Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Totally Rad Show

Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM
frankiethewaffle

Default MMA Training

I am getting in on the Basement floor here. Commenting on a segment that has not yet aired.

Seeing the ProWrestling training, I pegged Jeff as the guy that would have wanted more.

I also was a pro wrestler for a while and I took a beating and would do it again.

I took up MMA training for a workout a while back. I never wanted to train for a fight because the other guy always wanted to hit me back. Not so much fun. I loved the Jujitsu. It was the smart mans game. The wrestling I was trained in from the pro wrestling trainer, Dory Funk Jr., He has those skills. Then the muay thai. Cardio part for sure but that is where you take a beating, when you are offensive.

I don't know what you guys did in a day but, in my training (by a guy that had a UFC match), he trained me as if I wanted to fight....I asked for it....literally. First day the workout stuff happened then he said, "I am gonna put you in a choke, so you know what it feels like." He said to train for a fight, I had to not panic if I am choked. So he did. When I woke up he was yelling at me about not tapping when I was going out. Well, he told me not to.

It is good training and a great workout. I think Spin Classes for Men should be MMA Training!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
bubba-mudd

I can't imagine Dan doing this AT ALL! LOL He had a hard enough time with the pro wrestling training. I know I couldn't do it.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 AM
frankiethewaffle

Actually, Dan did very well with the pro wrestling training. I trained many that just didn't get it. Dan would rank very high on that list, if I had trained him.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
heyseuss
Elite Member

Would have to agree with some of the commenters on Dan's t-shirt choices, although, I'm used to it as they've all been doing it for a while and don't judge, but the studio tee was far worse than the MMA tee !! He's obviously been picking weights up lately so the baby-tees are accentuated now he's been working on his arms. I personally can't wear a shirt like that. And I don't mean in public, I mean, if I put one on, I will start freaking out like a cat with it's head in a box or bag, I will put my arms up above my head, lean forward and walk backwards hoping that grip on my arms is released. "wearing a turtle-neck and a backpack is like having a midget trying to bring you down all day" - Mitch Hedberg. Still, can't hold it against him, or any of them as it really doesn't hurt anyone. It's a little worse if you do work on your arms though, but in L.A., they don't stand out in any way as gym-douches in baby tees, there are a few million worse than them.

Would like to see this segment go on for an hour, albeit with a better cameraman and audio track. It's one thing to not understand a word or two, but in the case of this segment, it was more the case of only being able to understand a word or two.

Quote:
bubba-mudd I can't imagine Dan doing this AT ALL! LOL He had a hard enough time with the pro wrestling training. I know I couldn't do it.
You do know Dan did kung fu for a while ? Also, you can't compare MMA and Pro-Wrestling, they are as different as NFL and Improv Comedy.

Good golly Alex looks better with his hair down.

P.S. Man how I wish to have been there. Legends gym used to be down the street for me but it's moved somewhere else since.

P.P.S. Amir Sadollah and Luke Cummo should train together.

Last edited by heyseuss : 04-28-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 AM
bubba-mudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyseuss View Post
You do know Dan did kung fu for a while ? Also, you can't compare MMA and Pro-Wrestling, they are as different as NFL and Improv Comedy.
Actually I was referencing, tongue-in-cheek, the fact that Dan had to leave the wrestling ring to go throw up. Also, your analogy is off. They are similar in that they are physical activities. NFL and Improv aren't in the same ball park. "They ain't even the same motherfuckin' sport" - Jules
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 AM
hellhound

Dan totally has the cardio to employ the Kalib Starnes fight technique.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
heyseuss
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellhound View Post
Dan totally has the cardio to employ the Kalib Starnes fight technique.
Awwww, that's mean..

Don't forget, it takes two to tango and Nate Quarry didn't cut the ring off and close the distance. He shoulda finished him like a tiger on a gazelle. Quarry never impressed me. He showed he had the brains but never translated it to style or technique. Can't believe he just 'retired' on tv and broke down and cried as soon as he started talking about it.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
hellhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyseuss View Post
Awwww, that's mean..

Don't forget, it takes two to tango and Nate Quarry didn't cut the ring off and close the distance. He shoulda finished him like a tiger on a gazelle. Quarry never impressed me. He showed he had the brains but never translated it to style or technique. Can't believe he just 'retired' on tv and broke down and cried as soon as he started talking about it.
Wow.. Nate retired?!?!... I only caught afew eps of MMA Uncensored. I usually D/L Inside MMA (w/ Kenny and Bas Ruttan-best MMA commentator ever!) and get Beatdown and Savage Dog Show from Sherdog (tho Sherdog Radio has lost some of my interest since Josh Gross got hired away by Yahoo to do their MMA coverage).
Agree w/ you that Nate was a super smart fighter that was fairly well rounded but didnt excel in any aspect of his game that he could use as a dominating advantage and play off of in a game plan.
I guess Nate figured he'd be a top 25 gatekeeper and not make much more than 25K per fight so he'd be best to devote himself to the media business side of MMA.. Kinda like Jeremy Horn. Jeremy is the James Brown of MMA (hardest working man) with 115 fights and he fought most of them before he hit 30... He strikes ok, he wrestles ok, his Jits is very good.. but he doesnt have that fight ending threat... which he can use to steer his opponent toward a sloppy takedown attempt etc.

Back to the TRS guys and MMA... I think Alex made the right choice training Muay Thai w/ Roxy. He's kinda short w/o alotta reach so he needs to clinch up and work strikes from inside (a "dirty boxing" session w/ Randy Cotoure would prolly double his skills). Jeff seems to have the natural wrestling base to make him either a GnPer (Ground and pound) or a LnPer (lay and pray -for a decision win for the new MMA watchers).

Dan is the anomally because he seems allergic to exercise but also seems to have quick (but weak) reflexes... In a TKD competition where just a hit (no mater how weak) counts as a point.. he could do well.. but IMO those contests are silly.. like the Kata competitions where people go thru gymnastics against pretend opponents and get medals.. silly..
I bet Dan could excel at jiu jitsu. It was designed to give smaller/weaker guys the ability to use leverage on joints or to use inventive chokes) to take out a stronger/heavier guy.
I wont get into whether traditional Japanese Jits or Brazilian/Gracie Jits (not fluent enuff in each to advocate an opinion) is best.... I think (like Bruce Lee's JKD) people should encorporate everything that works... even Eddie Bravo's rubber guard Omaplata and Gogoplata threats into their arsenal.
I can see Dan.. in bottom guard.. pulling either a triangle choke/armbar... or a 'plata submission
Old 05-15-2012, 11:16 PM
heyseuss
Elite Member

[quote=hellhound;631081]
Quote:
Wow.. Nate retired?!?!... I only caught afew eps of MMA Uncensored. I usually D/L Inside MMA (w/ Kenny and Bas Ruttan-best MMA commentator ever!)
Nate announced retiring, immediately breaking into tears, and announced fulltime MMA Uncensored. None of those guys, Nate included, thrill me as 'reporters'. I'm kind of a snob when it comes to MMA media, 99% of them only heard of the sport in the past 5 years so they don't know enough for me. Love Bas. Leeeverrrr shottt !!!!

Quote:
and get Beatdown and Savage Dog Show from Sherdog (tho Sherdog Radio has lost some of my interest since Josh Gross got hired away by Yahoo to do their MMA coverage).
I eventually fell away from caring about any of Sherdog's shows after Josh Gross left. BTW, it wasn't Yahoo, it was Sports Illustrated, guess he's with Yahoo now ? I tried to follow him, but SI is hard as hell to navigate and I could never find a way to listen to Josh. He was awesome though, easily the bestest MMA reporter ever. Breen has the knowledge but he bathes in hyperbole. Everyone else on Sherdog is either too fat or too new to know dick. MMA Sunday School is the only podcast other than Kevin Smith's that I listen to anymore. Thank fuck TJ Desantis finally realised the genius of MMASS and got Scott and Rodney to come back once a month. I love MMASS.

Quote:
Agree w/ you that Nate was a super smart fighter that was fairly well rounded but didnt excel in any aspect of his game that he could use as a dominating advantage and play off of in a game plan.
Nate had no pizazz, nor personality. Good guy, just very vanilla washed.

Quote:
I guess Nate figured he'd be a top 25 gatekeeper and not make much more than 25K per fight so he'd be best to devote himself to the media business side of MMA.. Kinda like Jeremy Horn. Jeremy is the James Brown of MMA (hardest working man) with 115 fights and he fought most of them before he hit 30... He strikes ok, he wrestles ok, his Jits is very good.. but he doesnt have that fight ending threat... which he can use to steer his opponent toward a sloppy takedown attempt etc.
Horn has the fight ending threat to A- fighters or below, but A's and A+'s beat him. I think Horn would wipe the floor with Nate 9/10 times. And if Horn is the James Brown, what does that make Travis Fulton ? Look his record up, but pad the table so your jaw doesn't smash it.

Quote:
Back to the TRS guys and MMA... I think Alex made the right choice training Muay Thai w/ Roxy. He's kinda short w/o alotta reach so he needs to clinch up and work strikes from inside (a "dirty boxing" session w/ Randy Cotoure would prolly double his skills).
I'd see him doing well at jits. Ya never know, it's all about the hips.

Quote:
Jeff seems to have the natural wrestling base to make him either a GnPer (Ground and pound) or a LnPer (lay and pray -for a decision win for the new MMA watchers).
He's a Figure 4 magazine subscriber from back in the day. If Jeff wrestled I'd see him pulling can openers (neck crank), kimuras, keylocks (americana) as often as possible.

Quote:
Dan is the anomally because he seems allergic to exercise but also seems to have quick (but weak) reflexes... In a TKD competition where just a hit (no mater how weak) counts as a point.. he could do well.. but IMO those contests are silly.. like the Kata competitions where people go thru gymnastics against pretend opponents and get medals.. silly..
Most arts have kata's. Kata's are just fighting moves slowed down without opponents, but sped up, against opponents, they sure are helpful. The only really silly ones are the ones that are more pretty than practical like wu shu and alot of kung fu's. Jet Li was a forms (kata) champion before movie star. I agree it's kind of weird to give medals for it, but hardcore muay thai guys do kata's, and that's the most affective striking style in the world. I've used tai chi and yoga in MMA and it works well.

Quote:
I bet Dan could excel at jiu jitsu. It was designed to give smaller/weaker guys the ability to use leverage on joints or to use inventive chokes) to take out a stronger/heavier guy.
He'd need to work on hip and core mobility and strength alot, but he's smart so I bet he'd get it well. You know Dan did kung fu for a few years ? Might even speak Cantonese or Mandarin. Also, against what we would be lead to believe through the world of video, Dan is taller than you'd think. He has horrible posture though, but when he wants to, he's plenty tall enough. Jeff doesn't tower over him IRL as much as he does on camera. Common misconception, most TRS fans are kinda shocked how much taller Dan is IRL.

Quote:
I wont get into whether traditional Japanese Jits or Brazilian/Gracie Jits (not fluent enuff in each to advocate an opinion) is best....
Japanese. It's more offensive, involves striking and painful takedowns ( more like judo takedowns that break bones, unlike american wrestling takedowns or bjj takedowns which don't hurt, just get you a point and the position ). JJJ hurts when standing, no need to pull guard. BJJ is better for MMA though cus JJJ has too much wrist lock maneuvers and serious injury moves.

Quote:
I think (like Bruce Lee's JKD) people should encorporate everything that works... even Eddie Bravo's rubber guard Omaplata and Gogoplata threats into their arsenal.
I can see Dan.. in bottom guard.. pulling either a triangle choke/armbar... or a 'plata submission
Sure, some of everything. Not alot of need to know TKD though. Muay Thai, Boxing, maybe Kyokushin karate, Krav Maga. Speaking of rubber guard, can't remember the dudes name, but look up turtle guard. Eduardo something ? Speaking of Bravo - did you see Asian guy that pulled off a Twister in UFC ? First one in the UFC and it's by a guy who says, through his translater, "yeah I watch eddie bravo techniques on youtube... " WOW. It was against Garcia... first name ain't coming to me, lil dudes.

Last edited by heyseuss : 05-15-2012 at 11:17 PM.