Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Nixie Pixel Geekbuzz & OS.ALT

Old 03-10-2012, 01:25 PM
justpeon

Default os.alt

Seems to be more of an open source put down than a support for open source. It is a shame that the presenter can only put a square peg in a square hole and can not think outside the box. But then that is true of both Mac users and most mswindows users. Why does everything have to be mswindows like??????? MICROSOFT WINDOWS IS junk. Most of the changes MS is making is what linux has been doing for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIgEFIv5MI

Most people i know who use both the gimp and photoshop, find that you can do certain things a lot easier in the gimp than photoshop. At least she admitted she was an amateur. I kind of like the fact that the menus are separate in photoshop and the like. I can move them to another monitor and leave more space what I am editing in the main window on the first monitor. Duh??

No good games for Linux?? or what she really means is there are no mswindows clone games for linux. Why is that because the Mswindows world threatens software patents to prevent certain software from having the same capabilities. Also the fact that certain major companies have been allegedly bullied software entities into not writing for the linux platform. Let's get the facts straight.

http://www.cahilig.net/2011/07/29/10...ty-linux-games

Having been a Microsoft administrator for almost two decades. I can tell you I have found more (and free support) for linux than I ever had for MSWindows. I do applaud the choice of MInt linux for beginners, Though it is only one of many many linux variants. www.distrowatch.com can show lots of other choices. One other thing I like about open source is that if something needs to be fixed, you can get the source to a program and modify it. Can not tell you how many times we went to companies in the MS world to try to get something changed and it was next to impossible. Not good support with a lot of MSWindows programs.

As for video editing as that is not my expertise, Funny how all the major motion pictures used Linux to render their product. i.e Titanic and so on and so forth/ Has the presenter ever seen Big Buck Bunny?

As for CAD, there are many exciting products in linux for cad but most of them are commercial programs that you will not find in the repositories. At least qcad gives you a 2d program as a stepping stone. Most Colleges do not teach just Autocad. It is not the only kid on the block even for the MS world.

Even if linux and Microsoft products were the same price, I would still take open source over Microsoft based products. More usability and flexibilty that meet my needs.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 AM
rfm33428

I enjoy Nixie Pixel's reviews and I have trouble seeing her shows as a 'put down'. When it comes to games, everyone has their own taste in what they like. I think it great the the open source community is trying to make MS windows games more compatible for Linux through Wine & PlayOnLinux, maybe programs in general. Still there are those titles that you just have to go back to Windows in order to play. In my case Yu-Gi-Oh Kaiba & Joey. I was able to install & play the 1st (Yugi the Destiny) without any issues.

Another thing that leaves me coming back to Windows is Blu-ray player software that can just simply play commercial titles for people like me that use there PC as a HTPC. When I want to rent a movie to watch, I just want to put it in the drive to play it. I don't want to rip it in order to watch through VLC. Plus it's gets into other issues when all I want to do is watch the freaking movie.

I like Linux because it's not Windows. In Linux you don't have to worry about all those Window threats that are out there. I'm not saying that Linux is bullet proof, but for the time being it's safer to use.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
justpeon

Have not watched the last few shows, so maybe the attitude is changed. To many security issues to me with running the ms compatibility software. We are migrating to using web based games and therefore platform independent. That is the way everything is going anyway. As HTML5 gets perfected, shrinkwrap software is dead and so is having to run an ms box. Sorry Redmond.....
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM
rfm33428

On shrink wrapped software dying. I feel sorry for the people who share their games & eventually Gamestop employees that will be out work. Change is good, but not when you cause people to be unemployed. That store has changed a lot. The last time I was there, no PC games & no used games (definitely not like they used too anyway). Shrink wrapped games go bye bye & it's not worth having stores open for consoles and accessories.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:38 AM
justpeon

There should be no problem if they decide to adapt. Most people I see at those shops are young with their whole life ahead of them. Learning is good. They should start their own servers.......