Revision3.com Shows Schedule Inside Revision3 Store

Go Back   Revision3 Forums > Shows > Totally Rad Show

Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
jtv

I've been thinking about this and the process of getting a directorial job is completely unknown to me. Maybe Dan can explain it a bit.

Do you meet with the producers and discuss your visions and ideas like a typical job interview?

Do you contact them or do they contact you?

How do you even find out that there's a Y The Last Man movie in the works before anyone else knows about it, does your agent do that kind of stuff for you? If so how does he find out?

Do they tell you certain things ahead of time, like budget, casting choices, locations, etc?

I really have no idea how Hollywood works

Last edited by jtv : 01-10-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM
darth-ed

All good questions, and I'd love to read Dan's answers. I'm not sure there's a one-size-fits-all answer. If you're a hot director, I'm sure you can develop your own projects and try to get funding through one of the studios. Some projects comes from the studio or producer, and they hire the director (like a job interview). Some first-time directors have their own projects (especially if they are also writers) and they try to find a producer who likes the idea/script and is willing to take a chance on them. It often helps if you've done a short film or a script that you can show to producers in such cases.

Last edited by darth-ed : 01-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
trunolimit
Elite Member

I imagine the easiest way to make it in Hollywood is the film festival route. Make a low budget Sundance winner, it gets picked up by a studio and put into limited release, it gets buzz then producers throw you scripts and you pick what project you want to do. I think the person or entities putting up the cash does the director hiring.

I learned everything I know about Hollywood from entourage.

"Typing google into google will break the internet"

Last edited by trunolimit : 01-11-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 AM
tsmith15
Elite Member

Pretty sure he's going to end up answering questions like this somewhere down the line and won't have the time to come answer them here for 12 people to read

In related news, I hope he does well, but we really don't have any idea if he can pull this off or not, and given the (relative) magnitude of this as his first movie it's going to make or break his career to speak bluntly. If he pulls this off he'll be one of those hot up and coming directors considered for many big projects, and if he blows it he'll probably never get a second chance. Good luck, and don't cast Shia the Beef.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 AM
gm_wil
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to gm_wil Send a message via MSN to gm_wil

A toast to you, Dan, with the shirt I'll be wearing when I see it.

Seeing this news made me think of sending you and London a pic of my gf wearing it while sitting on my cycle and her boy in his giant Vader helmet waving at the camera . . . feels so long ago.

I'm so happy and excited for ya, I'm just sitting here grinnin' like an idiot.

-

Last edited by gm_wil : 01-12-2013 at 02:36 AM.