Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Film Riot

Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM
hippie459mn

Default What HD Video camera to get.

Hello, I am looking to get an HD Video camera here in the next month and while I don't plan to shoot any big budget movies or anything with it I don't want something that I cant do a whole lot with. I don't have the money for anything like a DLSR at the moment but I do have around the $400 price and was wondering what a good camera would be to get. Any help would be awesome. Have any questions also feel free to ask. I am going to be using it for a lot of indoor use with some low light stuff here and there and also doing a good amount of outdoor stuff and has to be be 1080p (with option for 720p as well would be great but not necessary) Thank you in advance.

I know the guys did an episode on some budget video cameras some time back but I cant seem to remember how long ago or find it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:08 AM
rnagoda

I don't know if you're still looking, but one thing to consider might be future upgradeability, and whether or not you really need 1080p. For example, in your price range you could go with a slightly older Micro 4/3 setup, like a Panasonic GF3 w/ kit lens. It's not the best kit for what you are doing, but it lets you pick up some cheap lens alternatives (like vintage Canon FD lenses that you can use with an adapter), and all of this stuff can still be used if you upgrade to a more serious machine (like the GH2, Olympus OM-D or any future models (like the upcoming GH3)).

I have a GH2, and for low-light stuff I have some great old Canon lenses I picked up off of ebay for next to nothing (~$50 for a 50mm f/1.4 which is amazing in low-light, for example). A ~$400 camera won't get you quite the same results but it will get you close and when you upgrade you can take all those accessories with you and apply them to your new kit.

Anyway, just some food for thought.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
gradebfilms

Panasonic SD90s are pretty great, 1080/50p in Mp4 and 1080/25p in AVCHD. Great overall camcorder, also a nice image camera too. 21x optical zoom and good overall interface and fast auto-focus, although the manual focus is a bit slow, but controllable too.
Not sure what it's selling for in $, but I got a special London Olympics edition for 240 recently, but again that might be UK only. Otherwise you could probably still hit that price point of $400 with the normal version, same camera, just a different colour!
For the price it's probably the best out there, with very little compromise.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 PM
hippie459mn

gradebfilms, Thanks. That looks like a nice little camera.

I have a few GoPros now but that is it and looking for something that will shoot in true HD. I would get a DSLR (And I really want one) but my budget does not allow for one at this time being a single dad to a 3 year old and having a mortgage and all.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:57 PM
crossplatform

Define true HD.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
hippie459mn

What I meant is I was looking a few cameras lately that claim they where HD (720p and/or 1080p) but in fact they werent at all after reading the specs on them.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM
crossplatform

Which cameras were you looking at?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
hippie459mn

I dont remember off hand but I had went to a 2 of the local best buys looking at cameras and they were advertising them as HD cameras and they didnt even shoot 720p. I know, thats best buy for ya. lol