Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > The Ben Heck Show

Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 PM
justpeon

Default osepp vs sparkfun arduino

I think that Microcenter now carries the the sparkfun arduino stuff. I also some small electronic stores are carrying it also. Now frys has what is call the osepp board which looks similar to the sparkfun arduino. Anyone have any preferences. I just bought a couple of atmega chips and will use a bread board. A lot cheaper.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM
arduinorocks

Lightbulb osepp vs sparkfun arduino

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpeon View Post
I think that Microcenter now carries the the sparkfun arduino stuff. I also some small electronic stores are carrying it also. Now frys has what is call the osepp board which looks similar to the sparkfun arduino. Anyone have any preferences. I just bought a couple of atmega chips and will use a bread board. A lot cheaper.
I have always used Arduino but bought an OSEPP board from Fry's the other day (convenient). I hate to say it but i think there is a real competitor in town.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 AM
justpeon

Bought the osepp uno and running it with ubuntu 10.04. So far no problems.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 AM
justpeon

Update: The osepp is hard wired. The arduino from Radio Shack is socketed.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 AM
sjfreezerburn

Default Osepp Uno and Mega2560 compats

The Osepp version of the Mega2560 also does not have the microcontroller usb to serial interface that the Arduino version has which I'm not 100% familiar with as I don't have an Arduino Mega2560 but the Osepp version - instead it has an FDTI IC for USB to serial conversion but this requires you to use the 023 version of the Arduino IDE instead of version 1.0. This isn't exclusively a bad thing I guess but not being able to use the latest Arduino software due to hardware constraints makes me itch.

The Osepp UNO compatible also as previously stated in a post above this one has a surface mount microcontroller (soldered) and also uses the FDTI IC for usb to serial conversion (but I don't know if the Arduino UNO has the same.)

All in all I guess the price point for the Osepp products "might" be cheap enough to shrug it off but to get the "real thing" at Radio Shack for 10%-ish more money is hard to balance. If I HAD to go buy a Arduino or compatible device right tomorrow I'd just go to Radio Shack and buy the Arduino and forgo an Osepp purchase at Fry's... now if Osepp's compats were 10% cheaper then they are now that would change things.

I know the comparison was with the Sparkfun versions but maybe this information has some value to you anyhow.

On the bright side the Osepp PCBs are of high quality and well made and is at least on par with current Arduino products not just a shabby imitation.

There also aren't ethernet shields by Osepp or any "worthy" shield in my estimation... Lots of sensors at Fry's and several variants of the Arduino arsenal -- compatible of course.

Lastly. The Osepp forums when I was using the Mega2560 for the first time was a ghost town. Maybe a post or two a week and hadn't changed much a few months later, maybe 10 new posts. Perhaps the Osepp users were simply using the official Arduino forums.

Last edited by sjfreezerburn : 11-19-2012 at 04:13 AM.