Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > HD Nation

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
techie714

Default Htpc/nas?

Hey folks, I'm new here & I thought I would post at a place where the folks seem to really know their stuff. I guess the best way to do this is just tell you what I want the system to do & you folks tell me what I need to do it. I'm selling my PS3 since I have not touched it in 3-4 months & I want to finally move over to a HTPC. Thank you for your time & help!!

Current Entertainment System:
42" Sharp LCD
Tvio Series 3 (We LOVE our Tivo & have no plans of replacing it with this new HTPC)
Yamaha 5.1 Audio system with receiver
PS3 (Selling)

What I'm looking for in a HTPC/NAS
Budget: 800.00 (Max)
System must be able to stream Hulu/Netflix/Voodoo/Amazon/Etc. (Much like Roku)
Must have a Blu-Ray player
Must have full Blu-Ray playback capabilities
I want the ability to take all my DVDs and "rip" them to ISO and have them saved on a NAS (type) system & have a nice menu to scroll through my movies & play them (Might be asking for much on this one?)
Ability for expansion to add a cable card this would allow me to record shows (I think?)
Well I think that's everything I need for the most part

Last edited by techie714 : 12-19-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

I'd suggest keeping the PS3 - even if you aren't using it for gaming:
1. It has clients for pretty much everything you need from an online content/streaming perspective.
2. It is one of the most reliable BR players on the market - Sony are extremely good about keeping its profiles up to date to play back discs.

You aren't getting rid of the Tivo, so using a HTPC as a DVR makes no sense.

If you have an existing computer, add an external or internal BR drive to rip discs.

You didn't mention your router - but if you don't have one with NAS capability get something that can handle a large HDD to use as NAS storage and plug it into the router. Rip the media to the NAS drive, and spool from there.

If you don't have the PS3 remote control, get one - it makes the whole movie control experience much better. My PS3 sits in a TV cabinet, and does get hot if the door isn't left open while watching a movie. A HTPC would suffer the same fate if it was in the same place.

And ... if you feel like gaming in the future, it will still be there.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 PM
techie714

You made some really good points & perhaps you are right, however how do I watch all my movies on a NAS without using my current PC? I do have a very good router with NAS support.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Get a router with NAS capability - I have a Belkin N700, and it appears as a Media server on the PS3. No PC/Mac needs to be left on. Netgear and Linksys/Cisco have similar capabilities as well - the Belkin just happened to be at the right price at the right time.

$100 for a new router, $100 for a 1TB external HDD ... whatever it costs for a BR drive to rip discs (haven't looked at them in a while). Much cheaper than building a new machine to do the same thing.

Last edited by tokenuser : 12-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
flaminio

Arrow

I've been looking for a NAS for streaming video for months now.

The ideal solution would be a Drobo FS with built-in, robust DLNA support. That does not yet exist.

An alternative might be a Synology NAS, as people report good things about them.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
andcbii

If all you want is to play ISO files get a boxee box.

http://www.boxee.tv/faq

And get one of these as a nas

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=620
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro.../file-sharing/

You already have everything else you need except maybe a remote to control everything.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes

as far as riping the ISOs any drive will work in a pc you already have. just get AnyDVD and imo makeMKV.