episode 114 - Smartphone Fight: Droid vs. 9700 vs. iPhone. Blu-ray Players for Black Friday. Full HD 3D, Online Backups, DJ Hero [Discussion]

Blu-ray Players For Black Friday: Streaming Media Is the Ticket, Firefox turns five, Crunchyroll on Boxee, Best Offline Archive: Save Your Priceless Photos Online!, Kill A Watt EZ Counts Energy Costs, DJ Hero. Is this Guitar Hero with a turntable worth owning, Windows 7: Full Install From An Update Disc Smartphone Fight: AT&T vs. Verizon!

Watch or download this episode now
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM
summerstormpictures

Default Dropbox good. Windows Live Sync good too

As a Mac user first and foremost, I'm going to Mac Hell for saying this but Windows Live Sync is absolutely great on the Mac.

If you like Dropbox, like I do, you'll like Windows Live Sync--and Microsoft finally got a Snow Leopard update out there.

In Dropbox you are stuck with a folder called...well...Dropbox--which is fine but wouldn't it be nice to decide your own folder name? With Windows Live Sync, you pick a folder, any folder, and that folder syncs across your various WLS enabled Macs or PC's.

However---and this is actually funny---my Macs are all syncing flawlessly with Windows Live Sync. My one and only D(H)ell with Windows is going through a strange quirk where it has been automatically taken offline by the Windows Live Sync site because the file paths are too long. So, whatever quirk this is, I hope the MS folks iron it out, because it'd be nice to once again use Windows Live Sync on...uh...Windows.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM
nav13eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerstormpictures View Post
As a Mac user first and foremost, I'm going to Mac Hell for saying this but Windows Live Sync is absolutely great on the Mac.

If you like Dropbox, like I do, you'll like Windows Live Sync--and Microsoft finally got a Snow Leopard update out there.

In Dropbox you are stuck with a folder called...well...Dropbox--which is fine but wouldn't it be nice to decide your own folder name? With Windows Live Sync, you pick a folder, any folder, and that folder syncs across your various WLS enabled Macs or PC's.

However---and this is actually funny---my Macs are all syncing flawlessly with Windows Live Sync. My one and only D(H)ell with Windows is going through a strange quirk where it has been automatically taken offline by the Windows Live Sync site because the file paths are too long. So, whatever quirk this is, I hope the MS folks iron it out, because it'd be nice to once again use Windows Live Sync on...uh...Windows.
I used this in the past when it was called "Skydrive" and you could only upload one file at a time, so I'm going to try this out.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM
summerstormpictures

Default Windows Live Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav13eh View Post
I used this in the past when it was called "Skydrive" and you could only upload one file at a time, so I'm going to try this out.
I still have my 25G SkyDrive just sitting there, but for lack of curiosity I've been unable to find a nice hands-off way to utilize it. It sure would be nice to use all that space for something.

It'd be really nice to find a way to mount a SkyDrive on the Mac desktop much like (choke) iDisk--and have it sync with WLS.

I gave up on MobileMe after wasting a year and $99, and have been looking for an alternative since. With MobileMe I felt like I was mailing my files in it took so long and had so many problems.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM
nav13eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerstormpictures View Post
I still have my 25G SkyDrive just sitting there, but for lack of curiosity I've been unable to find a nice hands-off way to utilize it. It sure would be nice to use all that space for something.

It'd be really nice to find a way to mount a SkyDrive on the Mac desktop much like (choke) iDisk--and have it sync with WLS.

I gave up on MobileMe after wasting a year and $99, and have been looking for an alternative since. With MobileMe I felt like I was mailing my files in it took so long and had so many problems.
If you could tunnel in through ftp than you could use that space which I also have sitting around.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:02 PM
jac_goudsmit

Cool Jungle Disk

I have a Linksys NAS200 and I'm using Jungle Disk Server Edition (Beta) with my modified firmware to make backups directly from the NAS to the cloud; I don't even have to leave my computer on, and I can monitor the backup process at work if I want to...

Jungle Disk is not free, it's $2 a month and you pay for the storage space: $0.15 per gigabyte per month (plus bandwidth costs if you use Amazon S3 but not if you use Rackspace which is Jungle Disk's parent company). But if your data is important, it should be worth a couple of dollars per month.

===Jac

By the way, once I get my Droid, the first thing I'm going to do is replace the built-in "Droid!" sample with a sample of Sascha Segan saying "Droid!" on this episode ;-)
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
kandekilla

the webos sdk is out Mr. Patrick norton. Just have to sign up and download it. Also Ares web wysiwyg sdk should be out shortly as well. Look into the december developer launch and go to www precentral net and look through homebrew. Preware is your friend. Ya need me to review webos apps for you? Also props to veronica for the hhc mention. Go go UK Hardcore.

Sean
"posted from my Palm Pr?"

Last edited by kandekilla : 11-13-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 PM
nitroflow

Default Nokia N900?

I've been hearing positive things about the N900 so could you guys do a review of it and see how it stacks up against the android crowd?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 AM
keawe

Default Storing pictures

If the only files that a user wants to backup are pictures then SmugMug may be an option to consider. There is an annual fee to use the service, but there is no limit to the number of images that can be uploaded. In addition, the images are kept at full resolution unlike some of the other online photo website. SmugMug will be offering DVD backups of images as soon as they find a suitable service provider. This will be helpful if you have a media failure and do not want to download a large number of images.

Oh, and by the way, you can also use the service to share your pictures with friends, family, and co-workers.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:24 PM
nav13eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keawe View Post
If the only files that a user wants to backup are pictures then SmugMug may be an option to consider. There is an annual fee to use the service, but there is no limit to the number of images that can be uploaded. In addition, the images are kept at full resolution unlike some of the other online photo website. SmugMug will be offering DVD backups of images as soon as they find a suitable service provider. This will be helpful if you have a media failure and do not want to download a large number of images.

Oh, and by the way, you can also use the service to share your pictures with friends, family, and co-workers.
Heard of it, but most people now a days have more music and Videos than pictures too.