Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > General > General Discussions

Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 AM
vdubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_s View Post
"All of Revision3ís 50 employees are supposed to stay on.."

"This deal isnít an ďacqhire,Ē as Discovery intends to keep Revision3 operating out of its San Francisco headquarters. The idea is that Revision3 will continue to make its own Web shows, which generate some 100 million streams a month, and that Discovery will eventually figure out ways to sync up some of its own stuff into the mix."

They're buying a machine seeing that it can already do X and with support will help it do X and more. TechTV and this are two different things. Though I cannot speak on it authoritatively, Paul Allen sold TechTV while employees were more or less left in the dark, from what I understood. It was this thing done to offload a network that was not doing so well.

This is a whole different thing. The people who would have any say in this, Mr. Louderback, Mr. Adelson, I imagine, Mr. Prager - they all love Revision3 and want to see it grow. That I can say for sure. I would not worry too much about the deal, though things can always change.

Growing up on ZDTV, to TechTV, to G4TechTV to Revision3, I have to say this is just great news and I am so happy for everyone on board.
I respectfully disagree. History has shown that when a company acquires another company, they never really "leave it alone". TechTV ruined ZDTV and G4/Comcast destroyed TechTV.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
xibalba
Elite Member

Quote:
Per AllThingsD:

That's good, the article I read had it wrong and added a % to that 50. Still never know what will happen.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 PM
evan_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubb View Post
I respectfully disagree. History has shown that when a company acquires another company, they never really "leave it alone". TechTV ruined ZDTV and G4/Comcast destroyed TechTV.
I did say things could change. I'm naive enough to think NOTHING will change, but it does not necessarily mean the change could be bad.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 PM
xibalba
Elite Member

Even though the forums aren't as active as they once were I hope they keep them and the mods. Because the mods on discovery's forums suck.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to ariastar Send a message via AIM to ariastar Send a message via Yahoo to ariastar Send a message via Skype™ to ariastar

Quote:
Token, are we part of the deal? Do we get major payouts too? In spam, perhaps?
Payout? I want a payout! I think my family should be the poster people for Rev3 (considering I met my husband on this forum back in 2006, and out daughter was born the month you joined).

Hear that, Rev3? GIVE US SOME FAME. At least a few minutes' worth.
Girl and Boy get married December 2010!!

~*~
My website: Aria Couture
Fan me on Facebook: Aria Couture on Facebook
Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to ariastar Send a message via AIM to ariastar Send a message via Yahoo to ariastar Send a message via Skype™ to ariastar

Quote:
Per AllThingsD:

"This deal isnít an ďacqhire,Ē as Discovery intends to keep Revision3 operating out of its San Francisco headquarters. The idea is that Revision3 will continue to make its own Web shows, which generate some 100 million streams a month, and that Discovery will eventually figure out ways to sync up some of its own stuff into the mix."

They're buying a machine seeing that it can already do X and with support will help it do X and more. TechTV and this are two different things. Though I cannot speak on it authoritatively, Paul Allen sold TechTV while employees were more or less left in the dark, from what I understood. It was this thing done to offload a network that was not doing so well.

This is a whole different thing. The people who would have any say in this, Mr. Louderback, Mr. Adelson, I imagine, Mr. Prager - they all love Revision3 and want to see it grow. That I can say for sure. I would not worry too much about the deal, though things can always change.

Growing up on ZDTV, to TechTV, to G4TechTV to Revision3, I have to say this is just great news and I am so happy for everyone on board.
It's pretty typical for a company that is acquired to suffer losses as some positions become redundant, and the employees of the purchasing company tend to get preference. However, for something like this, I don't see how much doubling up on positions there could really be. I think, at least for the time being, all the employees are safe.

I was excited to hear about this acquisition, and hope it goes well!

~*~
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 AM
ariastar
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnedeyez View Post
...ok, I do have to wonder if there might be some Mythbusters crossover at some point. Although, that's the only show I can name that I still watch on Discovery.
I watch a lot of Discovery. Too bad they loop the same four hours of programming six times in a row, and then replay shows in five different spots each week. Some crossovers would excite me more than I care to admit.

~*~
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 AM
joeyrock

Quote:
Per AllThingsD:

It'll all go fine until the growth levels off, then people and shows and forums and whatever else will be cut until it's dead.. then it'll be re-launched as something else and be less than what was before... they'll be a brief spike because of 're-launch publicity' a short time will pass before it'll be taken to pieces and sold off.

Discovery networks have shareholders (which now probably includes Louderback etc) and the law demands they are considered before everything else. As soon as Rev3's bottom line starts to quiver... they'll be finished.

Considering their content and ruthless monetisation in the last couple of years (the content has gone down vs the amount of time with ads or pointless flying credits) that probably won't take long. I used to watch pretty much every show on Rev3, but now I occasionally catch a review on TRS (on youtube) and skim the odd episode of Film Riot. Who really has time to dig (pun not intended) through 30x10 second episodes of tips or some such crap to find what they want?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
evan_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariastar View Post
Payout? I want a payout! I think my family should be the poster people for Rev3 (considering I met my husband on this forum back in 2006, and out daughter was born the month you joined).

Hear that, Rev3? GIVE US SOME FAME. At least a few minutes' worth.
It's a poorly kept secret that I joined on 07-17-2005, this is just a new account. 7 years of Revision 3 lovin'

Last edited by evan_s : 05-07-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
evan_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrock View Post
It'll all go fine until the growth levels off, then people and shows and forums and whatever else will be cut until it's dead.. then it'll be re-launched as something else and be less than what was before... they'll be a brief spike because of 're-launch publicity' a short time will pass before it'll be taken to pieces and sold off.

Discovery networks have shareholders (which now probably includes Louderback etc) and the law demands they are considered before everything else. As soon as Rev3's bottom line starts to quiver... they'll be finished.

Considering their content and ruthless monetisation in the last couple of years (the content has gone down vs the amount of time with ads or pointless flying credits) that probably won't take long. I used to watch pretty much every show on Rev3, but now I occasionally catch a review on TRS (on youtube) and skim the odd episode of Film Riot. Who really has time to dig (pun not intended) through 30x10 second episodes of tips or some such crap to find what they want?
TZdaily is the only thing I never watch. Just not worth it for me with the ads, sorry to say. Everything else is fair game. TRS is interesting because with the breaking up of the show to daily segments I technically watch less, but that's because I can now pick and choose what segments to watch, as opposed to sitting through a half hour episode each week. I don't care for comic books, personally. Or rather, discussions about them.