Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Tekzilla

Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
ironscimitar

Default Rehabilitating a 2006 MBP

Hello folks, I need some assistance.

I've recently taken into possession a 2006 MBP. Model number A1211. It needs some TLC. It powers up fine, the screen is okay, keyboard, etc, however the HD was dead so I replaced it w/ a 320gb drive. Also, the DVD drive is also on the fritz. Im not concerned about replacing it so i'll put that off for now. All it needs is an OS.

How would I go about getting OSX onto it? I have a Snow Leopard disc here that I bought from the Apple store. Can I plug in an external optical drive and have it boot to that?

What are my options? This is will be my first Mac experience. I hope I can get it up and running...

Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 PM
nusna_moebius

I /would/ think that Apple would support external USB DVD drives, so it sounds like a best bet.
Main system: Phenom II x4 @ 2.8 GHz / Diamond Radeon 5850 1 GB / 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 / MSI 770-C45 mobo / 1 TB HDD / Win7 64 / Raidmax 630W PSU / Raidmax Smilodon Case / HP 2009m 20" 1600 x 900 Monitor
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 PM
tokenuser
Cranky Old Mod

Provided the problem is not at the motherboard level, then you should be OK booting off an external DVD drive. THe MBP will recognize it as a boot device provided you have the Snow Leopard disc in the drive on startup. Without knowing the history of the machine, its hard to say anything beyond that - why was the old HDD toast? What about the DVD? How do you know the keyboard is OK?

To be honest, I suspect that after loading Snow Leopard off an external drive, you'll be fine, but if helps to provide as much information as you can if you want a more definitive response.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 AM
zeo

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1948