Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 AM
computoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagga View Post
Well this isn't the same thing. Mono is an impersonation of a Microsoft standard that will forever be chasing Microsoft's defacto standard. It's also a bloated buggy POS which really isn't need in the Linux world given the existence of Perl, Python and Ruby. Linux has better solutions than Mono; that's why everyone avoids it like the plague.

Microsoft giving up and just dropping its users onto Wordpress which Wordpress has nothing to do with other than to be happy for the business is a different situation. If Microsoft gave up on Windows and moved all of their user base over to Linux would that suddenly mean Linux was not Open Source?

(Yes, I realise that'll never happen but its a similar example).
MS may have a financial interest in Wordpress. From what I have seen, MS poisons everything they touch..

Originally MS had no financial involvement with MONO, but. it does now. I do agree that mono has many shortcomings. I remove mono on gnome based systems. Though It is supposed to be better now. http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...t-for-c-40.ars Considering the source, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

If MS started investing in Linux, Yes I would say the same thing. One of the reasons I will not touch Suse from MS puppet Novell. any more.
Another poisoning: (Novell was being sold for financial reasons).

"Extend, embrace, and extinguish" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace...and_extinguish

Last edited by computoman : 10-10-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:14 PM
notthetup

Talking

I'll match it as well.. Now we've 150.. Anyone willing to tell us??

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post
I'll match your 50. I too would love to know what she would have quit over.

alas it might remain on of those rev3 mysteries like the downfall of geekdrome or where foodmob went.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 AM
aknot

Default TiVo is more than just a cable box...

TiVo!!!!! I think the main point we keep missing with the TiVo box is that it's not just for cable; it works with an Over The Air (OTA) antenna as well! To address the monthly cost issue, when you figure in the cost of the TiVo box ($299 and $499 respectively) and add Product Lifetime Service ($399), you're actually looking at about the exact same cost as building a Media Center PC able to do the same function (~$700 and $900); however after 5 years, that PC will no longer be supported with updates which you'll probably have to upgrade to keep working, while that TiVo will keep plugging away with all the updates from the TiVo "mothership". Now, if you're a frugal shopper like I am, you would have noticed that you could purchase a TiVo Premiere box for $99 when purchased with an HDTV at Best Buy, add that to PLS for $399 and poof, a brand new Set Top Box with no more fees for $498. Divide that up over a 5 year period (60 months) and that comes to a grand total of $8.30/month to be able to record HD OTA signals, set season passes for all of my shows, and have access to Netflix, Amazon, and Pandora. Oh yeah, Hulu Plus is coming to TiVo as well! For me, a TiVo makes sense, plus I absolutely LOVE the TiVo interface. The upfront cost is daunting, however, if you break it down into what it really is, you're getting an HD DVR that caxn be used with or without cable, it gets daily software updates and (in my opinion) will long outlast any Windows based media center. Just my two-cents on the subject.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM
davmoo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notthetup View Post
I'll match it as well.. Now we've 150.. Anyone willing to tell us??
Here's another $50
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM
computoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknot View Post
TiVo!!!!! I think the main point we keep missing with the TiVo box is that it's not just for cable; it works with an Over The Air (OTA) antenna as well! To address the monthly cost issue, when you figure in the cost of the TiVo box ($299 and $499 respectively) and add Product Lifetime Service ($399), you're actually looking at about the exact same cost as building a Media Center PC able to do the same function (~$700 and $900); however after 5 years, that PC will no longer be supported with updates which you'll probably have to upgrade to keep working, while that TiVo will keep plugging away with all the updates from the TiVo "mothership". Now, if you're a frugal shopper like I am, you would have noticed that you could purchase a TiVo Premiere box for $99 when purchased with an HDTV at Best Buy, add that to PLS for $399 and poof, a brand new Set Top Box with no more fees for $498. Divide that up over a 5 year period (60 months) and that comes to a grand total of $8.30/month to be able to record HD OTA signals, set season passes for all of my shows, and have access to Netflix, Amazon, and Pandora. Oh yeah, Hulu Plus is coming to TiVo as well! For me, a TiVo makes sense, plus I absolutely LOVE the TiVo interface. The upfront cost is daunting, however, if you break it down into what it really is, you're getting an HD DVR that caxn be used with or without cable, it gets daily software updates and (in my opinion) will long outlast any Windows based media center. Just my two-cents on the subject.
Maybe for an mswindows system on those prices. You can get used tivos for a song. We use our media center pc for a lot more than just being a file server and a lot more than what the tivo can do.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 AM
davmoo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknot View Post
TiVo!!!!!
I love my Tivo boxes. I have two. For recording satellite programming (which, obviously, tells you they are Series 2) they are indeed the bomb. But for just about anything else...internet programming, etc...my media PC has a whole lot more flexibility and capability.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
jhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmoo View Post
Here's another $50
And another...
Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 AM
computoman

No new show yet. It gets more and more interesting........ I could care who has upset Veronica, that is her private business.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 PM
dh4645

yeah, veronica gave me a shout out for the xmarks story!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 PM
tomchambers

Default Xmarks Still exists!

Just to update your story on Xmarks going byebye - they've been bought out be a company called Lastpass.

regards

Tom Chambers