Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM
agamotto

Send a message via ICQ to agamotto Send a message via AIM to agamotto

Blu-ray looks great, but the players are soooo damn slow!!!!! Another thing that I want is fast-forwarding and rewind like a VCR. There are times in a movie/disc that you want to stop to read something on the screen, and on many players you can't do this, you always jump a chapter instead. I also don't like how some discs won't play at all unless you are connected to the internet. How about just putting a playable movie on the disc, and LET ME CHOOSE if I want to connect to the internet for anything else?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
agamotto

Send a message via ICQ to agamotto Send a message via AIM to agamotto

All of this talk of smartphones and plan pricing makes me appreciate my Palm T|X all the more. Bluetooth and Wi-fi, and I can tether it to my pre-paid 'dumb' phone. Android is interesting, but until US carriers change their tune on plan pricing, I won't be biting.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 PM
bostown

ON BLU RAY: Despite a few design issues ( USB port location, no wifi , and no internal memory for BD LIVE) The LG BD370 is retailing for about $150 and does streaming from NETFLIX, CINEMA NOW, and YOU TUBE. - it's lacking pandora unfortunately). Samsung's got a player the BD-P 1600 that has fallen under the $150 mark too I believe and has similar features as the LG BD370 player.

ON DJ HERO: Please ask Mauricio to look into the OTHER Dj video game and do a preview/review " Scratch - The Video Game" with it's hardware controller from electronics manufacturer NUMARK, This seems like the game that MIGHT be more a simulation of REAL DJing and could teach someone how to DJ.

ON SMARTPHONES: I agree it's all about the cost of the plan vs the cost of the phone. I've been preaching this forever. T-Mobile is actually offering NO CONTRACT deals that make this even more interesting than ever. It does require a bit of math since NO CONTRACT means NO SUBSIDIZED handsets but as Patrick says as the tag line for HD Nation i "likes it". no more quid pro quo , In the NEW scheme its a 1:1 relationship. You ( T-Mobile) don't owe me anything except the service I pay for and I don't have to marry you for 2 years for a discount on a phone and with that I get UNLIMITED everything including data for $80 + tax and regulatory fees ( generally no more than $8 on a single line) - Their EVEN MORE PLUS PLAN could be the future of wireless. Enough with this contract and subsidy nonsense. Maybe cable providers should operate this way and Provide a significant Discount on a sweet HD Panel in exchange for a 2year contract. hmmmm....

ON ONLINE BACKUPS: Can we revisit the whole DROBO thing? I keep reading about these things malfunctioning which has kept me from buying one. What's your experience with the DROBO (or drobo + drobo share) ? lord knows I have a bunch of random size drives that could I make use of.

ON HOMETHEATER IN A BOX: At the end of the day , if it sounds good to you, the run with it. - I am a fan of separates but Im certainly a "purists". In fact I'm a fan of second hand buying, particularly speakers. I've picked up quite a few pieces of solid gear that is still TECHNOLOGICALLY "in style" and current, on the cheap. chasing the latest decoding schemes can get expensive. and what's so super fantastic about this years speaker vs the model that was all the rage 3-5 years ago? has human hearing improved that much in the last few years ? It is actually possibly to go separate for the price of a "in the box" system, if you have space for it all. It is pretty fun to bargain hunt and put it all together if you're into that sort of thing, otherwise an IN THE BOX set up works just as well , besides its all perceptual anyway right? $30K cables from MIT? I'd take the money and fly to as many live shows that $30K would allow me to instead of sitting at home critically listening and searching for Audio nirvana. google, "the story of stuff" , it's pretty awesome.

lastly - ON ANDROID : Could Android become the dominant smartphone operating system that levels the playing field for all these "smartphones" . It would be nice since it would mean 1 solid platform for developers to create on. also what's up with CREATIVE LABS and their ZII processor thingy the ZII EGG? could that be the next killer android device ( providing they make one with a radio for phone use) ? has anyone checked this thing out? what's the word on it?

Cheers

Last edited by bostown : 11-17-2009 at 06:50 PM.